Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
In my lifetime I've heard many stereotypes about races. Such as White boys can't jump, Black people love chicken, middle easterners make bombs, asians are geniuses and the list goes on. Whats your opinion on them? When I moved to Texas I've heard some pretty absurd ones and people always seem to bring it up. One example of one is that all of Africa is the dirt villages that people see on t.v. Its more of a ignorance problem rather than a stereotype but its blown out of proportion here though. But anyways whats your opinions on them?

Friendly Noob

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Timid 100
A lot of stereotypes originate from truth, but people blow them up so much to the point of being absolutely absurd.

As for the one about Asians being geniuses, that's only from an American's point of view. Any developed country outside of the US generally has students who score higher IQs than those of the states.
I suppose all stereotypes have some grain of truth to them, not matter how little.
I'm Chinese and I can tell you a large majority of immigrant parents put pressure on their kids to be academically smart or multi-talented. Thus the whole 'Asians are geniuses' type of thing floating around.

Liberal Receiver

Can someone explain to me what the "white boys can't jump" thing even means? I've asked people in meat space before but none have answered me.

I'd like to think I don't. Except that when I think of the middle east I think of three things - India(I know it's actually not.), Islam, and in general - a lot of olive skinned-people.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
soulvent
A lot of stereotypes originate from truth, but people blow them up so much to the point of being absolutely absurd.

As for the one about Asians being geniuses, that's only from an American's point of view. Any developed country outside of the US generally has students who score higher IQs than those of the states.

True. I was looking into doing studying abroad and things like that but alot of the times americans fail classes because they are too fast paced or requires more than what they are use to . Although there are some oddballs like Germany xD

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
i S P A S T ii C
I suppose all stereotypes have some grain of truth to them, not matter how little.
I'm Chinese and I can tell you a large majority of immigrant parents put pressure on their kids to be academically smart or multi-talented. Thus the whole 'Asians are geniuses' type of thing floating around.

I have a good friend whose mother stresses her out like that even though she's smart she's a bit more to the lazy side lol. Her mom gets on her alot. And then I have another that's from Laos and her parents convinced her that no one is good enough for her unless their Japanese Chinese or from some other similar Asian country lol.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Jason0690
Can someone explain to me what the "white boys can't jump" thing even means? I've asked people in meat space before but none have answered me.

I'd like to think I don't. Except that when I think of the middle east I think of three things - India(I know it's actually not.), Islam, and in general - a lot of olive skinned-people.

I think it basically means they can't jump as well as others. Like in sports or something.
I remember most middle eastern places because they have stan at the end of them like pakistan,and such. Also india even though they are supposed to be asian they just dont have the skin color

Dapper Phantom

Hmm. Not necessarily... but some of the stereotypes have merit. Like a lot of them are cultural, so people inherit a lot of the traits from their families.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Hitch Slap
Hmm. Not necessarily... but some of the stereotypes have merit. Like a lot of them are cultural, so people inherit a lot of the traits from their families.

Personally I believe its when and where you were raised and also like you said who raised you. Because I could almost guarantee that nearly every racist that I have ever met/seen has gotten the habit/idea from their parents or guardians just by seeing them when they pick up their children or by the way they act

Rainbow Fatcat

Yes, to a certain degree some are true. Sometimes people try to fit into stereotypes to feel a sense of identity or belonging.

Greedy Raider

4,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
User Image

➠ ➠ It's been said already but yeah. Most stereotypes exist because they come from truth. I still don't believe it should be said that all -insert race here- do so and so... But most... I think people should just let it slide.
We shouldn't be all uptight about these things, 'cause some of them are really funny, or flattering.
Some stereotypes came from truth. But I don't expect every race to act like their stereotypes.

If they do, I'd find it amusing though. rofl

Anxious Prophet

Stereotypes have to start somewhere.

A lot of people fit them, some don't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items