Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, as of right now, I am a junior in high school, but it is nearing the time where I'll be choosing my senior year schedule. So, I am in the most crucial part of college prep. And before the meat of this discussion, let it be known I am such a lazy s**t, hahaha.
So, I know that I am wanting to attend college to get a PhD in either Anthropology or Philosophy, and every one knows that if you intend to get a degree in either of these, you must get a PhD because anything less won't get you anywhere. So, my intent is to be a college professor. My goal is to get into any of the following: Indiana University, Indiana University-Purdue University (IUPUI), Northern Illinois University, or any public school that offers doctorals in my area of study.
I currently have a 3.5 GPA (ouch), mainly because of slacking off my freshman year. I am not an athlete, and am currently in no clubs (subject to change).
Instead of 2 18-week semesters, like most schools, my school offers 3 12-week trimesters. I find that necessary to point out because every school in my area, except one other school like an hour away does semesters, not trimesters like my school.
To give an idea of how I have challenged myself this year, here is my list of classes for my junior year.
1. Honors Junior English
2. Honors Junior English
3. AP/Honors US History
4. AP/Honors US History
5. AccAlgII-4
6. AccAlgII-5
7. Acc Trigonometry
8. Physics I-1
9. Physics I-2
10. Geology
11. French III-5
12. French III-6
13. Computer Ill/Graphics
14. TV Production
15.Creative Writing
-
Just as a note, some classes that I took last year that colleges might like are as followed: Chemistry 1, Genetics, Accounting, Computer Apps.
Now, my current senior schedule I have is as followed:
1. Expository Writing (Dual Credit)
2.Office Assistant
3.Honors/AP Government
4. Economics
5. Precalculous 1
6. Precalculous 2
7. Probability&Statistics
8. Sociology
9. AP Psychology
10. AP Psychology
11. Visual Communication
12. Music History/Appreciation
13. Study Hall
14. Student Teaching
15. Student Teaching
-
So, as previously stated, I am a lazy s**t, hence the Study Hall and Office Assistant. I REALLY do not want to take Precalc, but I've been told by many teachers that it's crucial for a good college, but I really wont be needing it for either one of my majors. The only reason I have Visual Com. and Music History is because I need 2 Art and/or music credits to graduate with an Honors Diploma, and I put them off till senior year (oops lol). But what I really want to do is knock out Pre-Calc and switch it with AP World History, OR getting rid of Sociology and Prob&Stats and switching my AP Government to regular Government and just adding AP World History in there.
So, I know I'm probably WAAAAAY over-thinking this, but oh well.
Advice and suggestions PLEASE!

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image your high school courses aren't gonna do s**t for you once you get into college.

It's all about the SATs
[/align
is it that roman
god you sound like a boring mfker

did you know that if you're smart enough, you can balance out academics and fun, homie :~)

Party Seeker

8,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Colleges don't care about what classes you took in high school, generally speaking.

NIU is a joke to get into (don't know if you're from the area, but I am and I know people with way lower than a 3.5 who got in, myself included but it was my backup-backup) so I wouldn't really worry about your GPA at this point. Colleges care more about your SAT/ACT scores and how well-rounded you are of a person.

My senior year of high school I took like 6 easy AF classes, got a s**t GPA because I never showed up to school, and still got in everywhere I applied just because I had above average ACT scores, a nice resume, and a good letter of rec (which was optional for most places I applied to).

There are certain courses in high school that are 'recommended' for you to take if you plan to go to a 4-year school, but there are exceptions to that rule too. Generally, for a state school you really only NEED like Alg 2/Trig as far as math goes since you end up taking most of that s**t again anyway for gen eds. But I guess more math in high school never hurt. Honestly, I haven't taken a math since junior year of high school which was like 5 years ago and I've been doing all right.

Also a lot of bigger state schools require 4s on your AP tests for credit so be wary of that too before you pay money to take all those exams. I only took 1 AP course in high school because only 1 was offered. It was language and comp. I got a 3 on the exam. Had I gone to NIU, it would have counted for credit but where I am now requires a 4 on majority of AP exams so I was kind of pissed. Ugh.

TL;DR: Take whatever classes you want senior year. Colleges can't even see your final transcript until after you've been accepted anyway. Get good ACT/SAT scores and your GPA won't matter as much. Be a more well-rounded student in college because that's more important than GPA and test scores when it comes to finding jobs/internships depending on your field of study.

Buggy Nymph

58,625 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
wtf you're a baby and twice as competent as i am. rofl

Okay real talk, ditto what everyone's said: colleges don't give a s**t what classes you've taken. Focus on your SATs and placement tests! These determine which math and english classes you place into. Which is to say, which classes you can skip over. For example, because I did amazing on my English placement, I skipped Eng 96 right into 1A. Same principle for math.

However, at my college at least, you could always take the placement tests over again to get a better score, so it's not the end of the world if you choke.

I know you have lofty goals, but seriously, go easy on the first trimester. College is wayyyyy different than high school, and it can be a sharp learning curve. Much of it is adjusting to the scene and motivating yourself to do your work, because the profs are not gonna hold your hand anymore. Which is great if you flaked on a reading assignment - fake it til you make it - but not so much if you have a hard time initiating study. So take a few classes, take it easy and figure out what approaches work for you, what you have to work on. Always read the syllable and requirements, and always take extra credit.

Anxious Prophet

Moogle Voodoo
User Image your high school courses aren't gonna do s**t for you once you get into college.

It's all about the SATs
[/align

and/or ACT

Wicked Sweetheart

It's admirable to push yourself, but don't get too overwhelmed, you wouldnt want to take on a ton of difficult classes, do average and hav an average GPA when you can take more digestable ones and have a better GPA. However, while SAT and ACT are very important for getting into good schools, having a grasp of advanced material will help you with your GPA in college once you get accepted because you'll have a better understanding of higher sciences, mathmatics, etc.
everyone makes it sound like its soooo hard to get into college.
just be top 10% of your class.
take ap classes
apply for fafsa

like really its not like youre trying to get into med school or anything....
also classes arent even that bad. :/ worst thing about college is paying for it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff