Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Phantom

Just curious. I know, I know. "Labels are for soup cans!" But people label you, whether you like it or not. What have people called you? What have you called yourself? Does the "label" you fit into annoy you or liberate you? Do you label people? Are you part of a subculture?

I've had people label me as: f*****t, hipster, punk, scene, emo, raver, metalhead

I fit a couple of those, I think, but I don't rave, and I actually don't know how someone can be both scene and emo. But I've got the whole angst thing down, I guess. Though I kind of hate emo music. I get called a metalhead because of the clothing I wear a lot of the time and yes, I do blast metal through my headphones a lot. But I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough about metal to really be considered a metalhead.

The labels people put on me gets me harassment sometimes. I find when people AREN'T labeling me, and taking me at face value, that they tend to admire me rather than admonish me. Additionally, the labels that I personally identify with, people are often quick to tell me "NOPE. YOU AREN'T THAT." I think the trick to belonging to a subculture is NOT saying you do, and just participating in the functions and being into the stuff that group is into. As soon as you say, "I'M PART OF [GROUP]," people immediately want to kick you out.

I've had a few people (online only) say I thrive on labels. I don't. But I do acknowledge them. And if someone labels me, I'll do it right the ******** back. Then they b***h. They can dish it out, but they can't take it.

Thoughts?

Dapper Phantom

Silence_Walker
Desideraht
You're reading me totally wrong and it's hilarious.

I dunno, you just seemed like you were taking genuine offense at Roman's general Roman-ness.
Mah bad. emotion_8c
Between you and me, I can't explain that properly without looking like I'm retroactively covering my a**.

Profitable Prophet

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
i like the andy warhol campbell's soup cans

Fashionable Genius

I've never been called a poseur, and I don't think I fit any type of label. Just ignore the idiots on here. I don't think you're poseur and never have. emotion_hug
Ginger. emotion_awesome
I seriously haven't been labeled anything but that... and my label is very accurate, cause I am a ginger. 4laugh
Erm, not since early high school?
Labels aren't really a part of me. They don't fit me in any way.

Dapper Phantom

Elizabeth of York
I've never been called a poseur, and I don't think I fit any type of label. Just ignore the idiots on here. I don't think you're poseur and never have. emotion_hug
Thanks, love.
I haven't had anyone on Gaia call me a poseur specifically, but they will call me emo because they think it gets on my nerves I guess. I don't think I'm emo, but whatever. I like a lot of the emo hairstyles so it doesn't bug me.

tj is no butt face
Ginger. emotion_awesome
I seriously haven't been labeled anything but that... and my label is very accurate, cause I am a ginger. 4laugh
It's like how black kids get labeled "black". And I'm saying this because one of my friends who is black told me about this. He said that no matter how nerdy he is, he's labeled as black, not as a nerd.

Dapper Phantom

Imotic
I'm 22 years old and people still label me. So I don't think it's a high school thing at all. People label me online and in person. They label me when they meet me, too. I've had people go, "Oh! I see we've got a real punk here!" or "So do you rave? You look like you rave." I suppose the more bold your look is, the more likely you are to be stereotyped for life.

I think everyone has a label, even if people label them as "average" because they are bland and have no real personality.
Desideraht
Imotic
I'm 22 years old and people still label me. So I don't think it's a high school thing at all. People label me online and in person. They label me when they meet me, too. I've had people go, "Oh! I see we've got a real punk here!" or "So do you rave? You look like you rave." I suppose the more bold your look is, the more likely you are to be stereotyped for life.

I think everyone has a label, even if people label them as "average" because they are bland and have no real personality.

I only meant I haven't had them openly applied to me since early high school, not that it doesn't exist beyond high school. Although, to be honest, I personally haven't heard much of it since high school.
But I guess, the fact that people don't say things to my face doesn't mean much. I get adorable a lot. But I don't think that counts as a label? People probably assume I'm a lesbian. They probably assume I'm shy in a lot of cases. I don't really know. I wish people said things to my face. I have no idea how other people perceive me. It'sweirdtalkingtoyouonthisaccountbecauseIknowyoubutyoudon'tknowme.

Dapper Phantom

Imotic
Desideraht
Imotic

I only meant I haven't had them openly applied to me since early high school, not that it doesn't exist beyond high school. Although, to be honest, I personally haven't heard much of it since high school.
But I guess, the fact that people don't say things to my face doesn't mean much. I get adorable a lot. But I don't think that counts as a label? People probably assume I'm a lesbian. They probably assume I'm shy in a lot of cases. I don't really know. I wish people said things to my face. I have no idea how other people perceive me. It'sweirdtalkingtoyouonthisaccountbecauseIknowyoubutyoudon'tknowme.
I run into it a lot. I think it's something people run into more if they are into subcultures, and I am very into music, so I run into a lot of subcultures and labeling.

Adorable may fall under an "average" label, where people aren't exactly saying you fit a "group". Idk, I get called cute/sexy/hot but it's usually by people who like alternative looking people. I get people saying stuff to my face and behind my back. The gossip about me is WAY huger than I thought it ever was. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. I guess I'm glad I'm memorable?

You know me but I don't know you... is this an IRL thing?
Desideraht
Imotic
Desideraht
Imotic

I run into it a lot. I think it's something people run into more if they are into subcultures, and I am very into music, so I run into a lot of subcultures and labeling.

Adorable may fall under an "average" label, where people aren't exactly saying you fit a "group". Idk, I get called cute/sexy/hot but it's usually by people who like alternative looking people. I get people saying stuff to my face and behind my back. The gossip about me is WAY huger than I thought it ever was. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. I guess I'm glad I'm memorable?

You know me but I don't know you... is this an IRL thing?

It's an LD thing.
Idk. I don't really fit a "group," but I'm not exactly average. I have a very distinct style and people remember me for it. But it doesn't exactly fit any proper labels I guess.
Desideraht

tj is no butt face
Ginger. emotion_awesome
It's like how black kids get labeled "black". And I'm saying this because one of my friends who is black told me about this. He said that no matter how nerdy he is, he's labeled as black, not as a nerd.
idk why the hell people aren't original. your friend obv. knows he's black just like i obv. know i'm ginger. there's literally no reason to say it out loud

Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
I just get called a hobo. neutral Since that's how I dress most of the time.

I tend to shock them when I'm in my work or outing gear. Only wear that stuff to 'fit in' since they might kick us out of the restaurants I go too and business clothes is self-explanatory.

Don't have a label past that.

Dapper Phantom

Imotic
It's an LD thing.
Idk. I don't really fit a "group," but I'm not exactly average. I have a very distinct style and people remember me for it. But it doesn't exactly fit any proper labels I guess.
Oh. Well I basically assume often that people in LD have mules and that I can never really know who is who.
Interesting. It makes me curious, but I also think it's rude to say "HEY CAN I SEE YOU SO I CAN LABEL YOU," lol.

Dapper Phantom

geminikitten
I just get called a hobo. neutral Since that's how I dress most of the time.

I tend to shock them when I'm in my work or outing gear. Only wear that stuff to 'fit in' since they might kick us out of the restaurants I go too and business clothes is self-explanatory.

Don't have a label past that.
I wear workout clothes (which I don't think that's what you're talking about? I'm a little confused on that) a lot when I'm not wearing full punk/goth/other alt gear. Some people think it's weird because I can go from hardcore to wearing exercise clothes, though I do make sure all my exercise clothes are black, lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff