Welcome to Gaia! ::

We were talking about applying for financial aid in class and there were a couple guys who didn't know anything about the Selective Service.

Are you registered?
How did you find out?

FYI: If you don't register by 26 you won't be able to get a federal job or federal aid.

I'm FTM, but have been thinking of trying to register using the mail in form.

You don't need to put a social down with the mail in so I don't understand how they will verify your identity.
And you can use any mailing address.
I really would prefer a card, because I can't change my ID to male until after I've hit 26.

This seems like it could work. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Distinct Codger

I'm registered with it. I knew 3-4 years in advance that I'd have to do it, I think my step dad told me.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

You have to be registered with it in the state of New Mexico once you're age 18 or you won't be able to renew your drivers license or get a state-issued ID (I dunno if it's the same state to state). I only know this because I work for the MVD and have to ask it constantly. User Image

User ImageUser Image

Clever Goat

My husband got a card when he registered. It's kind of a flimsy piece of s**t, really. It's already faded out and you can't read it.
Yes, I registered when I turned 18 and threw out the card the day after it expired. 24 or 26 or whenever it was.

Magnetic Sex Symbol

I'm female, so no. I had a friend who didn't register until he was 20 or 21, but only out of laziness.

Why can't you get your ID changed until you are 26?

Tipsy Genius

13,675 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
SEP20
We were talking about applying for financial aid in class and there were a couple guys who didn't know anything about the Selective Service.

Are you registered?
How did you find out?

FYI: If you don't register by 26 you won't be able to get a federal job or federal aid.

I'm FTM, but have been thinking of trying to register using the mail in form.

You don't need to put a social down with the mail in so I don't understand how they will verify your identity.
And you can use any mailing address.
I really would prefer a card, because I can't change my ID to male until after I've hit 26.

This seems like it could work. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I'm 25 and changed my name and gender marker over at the DMV and fed government a couple months ago, and the DMV signed me up then, I think. My school says I'm in the selective service system, but I did get a letter from the government telling me I 'needed' to sign up.
You can get a carry letter from selective service that says you're exempt from signing up, but that route looks like a pain in the a** to do. Why can't you change your ID to male until you're 26? What state do you live in and have you started physically transitioning yet? (You don't have to answer if you don't want. It's kinda sensitive questions.)

Demonic Ally

Not old enough yet, probably will though.

Not likely the draft will happen again, and if it does I'll register as a CO

Invisible Gekko

9,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Hell no, ******** that s**t.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
I registered when I was 17. You can probably do it online now.

I'm old enough now that I'm pretty sure I don't even have to update my address when I move. If there's a draft they'll take the young bucks first.

Hallowed Wench

Yes because I'm not a idiot who actually pays attention to life and didn't have deadbeats for parents.

Almost 30 now, so Selective Service does matter to me anymore since I'm not going to be drafted anytime soon, 1 for age and 2 because I'm mtf.

Hallowed Wench

Obscurus

I'm old enough now that I'm pretty sure I don't even have to update my address when I move. If there's a draft they'll take the young bucks first.
20, then 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 19, and 18 is the order of ages drafted.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
Umbral_Necropolitan
Obscurus

20, then 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 19, and 18 is the order of ages drafted.

Yeah, I'm 27 so I think I'm good. You kids go wear 'em down and then us old ******** will brag about how we finished the job. xp

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
I've never heard of this before.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
Pink Plaid
I've never heard of this before.

I don't know if Canada has Selective Service. I'm pretty sure women aren't required to sign up anyway so that may be why you've never heard of anything like it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff