Welcome to Gaia! ::

What crunchy things are you looking to get more into in 2013?

Eating healthier 0.465 46.5% [ 93 ]
Buying local 0.045 4.5% [ 9 ]
Recycling 0.045 4.5% [ 9 ]
Using less fossil fuels 0.045 4.5% [ 9 ]
DIY & upcyling 0.21 21.0% [ 42 ]
Activism 0.08 8.0% [ 16 ]
Other stuff (post your alternatives!) 0.11 11.0% [ 22 ]
Total Votes:[ 200 ]

"Women do not have to sacrifice personhood if they are mothers.
They do not have to sacrifice motherhood in order to be persons...

Are you trying to drink a lot to help your supply? Or are you just uber thirsty? If you're concerned about supply there are supplements you can take...or you can try eating some oatmeal! It's a really good supply booster...and yummy too! biggrin

I loooooooove oatmeal now. My father always calls it prison food though. xd

...Liberation was meant to expand women's opportunities, not to limit them. The self-esteem
that has been found in new pursuits can also be found in mothering.”

-Elaine Heffner

Do you know anyway to reduce soreness? Like, in the nipples? Sorry if thats an odd question, its just that they hurt right now, so bad. And I dont know what to do. Emu just finished nursing.

KasumiNyan's Wife

Aged Cat

I cant stand the taste or smell of oatmeal ._. its a mix of both as to why I drink I'm thirsty and I am watching the soda intake for the baby. I don't wanna fill him with caffeine so I'm trying drinks that will help without harming Eric.

My boobs in general have been tender since birth not overly bad but enough that I feel it from time to time I was told by mom it gets better with time so I'm sticking it out.

How long have they been sore? Were you having pain while she was nursing? Have you checked her mouth for signs of thrush? Have you taken any antibiotics lately? Is teething a possibility?

Info about thrush.

If it's not thrush, I'm guessing you may need to make a renewed effort to get her latched on correctly. I noticed when I got lazy about latching her on, I'd be sore. To deal with soreness either try some lanolin n****e cream like this or try letting your nipples get some air (silly as it might sound, going topless for a bit will help). Some of my soreness issues were also related to tongue and lip ties...which is a whole other tangent!

...Liberation was meant to expand women's opportunities, not to limit them. The self-esteem

-Elaine Heffner

Mia - Yep, just get through the first 2 weeks. It's a nice short goal....and then when you hit 8 weeks babies mouths magically get bigger and things improve quite a bit! Of course, I'd imagine pumping is not helping with the tenderness issue...it will get better though! Look at me! I forget I have boobs sometimes....and lose babies while they're attached to my n****e! rofl

-Elaine Heffner

Its not thrush, that was the first thing my mother talked about, but I'm guess its the latching. So I'll try to make sure that she's latched on correctly.
And it just feels, irritating..? when she's nursing, not necessarily sore. And then after, I'm sore.

KasumiNyan's Wife

Aged Cat

@ Spider ehhh its not too bad tender but not unbearable I've had a lot worse. And I just see it this way its for Eric who needs this more than I need to complain. If I can help him than by all means I'm going to do whatever it takes regardless of how it feels and be a good mommy. With that being said I'll be back in a while maybe 45 mins or so I need to go downstairs and pump for a while. My boobs are full and my son needs his boobie juice.

Miki - Try this: see if she'll suck on your finger and try to notice if you can feel her bottom gum on your finger or if her tongue is covering the gum. My daughter had a "tongue tie" which kept her tongue from covering the gum while she nursed. It wasn't horribly painful...just irritating while she ate and sore afterward. It's a simple thing to fix if they are tongue tied. Also have you noticed if her lips are flanged out while she's nursing?

-Elaine Heffner

I'll try to check the tongue thing when she wakes up for her next feeding. And yes, her lips kinda go out a bit, is that bad? sweatdrop

Mia - Feel free to complain and vent as much as you need to! That's what we're here for! I mean, I love nursing...but it's hardly sunshine and buttercups all the time. There are days when it's frustrating...sometimes it's painful, sometimes annoying...sometimes you want to just throw in the towel. It's still totally worth the struggle...but there isn't a thing wrong with complaining when you need to. biggrin

-Elaine Heffner

Miki - The lips flanging is a good thing! Dani's top lip wouldn't because of her lip tie...and that was very uncomfortable.

-Elaine Heffner

The top lip doesnt so much as the bottom. sweatdrop I will definitely check it the next time she's up, thanks!
:]
How do you correct it if they have the tongue tie?

You can have it clipped by an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. It's a tiny little piece of skin under the tongue that keeps it from having full mobility...they just clip it and it's fixed. There might be a drop of blood, but that's all. Out ped referred us to a pediatric ENT. My husband is tongue tied also, but it was never fixed...it annoys the hell out of him. It can interfere with speech too. Dani's was clipped when she was 1-month-old. She didn't like being messed with, but they numbed it and it was over in a second. She nursed right after.

The lip tie is a more involved fix...in Dani's case she had to have surgery under general anesthesia at 6-months and several stitches in her gums. It sucked, but it was worth it. The lip tie can lead to speech problems and receding gums....and gum grafting surgery that might be needed in that case freaked me the hell out. User Image

-Elaine Heffner
I ordered my nursing necklaccccccce!
Very excited.
I actually ordered it off the official smartmom site. I ordered it in Jade.
(:

After shipping it was like $21.35.
Now I wait.

Rayne - Yay! I want one too! ninja

-Elaine Heffner

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas