Welcome to Gaia! ::

Conciousness
Track01_Rebuild
Conciousness
Vio-kun
Cathegories F32-F33 from ICD-10 would like to have a word with you.

I just read both sections.

I understand having a depressive episode.

I don't agree that it's a non-controllable disorder to have reoccurring depression.

Maybe it's more difficult, but I think it's being abused for excuses.

You do know that people can be treated with medicine that fixes chemical imbalances in their brain which causes depression, right? Like, they studied how well these medicines worked vs a placebo, and it really does work. Meaning it's not something you can willingly control.

Again, personally, I find that to be a state of mind. If someone convinces you that a pill will make you happier. Then you will try it, if you have faith that the pill is working. You will be happier. The pill could be a freaking m&m. If you think it will help you get better, it will.

You don't understand clinical trials testing drugs against placebos, do you? emotion_facepalm

Lonely Saint

Conciousness
Vio-kun

I don't agree that it's a non-controllable disorder to have reoccurring depression.

Quote:
Although depression is often thought of a being an extreme state of sadness, there is a vast difference between clinical depression and sadness. Sadness is a part of being human -- a natural reaction to painful circumstances. All of us will experience sadness at some point in our lives. Depression, however, is a physical illness with many more symptoms than an unhappy mood.

The person with clinical depression finds that there is not always a logical reason for his dark feelings. Exhortations from well-meaning friends and family for him to "snap out of it" provide only frustration, for he can no more "snap out of it" than a diabetic can will his pancreas to produce more insulin.

A person who suffers from a major depressive disorder must either have a depressed mood or a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities consistently for at least a two-week period. This mood must represent a change from the person's normal mood and impair his functioning in his daily life.

A depressed mood caused by substances such as drugs, alcohol, or medications is not considered a major depressive disorder, nor is one that is caused by a general medical condition.

In cases of bereavement, major depressive disorder may be at play if the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation.

Here.

Still confused?
Vio-kun
Conciousness
Vio-kun

I totally agree. It's the same with people in wheelchairs. I can understand having a broken leg for a while, but I really can't see why they can't just get over it and start walking like the rest of us.

And don't let me get started on blind or deaf people. They're just selfish.

And skitzos are just acting out for attention, am I right?

Lonely Conversationalist

Oblivion Blades
Conciousness
Vio-kun

Quote:
Although depression is often thought of a being an extreme state of sadness, there is a vast difference between clinical depression and sadness. Sadness is a part of being human -- a natural reaction to painful circumstances. All of us will experience sadness at some point in our lives. Depression, however, is a physical illness with many more symptoms than an unhappy mood.

The person with clinical depression finds that there is not always a logical reason for his dark feelings. Exhortations from well-meaning friends and family for him to "snap out of it" provide only frustration, for he can no more "snap out of it" than a diabetic can will his pancreas to produce more insulin.

A person who suffers from a major depressive disorder must either have a depressed mood or a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities consistently for at least a two-week period. This mood must represent a change from the person's normal mood and impair his functioning in his daily life.

A depressed mood caused by substances such as drugs, alcohol, or medications is not considered a major depressive disorder, nor is one that is caused by a general medical condition.

In cases of bereavement, major depressive disorder may be at play if the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation.

Here.

Still confused?

I understand that's listed as a clinical disorder.
That's not my question.
I already knew that.
Let me rephrase my question.
Do you think it's over-diagnosed?
Do you think people use it as an excuse to be sad, to attract attention?
Track01_Rebuild
Conciousness
Vio-kun

You do know that people can be treated with medicine that fixes chemical imbalances in their brain which causes depression, right? Like, they studied how well these medicines worked vs a placebo, and it really does work. Meaning it's not something you can willingly control.

You know most of those trials are done in India and other places just to pass them not to actually prove anything.

Quotable Lunatic

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Track01_Rebuild
Vio-kun
Conciousness
Vio-kun

I totally agree. It's the same with people in wheelchairs. I can understand having a broken leg for a while, but I really can't see why they can't just get over it and start walking like the rest of us.

And don't let me get started on blind or deaf people. They're just selfish.

And skitzos are just acting out for attention, am I right?

Oh yes. I'm pretty sure war veterans just say they have PTSD because they're bored, too.
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild
Conciousness
Vio-kun

You know most of those trials are done in India and other places just to pass them not to actually prove anything.

Source?

Lonely Saint

Conciousness
I understand that's listed as a clinical disorder.
That's not my question.
I already knew that.
Let me rephrase my question.
Do you think it's over-diagnosed?
Do you think people use it as an excuse to be sad, to attract attention?

I don't know. I personally only know people diagnosed with depression who are genuinely depressed. I also know that a minority of people will always want attraction through pretending to be special. However, my personal observations are only my personal observations, and you'd probably need to ask someone who has studied this to get a proper picture.
Track01_Rebuild
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild
Conciousness
Vio-kun

Source?

Learn to Google.

I thought people were starting to realize this after the constant gardener came out.
Guess we're back where we started.
Clinical depression is a diagnosable condition caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. It's not the same as being sad about something.

You said
Conciousness
I'm referring to the people that have no particular reason to always being so sad, so they call it depression...

Which lets me know that you don't understand what clinical depression actually is.
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild
Conciousness
Vio-kun

Source?

Learn to Google.

Learn to debate. You make an outlandish claim, you have to back it up with a non-biased reputable source. It's not my job to do your research. If you don't have a source, your claim is null.
Track01_Rebuild
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild

Source?

Learn to Google.

Learn to debate. You make an outlandish claim, you have to back it up with a non-biased reputable source. It's not my job to do your research. If you don't have a source, your claim is null.

Debate, that's saying I'm taking what you're saying into account, instead of seeing you as uninformed child.
Let me humour you child.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/07/business/worldbusiness/07iht-glob08.html
Now, you're going to bullshit about that being void.
But, I won't waste my time filling the page with links to articles,documentaries,reports and other sources for you to ignore.
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild

Source?

Learn to Google.

Debate, that's saying I'm taking what you're saying into account, instead of seeing you as uninformed child.
Let me humour you child.
But, I won't waste my time filling the page with links to articles,documentaries,reports and other sources for you to ignore.

Child? Lol, you're mad that I'm not agreeing with you so you jump on the "you MUST be a little kid" defense. According to the "how old are you" topics, I'm one of the oldest people in LD. But really, that shouldn't even matter to you. *shrug*
Anyhow, that was a good source, except it wasn't saying what you were claiming. Let's quote you to remind you what you said.
"most of those trials are done in India and other places just to pass them not to actually prove anything"
So, you have to prove the two points you tried to make.
a) "most" of the trials for depression medications take place over seas.
b) trials for depression medications take place over seas so they can be passed without proving anything.
Your source mentions that companies are starting to do drug trials overseas because of cost, and also in some instances unknowing test subjects. It does not mention tampering with numbers, lying about results, or that most trials take place overseas. It also doesn't mention depression medication.

It's a good source, but not for what you're claiming. Good read.
Now, I'm sure you'll respond with some upset remark about how you're not going to waste your time, and probably throw in some insult to try to get back at me. I only hope that maybe you'll think for even just a second that maybe you should make sure you have an understanding about a medical issue before you spout off your opinions as fact.
Track01_Rebuild
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild
littlebirdbigsky
Track01_Rebuild

Source?

Learn to Google.

Let me humour you child.

Child? Lol, you're mad that I'm not agreeing with you so you jump on the "you MUST be a little kid" defense. According to the "how old are you" topics, I'm one of the oldest people in LD. But really, that shouldn't even matter to you. *shrug*
Anyhow, that was a good source, except it wasn't saying what you were claiming. Let's quote you to remind you what you said.
"most of those trials are done in India and other places just to pass them not to actually prove anything"
So, you have to prove the two points you tried to make.
a) "most" of the trials for depression medications take place over seas.
b) trials for depression medications take place over seas so they can be passed without proving anything.
Your source mentions that companies are starting to do drug trials overseas because of cost, and also in some instances unknowing test subjects. It does not mention tampering with numbers, lying about results, or that most trials take place overseas. It also doesn't mention depression medication.

It's a good source, but not for what you're claiming. Good read.
Now, I'm sure you'll respond with some upset remark about how you're not going to waste your time, and probably throw in some insult to try to get back at me. I only hope that maybe you'll think for even just a second that maybe you should make sure you have an understanding about a medical issue before you spout off your opinions as fact.

You did exactly what I thought you would.

I meant child in a mental sense. But, you must be inept as detecting anything that is not literal.

Some people never grow up, But I could tell this from the start since you must be starving for attention with your outlandish appearance. Yet, too insecure to let people actually see your face.

Like I previously said - do your own research. There was a documentary very recently that exploited this very thing. Giving drugs to people who don't even have the problem they're used to treat, fabricated results, and much more.

http://vivekajyoti.blogspot.com/2012/03/video-indian-masses-used-as-guinea-pigs.html
http://alaiwah.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/poor-indians-being-recruited-for-clinical-drug-trials/

If you have time to argue your opinion, take some time to actually be well informed.

Gekko

When you lack interest towards pretty much everything, things that use to bring you joy don't bring you not even a spick of happiness anymore.
i:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces