• Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
cisslinger
artea_lightwind
cisslinger
artea_lightwind
cisslinger
if i ever get asked why i am terrified of neurotypical folk im going to show the asker this thread
Yeah, cause this thread is full of "neurotypical" people spouting hate, right? rolleyes

no its cause neurotypical folk think that mentally ill folk are just burdens that need to quit complaining even though they have no idea what its like to suffer daily for things they cant control
To quote Whiskey Grey here..

"I find it's mostly people online that have these issues. Many of which are self diagnosed. Even working in healthcare I don't come across as many people with these issues in real life as I do online."

If you self diagnose yourself with a mental condition and then decide to complain about it, then you need to stop complaining. Saying "you need to be respectful of my autism" to people when you don't have a medical basis is being a burden, because you're burdening those around you with your actions. Complaining about your legitimate mental disorders is another thing entirely, though that depends on the circumstance.

k what about those who cant afford to get a diagnosis , or have abusive parents that will not let them , what then ? are they suddenly not mentally ill or something : /

How would you even know you were mentally ill if you can't get a diagnosis? I can self diagnose myself with HIV, but that doesn't make it true. Claiming you have a mental disorder but not having the proof to back it up, even in the slightest, is a red flag to people that you may be lying for attention.

If you can't afford to get diagnosed, then you need to contact someone to help. Ask a friend, or a free clinic. If you have abusive parents who won't let you get diagnosed, then i think the first thing you need to worry about is getting away from them. Tell someone who can help you get away from them.

Don't hide behind excuses and claim you are ill when you have no proof. You may be mentally ill, but until you get some sort of proof, people will see you as grabbing for attention. If you don't know what you have, then seek help to clarify. if your doctor says you have an issue but he can't identify it, ask for someone who can.
People are more verbal about what's wrong with them because these days it's easier to spot. People have always been screwed up, that hasn't changed. It's just that in this day and age, ailments are easier to assess/diagnose critically.

I'm not even a nurse and I know this, come on now.
The average American diet consists of over 100 pounds of added sugars a year.
It is made of processed foods like microwave dinners, canned vegetables devoid of nutrients, boxed foods like Betty Crocker Potatoes, and sugar. There is little nutrients in these foods, and high sugar content and high chemical content.
The average lifestyle for someone in their 20s is going to school, working, going out, and having little time for oneself, or for sleep, which is not good for you, and then bad diet on top of that.
Not to mention, being in your 20s and a student, you are often poor wondering how you're going to pay your rent, and school, also stressful.
You are also worried about not finding a mate, being alone, again stressful.

You can't be healthy with that lifestyle, and it is extremely difficult, maybe even impossible, to escape that lifestyle.
I mean, you can change your diet, but you can't stop working or you'll have no money, and you can't stop socializing because that's not good for you either.
Chicken Zombie
The Ice Dervish
I was diagnosed as having several issues pertaining to being socially retarded and having anxiety due to being socially retarded. Now several years later I'm no longer a stupid little freak show going through puberty and now know how to interact with people without making them hate me.

In short, I never had any real issues, though I do sometimes still get nervous when going to do certain things in public. Nothing serious though, it does not keep me away from doing anything. I honestly wish these "I have 20,000 disorders and they make me do things! Don't blame me for acting like a freak and being an a*****e! Blame the ADHD/Anxiety/Bipolar/Schizophrenia/special snowflake syndrome!" I honestly do not believe that most of these people diagnosed with this s**t are actually that way. Their "disorders" are just an excuse to act like a douche and feel special.

I have a lot of mental disorders, and I admit I am an a*****e, not blame it on the disorders.

Then props to you <3
The Ice Dervish
I was diagnosed as having several issues pertaining to being socially retarded and having anxiety due to being socially retarded. Now several years later I'm no longer a stupid little freak show going through puberty and now know how to interact with people without making them hate me.

In short, I never had any real issues, though I do sometimes still get nervous when going to do certain things in public. Nothing serious though, it does not keep me away from doing anything. I honestly wish these "I have 20,000 disorders and they make me do things! Don't blame me for acting like a freak and being an a*****e! Blame the ADHD/Anxiety/Bipolar/Schizophrenia/special snowflake syndrome!" I honestly do not believe that most of these people diagnosed with this s**t are actually that way. Their "disorders" are just an excuse to act like a douche and feel special.

Being crazy is now the in-thing. I don't know how this happened.
~angel of the winds~
Ebony Phantom
No.

That's not a professional attitude for a nurse anyway.
Exactly you have to take what people say at face value because you don't really know whats going on in their body much less their lives.Everyone should be able to vent and complain and if it helps why not,people could be doing much worse than talking.

Have you heard the story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf?
thewaitingtree
asthma

MFPS

jogger's knee

previously ruptured and herniated disks in my lower back

---

i live most days trying to pretend nothing is wrong. admitting i'm not feeling well is losing the game.

asthma and herniated disks are legit medical conditions. I don't know what the other 2 things you mentioned are.
I know this one person who would complain constantly how sick her stomach was, saying she had to take all this Nexium and expensive prescriptive stuff, and then mentioned how the doctor told her that the reason she has so many stomach problems is because all she eats is potatoes and and pasta, and told her to eat more fresh meat and vegetables and she said, "I hate vegetables and don't know how to cook meat, so am going to continue living off of potatoes and pasta"

Aged Hunter

2,350 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
prin integrity
The Ice Dervish

"Glances to tumblr" It's almost like there are communities where you can claim all kinds of stuff and find a group of like-minded people who will echo your thoughts and encourage your bad behavior.. rofl
artea_lightwind
prin integrity
The Ice Dervish

"Glances to tumblr" It's almost like there are communities where you can claim all kinds of stuff and find a group of like-minded people who will echo your thoughts and encourage your bad behavior.. rofl

Actually, I'm basing off the people I went to university with.
I don't tend to follow mental illness Tumblrs.

Aged Hunter

2,350 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
prin integrity
artea_lightwind
prin integrity
The Ice Dervish

Actually, I'm basing off the people I went to university with.
I don't tend to follow mental illness Tumblrs.
Simply pointing out that there are places that will encourage "mental illness" and thus it's cool to have a mental disorder or two or three. If that community gets large enough, then more people flock to emulate it. It's all about trying to fit in.

And there aren't really any mental illness tumblrs(i hope), just alot of tumblr users who claim some sort of mental disorder and thus have something special to feel more unique.

Familiar Poster

6,500 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Shark Bacon
5th Dimension Morning
wow. that's a gigantic pile of dismissiveness and able privilege. stare and I had such a positive opinion of you before. ******** off.

Sorry, maybe what I wrote came off wrong.

What I mean is, there's basically 2 generations of nurses- the "old nurses" in their 50's, and the "new nurses" in their 20's. There's not a lot of in between that I've seen. I work with both. Anyway, the older girls show up and do all their work and I've never heard them complain. But the younger generation, as soon as they walk through the door, they're whining about something. Anything really. Sometimes it's a diagnosed problem, sometimes I have to hear about how their knuckles hurt- all night!

But the older generation doesn't complain at all. Never! And I know by the end of the night their back probably hurts, because my back hurts. But I appreciate that they don't whine about it.

I don't mind listening to problems. But whining about them all night is annoying, and using something like "my knuckles hurt" to try to get out of work is childish, and I hate picking up slack for these people.

and sure. I get that saying "my knuckles hurt" is no excuse for skipping work.

but you are making some VERY awful claims here. first of all, this is not a generational thing. you are claiming that millenials and Gen X folks are complaining abut petty nothings ALL THE TIME, and that older generations NEVER complain about petty bullshit.

you're mistaken on both counts. because I hear PLENTY of old farts complain about s**t that they can bloody well deal with the same as everybody else. there are lazy folks in every generation.

and lets not forget that sometimes, what somebody is calling pain, "my knuckles hurt, my back hurts, oh woe is me!" is actually alot more debiliting than the person makes it out to be themselves. because they are embarresse dto admit that it's serious, even when it is in fact preventing them from being able to function at a reliable capacity. sometimes pain is more than just pain. arthritus, osteoperosis, shingles, you name it.

and what about invisible illnesses? you completely ignored that entire problem. hell, I live wih Paranoid Schizophrenia, Multiple Personalities, and Post-Traumatic Stress!! I can't sleep at night. I have terrible nightmares that keep me awake. I sometimes have no clue what's happening, either because I have been suffering hallucinations (I spent the past several years free of them, thank the gods, but recently I've been having them again), or else I wasn't "me" when something happened and missed it entirely because I was somebody ******** else!! and if I get too strongly reminded of sydney? all bets are off. I can't think about anything else. she haunts me, even when she's not around. and when sydney is around, I completely lose my s**t.

I can barely function. I try my damnest to get through life successfully as I can, but it always turns out to be missed classes, failed tests, SO's becoming afraid of me. broken laptops, on-and-off homelessness, and being institutionalized -- if not in a mental health ward, then in a jail cell.

so if I see one more claim that "young adults these days are whiny", I'm going to lose my s**t. understand?

Familiar Poster

6,500 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
cisslinger
artea_lightwind
cisslinger
artea_lightwind
cisslinger
if i ever get asked why i am terrified of neurotypical folk im going to show the asker this thread
Yeah, cause this thread is full of "neurotypical" people spouting hate, right? rolleyes

no its cause neurotypical folk think that mentally ill folk are just burdens that need to quit complaining even though they have no idea what its like to suffer daily for things they cant control
To quote Whiskey Grey here..

"I find it's mostly people online that have these issues. Many of which are self diagnosed. Even working in healthcare I don't come across as many people with these issues in real life as I do online."

If you self diagnose yourself with a mental condition and then decide to complain about it, then you need to stop complaining. Saying "you need to be respectful of my autism" to people when you don't have a medical basis is being a burden, because you're burdening those around you with your actions. Complaining about your legitimate mental disorders is another thing entirely, though that depends on the circumstance.

k what about those who cant afford to get a diagnosis , or have abusive parents that will not let them , what then ? are they suddenly not mentally ill or something : /

not to mention the fact that people who are diagnosed still get told to "stop whining about it".

Wheezing Plague

I have some issues but I'd never dream of whining about them in public. The less attention I bring to my issues, the better.

Magical Tree

prin integrity
thewaitingtree
asthma

MFPS

jogger's knee

previously ruptured and herniated disks in my lower back

---

i live most days trying to pretend nothing is wrong. admitting i'm not feeling well is losing the game.

asthma and herniated disks are legit medical conditions. I don't know what the other 2 things you mentioned are.

MPS, sorry.. I still haven't fully accepted the diagnosis. It's myofascial pain syndrome. It's like fibromyalgia, but not. Basically a chronic pain condition with trigger points and it's... uncomfortable.

Jogger's knee (aka chrondomalacia) is this. I was told mine is caused by wear on my cartilage and my body not replacing it at a normal rate. (it's not that i was super athletic)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff