Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS THREAD NEEDS MOAR RATINGS :3

No, ratings are stupid. 0.44444444444444 44.4% [ 4 ]
Yes, and I'll up-rate it, because I love Darrin. 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 2 ]
Yes, and I'll down-rate it, because I can't stand Darrin. 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 9 ]
1 2 3 ... 18 19 20 >

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
If so, don't bother, unless you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars, as well as spend several tedious hours talking to a lawyer, court clerks, newspaper publishers, and several government agencies. Seriously though, it was a tremendously rewarding experience for me. I almost have everything changed to reflect my new identity (save my debit card and social security card).

It was fun though, in the end. My encounter with the judge on the official day it happened was every bit as anti-climactic and awkward as I hoped it would be (he thought the whole thing was every bit as risible as my mother thought it was).

Anyway, I changed the whole thing, first last and middle, and I even threw in an extra middle name for shits and giggles (that really came back to bite me in the a** at the DMV, when it was explained to me that my whole new name might not fit on the license). Anyway, my mom thinks it's stupid, and my dad is probably going to s**t bricks over it when he finds out I dropped his last name from my identity (he's been a passive-aggressive c**t to me for a while, so, I really don't care).

Buuuuuuuut, moving right along to the discussion:

Have any of you ever had to change your legal name? If so, was it as tedious and inconvenient for you as it was for me? If not, have you ever considered it?
Are you a parent or are considering becoming one? If so, how badly would it piss you off if your child decided that the name you picked for them clearly wasn't to their liking, and decided to change it?
Are you a U.S. citizen and considering reformatting your identity? If so, I could probably give you some helpful counsel. Ask me anything.

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
No. I like my name.
Wait, you're going to make a thread about changing names and you're NOT going to tell us what your new name is? Or even what your OLD name was?

That was one of the only things I cared about in this thread and I didn't care that much to start! I legitimately feel cheated.
Have any of you ever had to change your legal name (or just wanted to do it unnecessarily, for whatever reason)?
No, I actually like my name just fine, even though it's hard to say.
Are you a parent? If so, how badly would it piss you off if your child decided that the name you picked for them clearly wasn't to their liking, and decided to change it?
I'm not a parent, so it's hard to imagine how I would feel. I probably wouldn't care for the idea and would continue calling them the name I gave them regardless. XD Heck, I like some names and kind of wish my mom named me something different, but I'll just name my own kids those names and deal with it. XD
Are you a U.S. citizen and considering reformatting your identity? If so, I could probably give you some helpful counsel. Ask me anything.

No, I'm good. Though I did have the same problem you had at the DMV. I was born with 2 middle names and they could only fit one. How very annoying. >.<; The lady actually suggested I drop one of the middle names, but alas, I refuse. scream

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
The Chainsaw Ninja
Wait, you're going to make a thread about changing names and you're NOT going to tell us what your new name is? Or even what your OLD name was?

That was one of the only things I cared about in this thread and I didn't care that much to start! I legitimately feel cheated.

I'll reveal the first one, but that's it.

It's Darrin.

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
Have any of you ever had to change your legal name (or just wanted to do it unnecessarily, for whatever reason)?
I want to change my middle name, since it was from a women that I was named after is a jerk-face. She doesn't give a crap about me, so why should I have her name in mine. I want to change it to Joe-anne, after my grandmother and aunt.
Was it as tedious and inconvenient for you as it was for me?
Haven't gotten around to it yet, its just my middle name so it shouldn't be that bad.
Are you a parent? If so, how badly would it piss you off if your child decided that the name you picked for them clearly wasn't to their liking, and decided to change it?
Nope. But if they gave me good reasoning as to why they want to change it, and its nothing stupid I'd be okay with it. Maybe my son doesn't like the name Luke, maybe he identifies as a girl and wants the name Lucy.
Well, I'm Canadian so I don't think you could help me that much. whee

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Moogle Voodoo
No. I like my name.

What, always? Even as a child? I know quite a lot of children who would leap at the chance to name themselves after a favorite cartoon character.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
FaeriesAreMagic

No, I actually like my name just fine, even though it's hard to say.

I'll bet it's one of those super duper rare names that would make it easy for people to find you offline. Is it? emotion_awesome

FaeriesAreMagic
I'm not a parent, so it's hard to imagine how I would feel. I probably wouldn't care for the idea and would continue calling them the name I gave them regardless. XD Heck, I like some names and kind of wish my mom named me something different, but I'll just name my own kids those names and deal with it. XD

That's basically what my mom said:
"You can call yourself whatever stupid bullshit name you want; I'm not calling you anything beside the name I picked out at your birth".

By-the-by, What did you want to be called earlier in life?

FaeriesAreMagic
No, I'm good. Though I did have the same problem you had at the DMV. I was born with 2 middle names and they could only fit one. How very annoying. >.<; The lady actually suggested I drop one of the middle names, but alas, I refuse. scream

I had the unnerving experience of seeing one of my names get butchered so all four names would have room on my licence.
I like my name, never saw the need to change it.
I'd understand if they were given a name with a degrading meaning or if they were transgenders, otherwise I see no point to go through the drama and waste money to change a reasonable name.
I'll bet it's one of those super duper rare names that would make it easy for people to find you offline. Is it? emotion_awesome
I just googled my name and it was the second image of google, so yeah I guess so. XD It's not one of those weird names like La-a (pronounced like La dash a), but it's still pretty unique. I was named after my grandmother and I have a French last name that no one has ever heard of in North Mississippi. XD
That's basically what my mom said:
"You can call yourself whatever stupid bullshit name you want; I'm not calling you anything beside the name I picked out at your birth".

By-the-by, What did you want to be called earlier in life?

I wanted to be called my first or middle name. People at school/friends called me by my first name. Family members at home called me by my middle name. Come to think of it, that's how it still is. XD Now, I just prefer to be called my first name, but I don't mind that people still use my middle name.

Err...why did you get your name changed?

Celebrating Conversationalist

8,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Sunny Side Up 100
belive me, I'm up for it.
Sounds like quite the hassle. It's free to change your first name where I live, at least.

Have any of you ever had to change your legal name?
- No. I like my name. When I was a kid I wanted to be named "Lisa", but it wasn't serious and just a random name I liked.

Are you a parent or are considering becoming one? If so, how badly would it piss you off if your child decided that the name you picked for them clearly wasn't to their liking, and decided to change it?
- I'm not planning on becoming a parent, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a bit sad if I chose the wrong name for my child.

Are you a U.S. citizen and considering reformatting your identity?
- No.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Have any of you ever had to change your legal name? If so, was it as tedious and inconvenient for you as it was for me? If not, have you ever considered it?
No, but I've considered it. I respond faster to my Roman name than I do my real one anyway, and I use it more often.

I'd probably be hurt, but also accept that if they've found a name that they feel suits them more, then more power to them. I'd only request that they keep the family name somewhere.

I'm a UK citizen, sorry blaugh

Greedy Receiver

My whole life I have loved my name. I have a common first name, though spelled a little differently, two middle names, and I had a foreign last name but it was legally changed through marriage ro my husband's. I love my name. I feel as if I grew into it just fine.

As for my children, I don't think I would be upset so much as confused. I would like to speak wirh them about it and find the root of the issue. It's not every day someone just decides they want ro go from Chad to Fred on a whim, you know? If it was something they feel they seriously must do, I would at least request a compromise. Leaving the middle name or something. But it's ultimately not my choice. If they are able adults by that time then it is their decision and I will love them regardless.

Generous Fatcat

8,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
Flutter Fox

I want to change my middle name, since it was from a women that I was named after is a jerk-face. She doesn't give a crap about me, so why should I have her name in mine. I want to change it to Joe-anne, after my grandmother and aunt.

Feel like telling more about this person?

Flutter Fox
Haven't gotten around to it yet, its just my middle name so it shouldn't be that bad.

I'm guessing that, no matter how many of your names you're changing, it still is going to cost the same.

Flutter Fox
Nope. But if they gave me good reasoning as to why they want to change it, and its nothing stupid I'd be okay with it. Maybe my son doesn't like the name Luke, maybe he identifies as a girl and wants the name Lucy.

Judging by a lot of the mothers in my vicinity I've talked to, it's extraordinarily rare to meet a woman who would be alright with her kids changing their name legally. A few people who are parents asked me if, maybe I wasn't being selfish.

But, idgaf.

You should pat yourself on the back for being exceptionally easygoing.

Flutter Fox
Well, I'm Canadian so I don't think you could help me that much. whee

How much do you know about the Canadian way of doing this? Does the cost and difficulty vary by province/territory?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff