Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Poster

6,500 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Mitubati

Ah, yeah, I always figured feminism was pretty much only focused on women.
Then, is feminism focused on equality between men and women, while egalitarianism is also focused on all other aspects (race, for example)?

yes. that is exactly correct. smile and furthermore, there are types of Feminism which try to intersect those other aspects of egalitarianism as well, such as Black Feminism, Trans Feminism, and (the one I'm part of) Intersectional Feminism.

Quote:
There also seem to be a rising number of anti-feminists. I mean, I can see why, since lots of people that call themselves feminists aren't actually for equality. Anti-feminists arguments for being anti-feminist usually involves the thought that since those people call themselves feminists and since they're so many then feminism has changed its meaning and should no longer be encouraged. Do you think they've gotten the wrong idea?
as a matter of fact, they do have the wrong idea about Feminism. they are only mindlessly repeating hateful rhetoric without critically evaluating it, and without learning (or even being open to learning) about what Feminism is really about. try to show them, and try to peacefully allay their concerns, and they will close their eyes and plug their ears; they woul drather condemn Feminism blindly than learn the truth.

here. this article is very useful, I think, for explaining it. smile in fact, that website is my favourite source for Feminist media. it's a very helpful blog site.

Quote:
Are there no MRAs that don't act like that? It feels strange, since there are obviously women that call themselves feminists when they're actually just man haters, so it wouldn't be surprising to me if it'd be same when it comes to MRAs.
I'm sure there are some MRA's who aren't like that.... but the MRA movement takes that position as an organization. meanwhile, the Feminist movement takes equality is it's organized platform, while a small number of radicals and extremists stray from that path to espouse misandry in the name of Feminism. people will claim that there are more misandrist Feminists than egalitarian Feminists, but they would be mistaken. those same people will deny and ignore the evidence that Feminists are largely condemning the actions of misadrist extremists when such evidence is presented to them, even when they asked for it. they see what they want to see. they are just more anti-feminists. they don't care about equality, they care only about maintaining patriarchy and extending it's reach.

Quote:
I thought the pay gap was a myth? I.e. it's not that women just get paid less than men for the same job, but there are other factors involved (women tend to work less than men, take care of the kids more etc.). That obviously doesn't make it any better, since women should feel like they can choose to focus on the career and not feel like they're shamed for "not taking care of" their kids and household (or the like).
There's been so much discussion about it, so I got a bit hung up on it now when you mentioned it in your reply.
there are a variety of factors involved, but that doesn't mean that the pay gap is a myth. the fact is that women get paid more than men in some fields, and men get paid more than women in some fields. some fields are male-dominated, and others are female-dominated. and yes, women work less, but that is also because of gender biases and sexism. women are treated as being incapable of most work, or just less capable of it than men. this includes not only jobs requiring physical strength and stamina, but also fields that require or are related to higher mathematics, sciences, law, and so on. and so we have women making up much smaller percentages of the workforce in most fields, and making less money in those fields, and making up a smaller percentag eof the total workforce, and thus being paid cnsiderably less than men overall.

the fact is, women can be just as capable of doing "men's work", (and men just as capable of doing "women's work" wink but they are discouraged from it by society, and paid less for it for no other reason than gender bias.

now don't get me wrong, I think that if a woman honestly would rather raise kids instead of work, and would rather fill traditional female roles, than she has every right to do that and it's great! smile it doesn't oppress anyone if somebody chooses to live that way (despite what some Feminists would claim), and I think that people should be allowed to be their honest selves and do what is fulfilling to them regardless of gender, rather than in spite of gender roles.

and I do think that such an attitude would be liberating to both men AND to women.

Quote:

And, just out of curiosity, what do you think about sexism in video games? I read this blog post yesterday and I thought it was quite an interesting read. The writer talks about how people would feel if Booker DeWitt from Bioshock Infinite was a woman, for example. I think s/he has a point, but I'd like to hear your opinion as well, if you have the time.

I agree with all of this -- but I have to mention that all of those issues ARE examples of misogyny at work. it's called benevolent misogyny. it is the stereotyping of women as pure, innocent, weak, and perfect. women as precious treasures to be protected and rescued. it flies in the face of women as being capable of flawed character, evil (at least violence), or power (at least physical power).

I agree that we need to be more accepting of flawed female protagonists and antagonists, be they powerful and mighty or cowardly, petty, meek, and helpless. be they good, or be they evil. and likewise we need a greater range of male characters, as well. the fact that we DON'T have these more varieties of characters (those who fit traditional gender roles and stereotypes, an dthose who break out of them in part or in full; those who who meet gender expectations in positive or negative ways and those who defy those expectations) is evidence that patriarchal gender bias exists and dominates our culture.

Familiar Poster

6,500 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
britt1110
Mitubati
5th Dimension Morning

Can I ask that you guys take this to a PM. This is getting pretty lengthy. sweatdrop

oh, I'm sorry. redface I also noticed the length, and decided to trim it in my reply. if it continues to be too messy (or if it is being off-topic) I can surely take it to PM. I apologize again for causing it to become so long and sloppy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff