Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hot Exhibitionist

9,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Conciousness
I
By being depressed, unless you get to a suicidal state, you're only harming yourself.

What.
Digital Fiend
littlebirdbigsky
Digital Fiend
littlebirdbigsky
Pathetic.
People use 'depression' as a crutch and excuse.
First world problems.

Not those that do something about it. Go see someone and get on the right medication. Anything can be used as a crutch if you don't do something about it, not just depression.

lol, medication.
More like just get over yourself.

Oh, you're one of those ignorant people. Or probably deal with people that blame everything on depression, instead of someone who is medically depressed.

Yeah, I'm going to stop wasting my time.

Silly, I can't have a problem that isn't real. pfffft.
Even if it wasn't an illegitimate illness, I would never be so pathetic to be diagnosed.
But, it seems someone uses their mental illness as a crutch. C:
lolololol

Lonely Saint

kitten tea

I'm singing
User ImageMy blues
I had a friend who use to brag about her cutting, and how she was so damn depressed. She'd be like, "OMIGOD. My mom found me cutting and she yelled at me so I slid my bloody wrist against the wall."
She really did say that. Needless to say, I don't talk to her very much anymore.

I use to cut, but I didn't show it around. I cut on my legs and upper arm. It only got found out from a guy who liked me to grabbed my arm and saw it.
I've still got scars, but I don't parade them around.

Yeah, I had a friend like that too. She was... pretty deeply disturbed, though. Still is. So her issues went far deeper than just attention seeking, although everything was pretty logically related to the cause.

I have an easily scarring skin type, so I have a crapload of scars. I usually don't remember they exist and definitely do not parade them around, but I don't hide them either. I used to be sensitive about them and try to hide them away but it's been a while, they're all white and old by now - there's no point in being ashamed of something that is literally etched on my skin forever.

Tipsy Reveler

I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. And I never went around complaining that my life sucked or used it as a crutch. I actively try to make my life better by doing things to help myself. But unfortunately, it's not enough on it's own to want to be happy. Which is why I drag my a** to therapy.

I'm on two medications for it. When I take them, my life doesn't magically become better. But I am better equipped to deal with things and I can think through rough situations instead of my mind automatically jumping to a more drastic, permanent solution. I've tried living both ways, with and without medication, and believe me, my friends, family, and myself prefer me on it.

Chatty Fatcat

8,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
You are not well-informed on this subject at all. I am depressed, and yes, it is very much an issue that is difficult to overcome. Depression is NOT just being sad. It is your body and mind MAKING you sad. It is a mental condition that takes over your mind, it throws constant negative thoughts into your head and makes you think you want to kill yourself even if deep down you wouldn't want to. It convinces you that all of the negative things are true, and obviously if you are convinced, it's not going to be easy to become un-convinced. Not many people with severe depression can come out of it on their own, I only started improving myself once I started going to therapy. There is a reason why depression is considered a problem and a disease, so maybe you should inform yourself more about a mental condition before you formulate an opinion about it.

Chatty Fatcat

8,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
littlebirdbigsky
Pathetic.
First world problems.
That is so ignorant! Depression can severely affect your life and your relationships, it is not something to be taken lightly or be brushed off as something that can easily be gotten over or being considered just "sadness", it is so much more than that. Depression takes over your mind with constant negative thoughts that often come out of the blue. Depression often makes people experiencing it irrational because they start to believe those thoughts over time. It's not an excuse, it's a condition.
My mother doesn't have enough seratonin, causing her to be chronically depressed. I have the same problem. It's a real disorder.

Chatty Fatcat

8,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Track01_Rebuild
Conciousness
Vio-kun
Cathegories F32-F33 from ICD-10 would like to have a word with you.

I just read both sections.

I understand having a depressive episode.

I don't agree that it's a non-controllable disorder to have reoccurring depression.

Maybe it's more difficult, but I think it's being abused for excuses.

You do know that people can be treated with medicine that fixes chemical imbalances in their brain which causes depression, right? Like, they studied how well these medicines worked vs a placebo, and it really does work. Meaning it's not something you can willingly control.
I think that's a bit iffy. I am not on any sort of pill to treat my depression, but I am in therapy, and it is working for me, just at a very slow rate. In the end, pills only suppress the problem that is there, but the only way to properly improve is to face the problem head on, with the help of counselling and other assists such as exercising, meditation and sleeping properly.

But it is definitely not something that is easy to control at all, especially alone. People with more minor cases of depression may be able to overcome it on their own without any method of assistance, but anything severe will always need some sort of therapy to help get through it. Depression really can be overcome, or even manageable to live with, but it requires a lot of time and effort, and could even take years.

Chatty Fatcat

8,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
The Forbidden Soul
User Image
User ImageUser Image

Its an emotion. Its like getting diagnosed for being awkward, happy, angry, anything but neutral.
Moral of the story according to Psychologists: If you feel any human emotions, theres something wrong with you.

User ImageUser Image
It's not an emotion, it's a mental condition that constantly causes you to have that emotion. Depression takes over your mind and body with negative thoughts and will often put you in a depressive state out of the blue, for absolutely no reason. Depression is much more than an emotion, it is a state of mind that is very difficult to overcome. Please don't make assumptions over an issue you know little about.

Chatty Fatcat

8,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
It's appalling how many people in here are actually this ignorant over this issue. neutral
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
littlebirdbigsky
Pathetic.
First world problems.
That is so ignorant! Depression can severely affect your life and your relationships, it is not something to be taken lightly or be brushed off as something that can easily be gotten over or being considered just "sadness", it is so much more than that. Depression takes over your mind with constant negative thoughts that often come out of the blue. Depression often makes people experiencing it irrational because they start to believe those thoughts over time. It's not an excuse, it's a condition.

I accidentally clicked the link to your profile instead of the one to your quote in the thread, and knew this was going to be a stupid response.

You're a cute girl when you lay off the eye make up.

Chatty Fatcat

8,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
littlebirdbigsky
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
littlebirdbigsky
Pathetic.
First world problems.

I accidentally clicked the link to your profile instead of the one to your quote in the thread, and knew this was going to be a stupid response.

You're a cute girl when you lay off the eye make up.
Why don't you explain why it's a stupid response and tell me how much you actually know about depression. rolleyes

Chatty Fatcat

8,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Ms Spork
Clinical depression is a diagnosable condition caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. It's not the same as being sad about something.

You said
Conciousness
I'm referring to the people that have no particular reason to always being so sad, so they call it depression...

Which lets me know that you don't understand what clinical depression actually is.
Exactly. Depression is a state of mind that often forces you into pits of sadness mostly for no apparent reason. Many times the depression is caused by something traumatic, but that is not always the case. People who have a reason to be depressed are more likely to have it for only a short term, depending on the issue. People who become depressed many times over nothing probably have a chemical imbalance in their brains which causes them to be like that, which is usually more long term.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff