Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sustained Luck
r33na1
i usually find that people have something good about their situation. for example, have you ever read "the sound and the fury" by faulkner? the books starts off the point of view of a retarded man and then switches into the point of view of his harvard student brother. the retarded man doesn't have to think about nearly as many things as we do, he doesn't have to deal with nearly as many social problems and enjoy life as it is. in "flowers for algernon" a retarded guy undergoes a surgery that allows him to have the same learning capacity as normal people, but becoming aware of his situation and the world around him, he becomes incredibly unhappy with the world.

Flowers for Algernon is a love for me. heart I just wish they gave the whole book instead of a little section.

yeah, i really wanna re-read it <3 i think thats one of the first books that ever really made me cry and it really made me consider the feelings of mentally retarded people (i mean, its not like i was an a*****e or anything to them before, i just never really thought about it).

Original Player

11,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Perfect Setup 150
I've never felt bad about being in a better position than other people. If it's intelligence, then I can only be grateful I'm not ignorant. There is plenty I still don't know but I actively try to learn. If they don't then it's not my fault. If they cannot then I can feel bad FOR them but I do not feel guilty because I have that ability and they do not. If it's attractiveness, that's not something I can actively control. No guilt. If it's more of a financial thing then hell no, I absolutely do not feel bad about having more money than someone. I have had to work my a** off for years to get where I am and, quite frankly, it's not that far.

There is just no reason at all to feel bad about being better than someone else in any way unless you are actively trying to rub it in their faces. Then, you should only feel bad that you're a d**k.

Original Player

11,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Perfect Setup 150
r33na1
Sustained Luck
r33na1
i usually find that people have something good about their situation. for example, have you ever read "the sound and the fury" by faulkner? the books starts off the point of view of a retarded man and then switches into the point of view of his harvard student brother. the retarded man doesn't have to think about nearly as many things as we do, he doesn't have to deal with nearly as many social problems and enjoy life as it is. in "flowers for algernon" a retarded guy undergoes a surgery that allows him to have the same learning capacity as normal people, but becoming aware of his situation and the world around him, he becomes incredibly unhappy with the world.

Flowers for Algernon is a love for me. heart I just wish they gave the whole book instead of a little section.

yeah, i really wanna re-read it <3 i think thats one of the first books that ever really made me cry and it really made me consider the feelings of mentally retarded people (i mean, its not like i was an a*****e or anything to them before, i just never really thought about it).

Flowers for Algernon is my favorite book. I have read it about three times. <3
Nah, I deserve it.

Blessed Junior

r33na1
Sustained Luck
r33na1

I understand what you mean. That book is one of the reasons why "making a fool" out of someone really ticks me off. If someone hides something from someone, no matter what it is, I just feel really bother by it.

The Committee Staff Member

Soffish
Or how about when you are beating somebody at a game so horribly, that you scale it back and let them catch up to give them confidence?

Idk, I always won whenever we'd play a game. Not even being a snob, winning was the norm for me. So I got used to scaling it back so people wouldn't get so pissed off when they lost.

I've been in this situation, and I would never give them a chance of winning. Even feeling bad, all I would do is tell them where they went wrong. gonk

Tiny Sex Symbol

nitznitz
Have you ever seen an adult who is ugly, unatrractive in any way and in the mental age of a toddler or younger?

I know that I heard that those people exist. It made me feel bad about being better than them. It made me ask myself:"What did I do to deserve being better than that poor person? Why did I get luchy and he didn't?"

Discuss:
1. How does it make you feel when you see/hear about a completely(as in in nearly every way if not in every way) handicapped person?
2. When seeing people who count as less than you in something or everything, do you feel your hear dropping to your socks?
3. Or do you enjoy the so-called Schadenfreude?

Damnit this thread makes me feel like a total cocky dumbass, but it's the only way to get this off my mind.

When I see a person in the "mental age of a toddler or younger", I feel as though I'm the one with the mental disorder. They're better people then you and I. When I see someone who is (ugly?), I'm guessing by your definition this means overweight, ratty clothes, poor hygiene? I try to HELP them, give them some clothes or money. There are underlying reasons as to why people are who they are.

By the way, there's a difference between narcissism and being a dickhead.

Rainbow Smoker

I don't really go around thinking I'm better than people. Better is such a vague word to begin with, I don't think I could be completely better than another person in every way.

Kawaii Sentai

User Image
Things arent always as they appear. I also dont feel bad for those kinds of people because I just dont think that way, I dont look at a hobo and go "Oh look at him I feel so bad that im so much better than him" Its more like " I wonder what he could be doing if times were easier"
User Image
In my Psychology class there was this girl who always loved to talk about how good she was at helping friends with problems, how she could really get to the core of the problem, etc.

I was always in her group during case studies, and I ALWAYS figured out the problem before her, I solved the issues, I brought up information she hadn't really noticed, and I was simply better at getting to the root of a problem than she was.

She HATED me, she looked at me funny, rolled her eyes when I answered questions, would always try to argue with me when I'd bring crap up.

I felt kind of bad because she was REEEEALLLLY in to psychology and I was just better than her at it.
I wish I was Michael Jordan.
oh man where i live there are so many homeless
i feel like im surrounded by these kinds sad
i think about it all the time

and i dont always carry change and cant really give out change just whenever
yes i feel extremely bad

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

Only when playing board/video games. I'm not very competitive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff