Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think doctors are underpaid?

Yes 0.22448979591837 22.4% [ 11 ]
No 0.77551020408163 77.6% [ 38 ]
Total Votes:[ 49 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

medic61310
I'll stick to being a critical care nurse making 65-70k a year.

I won't complain.

Edit- If doctors think that they're underpaid, they should take a look at Paramedics. Most of them will never break 40k without a second job.

Paramedics only need to take a program at a community college.
Doctors have 4 years at a university, 4 years at med school, 3-8 years of residency.

Not to say they aren't valuable, because they are very important. With out them the patient wouldn't get to the doctor. But the investment and training is no where near the same.
Iced Vodka
Well, I don't know if they're underpaid, but they're definitely earning one of the highest job salaries, seeing that most jobs give an average of 60k a year, 200k a year seems so much more in comparison. Besides, most 'doctors' finish their residency in their early 30s or late 20s, after going through med school and getting a bachelors degree.

And if you made 60k a year for 40 hours you would make 120k if you worked a doctors hours.
Revie Creation
Jesse Troy
Revie Creation
no, if they can afford to buy fancy cars and big a** houses, they're not underpaid, they're just bad with money. teachers are underpaid and anyone with a minimum wage job is underpaid

A doctors net per hour wage can be only a few dollars more than that of a high school teacher.
A resident doctor makes about minimum wage.

The median gross income among internal medicine physicians is $205,441.7 The median gross income among high school teachers, including the value of benefits but excluding their pension, is about $50,000 per year.

Accounting for time spent training, student loan debt, years worked, hours worked per year and disproportionate income taxes – the net adjusted hourly wage of an internist is $34.46 per hour, while that of a high school teacher is $30.47 per hour.

Though the gross income of an internal medicine physician is 4 times that of a high school teacher, the adjusted net hourly wage of an internal medicine physician is only 1.13 times that of a high school teacher.

Most people would argue that high school teachers are not paid enough, yet for some reason most people would also argue that physicians are paid too much.

http://benbrownmd.wordpress.com/2010/06/20/informedconsent/

well that maybe where you live, but it's not true here. and i doubt any doctor is getting paid 8$/hr

This is in America and is net pay not gross.
Jesse Troy
medic61310

I won't complain.

Edit- If doctors think that they're underpaid, they should take a look at Paramedics. Most of them will never break 40k without a second job.

Doctors have 4 years at a university, 4 years at med school, 3-8 years of residency.

Not to say they aren't valuable, because they are very important. With out them the patient wouldn't get to the doctor. But the investment and training is no where near the same.

Actually, Paramedics go through more ongoing training than doctors do. Altogether 3 years at a community college + countless con ed hours to keep their certification.

I would've loved to had gone to med school, so I'm not hating on doctors lol. I just know that they shouldn't be complaining.

Reveler

8,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Profitable 100
Jesse Troy
Revie Creation
Jesse Troy
Revie Creation
no, if they can afford to buy fancy cars and big a** houses, they're not underpaid, they're just bad with money. teachers are underpaid and anyone with a minimum wage job is underpaid

A doctors net per hour wage can be only a few dollars more than that of a high school teacher.
A resident doctor makes about minimum wage.

The median gross income among internal medicine physicians is $205,441.7 The median gross income among high school teachers, including the value of benefits but excluding their pension, is about $50,000 per year.

Accounting for time spent training, student loan debt, years worked, hours worked per year and disproportionate income taxes – the net adjusted hourly wage of an internist is $34.46 per hour, while that of a high school teacher is $30.47 per hour.

Though the gross income of an internal medicine physician is 4 times that of a high school teacher, the adjusted net hourly wage of an internal medicine physician is only 1.13 times that of a high school teacher.

Most people would argue that high school teachers are not paid enough, yet for some reason most people would also argue that physicians are paid too much.

http://benbrownmd.wordpress.com/2010/06/20/informedconsent/

well that maybe where you live, but it's not true here. and i doubt any doctor is getting paid 8$/hr

This is in America and is net pay not gross.

well i'm not American
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

I won't complain.

Actually, Paramedics go through more ongoing training than doctors do. Altogether 3 years at a community college + countless con ed hours to keep their certification.

I would've loved to had gone to med school, so I'm not hating on doctors lol. I just know that they shouldn't be complaining.

Doctors also have to renew licience and certifications. The education never really stops.

If you really would love to go to med school, you should do it.
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

I won't complain.

Doctors also have to renew licience and certifications. The education never really stops.

I wish sad one of my biggest dreams. I'm a "field doctor". Could never afford to put myself through med school, my grades were never really stellar.

...my, the things I would go back and change given the chance.
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

I won't complain.

I wish sad one of my biggest dreams. I'm a "field doctor". Could never afford to put myself through med school, my grades were never really stellar.

I don't have the money, most people don't. They just really want it so they get as much aid and scholarships as they can and rack up a ton of debt.

There is always DO schools. They also like to see an upward swing.

Have you taken the premed courses? All these math and sciences are worth a lot of credit and should pull up your gpa.
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

I won't complain.

I don't have the money, most people don't. They just really want it so they get as much aid and scholarships as they can and rack up a ton of debt.

Have you taken the premed courses? All these math and sciences are worth a lot of credit and should pull up your gpa.

No, I was an idiot and dropped out of college my first year because of an addiction problem. I'm currently taking the classes needed for nursing, but that's about it. Critical care nursing or flight medic. None of which compare to becoming a doctor, but they'll suffice.
I'm still immensely hesitant on my future goals.

I'd absolutely love to study to become a psychiatrist, but the process is so tedious and i'm not the brightest student academically. I'm also very scared of accumulating all those student loans debt.

I know happiness is priceless, but I don't think i'm willing to dedicate most of my life studying with mediocre residency wages. gonk

The thing with being a doctor is;
yes the salary after residency can be massive and very generous
However, a good chunk of it goes to paying off debt, interest, bills, etc. Ahhh it's a huge debate i'm battling with myself.

And this is if you're able to get accepted with the EXTREMELY LARGE AND BRILLIANT competition for med school.

I dunno.
I just hope I have my life figured out soon

medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

No, I was an idiot and dropped out of college my first year because of an addiction problem. I'm currently taking the classes needed for nursing, but that's about it. Critical care nursing or flight medic. None of which compare to becoming a doctor, but they'll suffice.

So your gpa is beyond repair?
Don't want to be 80 and looking back on your life wishing you had of went for it.
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

Don't want to be 80 and looking back on your life wishing you had of went for it.

Not sure, possibly could get my associates in general education and go from there. I excel when I actually try, which is something that I never did in high school.

Trust me, I'm already starting to regret my past for ruining any shot at my desired future.
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

I won't complain.

I had wanted to join the Navy as a combat corpsman and have college and med school completely paid for. That was the best shot I had.
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

Not sure, possibly could get my associates in general education and go from there. I excel when I actually try, which is something that I never did in high school.

Trust me, I'm already starting to regret my past for ruining any shot at my desired future.

You could totally go to a CC and transfer. Good thing med schools don't care about high school.
Are you sure your shot is ruinined?
There is also post bac programs that can help or even reserve you a seat if you maintain good grades.
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310
Jesse Troy
medic61310

You could totally go to a CC and transfer. Good thing med schools don't care about high school.
Are you sure your shot is ruinined?
There is also post bac programs that can help or even reserve you a seat if you maintain good grades.

Well, I'm 21 now. Need to go ahead and get my RN and/or Paramedic, then start taking classes to work towards my MD.

I planned on doing this, if it didn't go through, I can't say that I didn't try.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff