Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I got s**t earlier for making minimum wage.
I have pretty valid reasons for it, for the record. I was laid off from a job that paid a lot better and it's hard to get a good job after that. I also am transsexual, and face a lot of work discrimination. I am in the process of changing my name, which is not a simple process, so that I can get a better job again. These are NOT excuses. I live in a VERY conservative area. So people do actively discriminate. The issue is, yes, even though it is illegal, it is VERY difficult to PROVE it's discrimination, and, I cannot afford a lawyer anyway. Despite that, I am getting a consultation from a lawyer to see if I should sue my old job or not, because they did some irresponsible s**t that put me in debt. Basically they did stuff that I can prove wasn't legal, and it resulted in my insurance falling out from under me, and I'm still getting bills a year later. So not only am I paying a ton of s**t off that I shouldn't have to pay, but when I look for work, people discriminate. And no, I can't go pretend to be a woman. I look too male (which is obviously a good thing). Hence changing my name so no one has to know I'm trans.

Does your income define you?
If your income is low, do you have a good reason for it (age, inexperience, location, etc).
Do you judge people by how much money they make?
How much do you make, if you don't mind sharing?
Did someone hand you your job/position/status, or did you earn it?

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
No. How much money a person makes doesn't mean much.

If your income is low, do you have a good reason for it (age, inexperience, location, etc).
Laziness and loyalty.

No. I know awful people that make next to nothing. Nice people that make the same. Nice people that make lots of money and ******** assholes that make a s**t ton.

$10/hour and I work 30-32 hours a week.

Earn. I'm a key holder at work. I don't ask for a bunch of days off, I'm always willing to cover for someone else, I'm trustworthy, efficient in my job, creative with product placement, friendly to customers, and I know when to follow rules to the letter or when to bend them. Guy buys a couple hundred dollars worth of cigars and then goes, "Oh I need a cheap little cutter too." I throw it in for free, cause it's what the boss would have done. 3 bucks is well worth making the guy happy, and happy customer is going to keep coming back.
I don't believe one's income does define the person, but I've had worked a low-paying job ( Elderly care night temp, ugh burning_eyes ) and my colleagues did have quite a few insecurities connected to their income and low education - hence being overly-defensive and generally unpleasant towards any perceived threat. ( I got the whole "Oh you're a uni student, do you think you're better then us?" attitude before I could even open my mouth.)

So I see where the low-income stigma might be coming from, even though I don't believe anyone should be discriminated for it (or anything else for that matter).

I'm a student, so I live on my scholarship. I also sometimes work at my university as a lab assistant for a couple of computer courses.
It's a pretty decent job, pays ~$25 an hour, but I only work for 40 hours during the whole course and 30% of my income goes to taxes anyways. ( Sweden, the land of IKEA, meatballs and high taxes) And I damn well earned my job. I aced both courses I'm assisting in and I know the labs inside out.
Your income does not determine your worth. People who say that are ignorant and are susceptible to things that could potentially put them in financial trouble.

Although people are prone to judging each other, so sometimes judging others may even be beyond them.

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
Of monetary worth/value, obviously it does.
Otherwise no. It doesn't.

Definitely not. I'm working way below minimum wages despite having a great degree/experience.
Yep. I'm doing uni full time. I don't mind the crap pay since I can do it anytime I want and do it from my bedroom. My partner also supports me so I don't really need to earn money. I just like to on the side.
Kind of but not in a sense you would think. I judge more by how much they make in what area they make it in. I deal with corruption and easy money usually ties into that.
My full-time job is USD$10/hour. My work in my partner's company doesn't earn me money but that work goes into covering my (and his) entire living expenses.
This question is a bit iffy. Jobs often tend to be about networking. Still we worked hard to be where we're at. I also have 7 years' experience working in my two fields despite being only 21 so my resume looks pretty damn good.

Merry Tipper

No. Although it impacts my lifestyle, it doesn't affect who I am.

Once I pass the probationary period my wage is set to rise.

No but also I don't go around disclosing my wages. It's nobodies business and nobody goes around sharing theirs.

Average salary for my age group (>£20k)

I started as a temp and gained the confidence of my peers. I was offered the permanent by showing them there was a need for my role by defining the skills I had to offer and how I could apply that to the company. If I hadn't of done this, I wouldn't have got the job permanently. So I earnt mine.
Dr Raymond Stantz

1. Does it define me personally? Well without getting into all the perspectives involved in this question, I'd say yes it does define who I am. Simple reason is because whenever I tell people how I get money, I tend to get a reaction from people and I can tell it changes how they see me. Usually it's a negative reaction. When I tell people that I don't have a job and that I get my money from my investments, I can tell people don't like hearing it. I can tell people are judging me in some way, maybe they think I'm a snob who thinks he's better than everyone else, maybe they think I'm lying just to show off. I'm not sure why, but I can tell people are judging me when they hear me say that I'm an investor. I bet if I was older I wouldn't get this reaction, but the fact that I'm a young person makes people's stomach turn for some reason.

The only people who ever seem to see it as a positive that I'm an investor are other investors, which mostly is males significantly older than I am. Like sometimes I would talk to some of my professors about investing, and they seemed to be impressed that someone at my age is already making money in this way.

Young people though and women tend to see me as an investor as a negative, for some reason they have some animus towards me after me telling them that I make money in that way.

2. Well my income varies, so I don't really have a set income.

3. I don't judge people for how much money they make, but I do judge people for what job they have. It's not the money part that is significant to me, it's what they do that is significant to me.

4. Like I said, my income varies. I'm not going to disclose how much it varies though.

5. Both. I was born into success and wealth (we're not super wealthy though, like we don't have a mansion and we don't own BMW's in stuff, no swimming pool, etc, etc). I was raised by two parents who had a healthy relationship with each other and were good parents, no abuse, never had to worry about being thrown out of our house, etc, etc. These things do have significant effects on people, and the fact that I was raised in a healthy environment is a huge advantage and in a way has handed me a lot of stuff. However I've been investing my entire life, and since as far as I can remember, even when I was just a little kid in elementary school, I have been stashing money into financial accounts of some sort. So a huge part of my current situation is because I was handed it, but it also has to do with the way I was raised, I was raised to save my money and invest it, not to spend a lot of money, etc, etc.

As a result of my behavior of saving money, I got to miss out on a lot of things my friends got to get. I think I was the only one of my friends who did not have a car (Back in high school), I actually still don't have my own car, still share cars with my family. So yes I would say that in the sense of being handed stuff, I was handed the mentality and the economic privilege to become an investor, however all the money I'm making and all that money I saved was because of choices I made.
Only one type a' person thinks a person is defined by their paycheck:

3nodding

Quotable Phantom

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Most of the time, like it or not, your income does define you.
            I say this because most people are materialistic and derive their importance based on their possessions or lack thereof. Some cultures are worse than others.
            New Air Jordans anyone?

Only a bad explanation makes for a bad reason. There's no such thing as a bad reason, since it's because there's no such thing as a requirement.
            My logic rests on living off the land. That isn't a matter of inheritance of fiscal values or material uses that's unnatural or carries the need for a systematic upkeep.

No. I judge people's values of fiscal spending/saving based on their goals and how they treat other people. Especially a philanthropist.

Even if I was comfortable with sharing that information, I wouldn't.
            I don't like sharing that kind of information, concerning my wages, because I do not have a sense of value in myself based on it.

Yesterday I had realized, once again, that nothing I have is of my own power. Absolutely nothing.
            It's not because I didn't earn it or use my own devices to obtain it.. It's because everything is handed to me in some fashion. I may have to give back, or however you want to define it, but it is always in the good graces of someone else. Even living off of the land carries the same nuance. All because things come from somewhere that is essentially not of our control.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Dr Raymond Stantz

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
I never judge people based on how much money they make, unless they're making it dishonestly. And 'dishonestly' can go as far as, not actually working for your money. I know people who work minimum wage are people who need that minimum wage because it's better than nothing, and I know good and well that they would rather make more. In this economy, you have to take what you can get, it's sad that our country got to this point, where people just take and it's now considered appropriate, smart, and natural, but how many of us are actually living out our dream jobs?

Tipsy Sex Symbol

11,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
No. How much money a person makes doesn't mean much.

Was for inexperience...but been here for about 8-9 months and no raise...GM told me "we don't give raises."...

No. There are rich nice people and rich assholes. Same goes for low income people.

7.25/hr. 35-40+ hrs a week.

No one handed me my job did all the foot work myself. Actually had to impress the manager and practice my interview the day before.
I'm not sure what you mean by money defining a person, so I guess I'm saying no.

Adored Admirer

Society makes earning more money mean you're worth more.

Dapper Werewolf

Any job even if its minimum wage is better then no job at all.

Timid Man-Lover

7,550 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

I don't see why it really would.

Age and inexperience. Location isn't a huge issue.

Only when they're pissed off at me and have nothing to tell me off about but my low income job.

$8.50 an hour, hours are unstable. Tend to be around 20-40. I've been considering picking up a second job.

It's really hard to say. I got hired for my obvious knowledge in aquatics. But I didn't do all that stuff about filling out a resume and everything. One of the managers just asked for my contact info and hired me.

In regards to levels of income, I don't judge people on the job they have. But I do judge them on if they have a job, or are actively looking for a job. A lot of my family members have cousins and whatnot who refuse to work and live in their parents basement. At 30-50 years old. My dad's brother lived with his mom his entire life, and then died not long after his mom did at 56 years old. That's just messed up. If you're actively looking for a job, that's good. If you're mooching off friends and family members cause you don't want to work, ******** off.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff