Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think fools should be kicked in the head?

Definately! Shun the idiots. 0.825 82.5% [ 33 ]
omg wtf r u on abut? lolzz!!1 0.175 17.5% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 40 ]
1 2 3 >

I am sick to death of seeing people on forums talking like illiterate idiots. I can understand a few spelling mistakes and abbreviations in towns as the speech bubbles go quickly, and the conversation box deletes everything after a while so it's easier to talk. Surely though, when people aren't pressed for time to write something, it shouldn't be too much of a bother to talk properly. I also understand some people may not be the best spellers. Has anyone ever noticed how Firefox has a spell checker on it? --.--
I used to talk like that, I'll admit, but I soon learned that writing properly is so much more polite and nicer to read. Who agrees?
I agree completely. Unfortunately, people aren't going to stop. There's not much that anyone can do about it either. Someone was trying to convince me that after a "long days work", they were too tired to capitalize their letters and check for spelling mistakes. That was a pretty pathetic excuse. =/
I agree. :]

It's so annoying to talk to someone who can't even spell simple words. >__<
Who are we to criticize the way people type?

That said, we don't have to talk to them. [;
Heh, we all sound like grammar nazis, of course, but I'm all for it. Surely if enough people band together we can enact a mass revolution (or should I say evolution?) and force the n00bs to start speaking like humans....

Yeah, total wishful thinking, But, yes, you're right. Abbreviations like "brb" and "lol" are okay with me when used sparingly, and among my friends I have developed a personal shorthand for our IM conversations, but it's so much easier to communicate if people are willing to right on a level above that of a third-grader.

No offense to third-graders intended; I'm just many of them could write more eloquently than some of the Gaians I've seen.
ShooFlea

We're the people that have to put up with seeing it. Even if we're not talking to them. It's terribly noticeable. Well, apart from the odd word. Like in that chain letter thing about "Oxford University discovered that if yuo cna raed thsi tehn yuo aer oen of blah, blah, blah..."
Anyway >.>
It annoys me when the person writes so badly that i genuinely cant read what they wrote. However i don't mind if people don't spell correctly or use proper grammar in all their posts. It won't give me a good first impression of the people who don't but it'll hardly keep me from talking to them either.

In fact it annoys me more when people go on about correct grammar all the time. I mean yus it's good to have good knowledge of the english language and to write correctly, and yus it makes it easier to communicate. But c'mon, its the internet. Does it really matter? :/
Unlike You
It annoys me when the person writes so badly that i genuinely cant read what they wrote. However i don't mind if people don't spell correctly or use proper grammar in all their posts. It won't give me a good first impression of the people who don't but it'll hardly keep me from talking to them either.

In fact it annoys me more when people go on about correct grammar all the time. I mean yus it's good to have good knowledge of the english language and to write correctly, and yus it makes it easier to communicate. But c'mon, its the internet. Does it really matter? :/

Eh, I can see where you're coming from. I guess it's not worth a complete rant about it, but I just don't see why people can't use it more often in forums as, particularly in this thread, it's supposed to be a discussion. Pretty soon it'll start taking over normal talki..
Oh wait, too late, "Innit mate." >.<
The fact that much of it seems to be the result of willful and intentional ignorance and laziness just irks me to no end. I don't recall getting away with s**t-poor spelling and grammar in school, and I've carried that training with me onto the internet. So too have the vast, VAST majority of the people I've interacted with online through my years on the net. But, my god.. I've only been on Gaia for about a month now, and I honestly can't remember being so.. so utterly floored by the prevalence of poor communication skills ANYWHERE else on the net. Have our schools really gone that far downhill, or have I just been sheltered somehow??? ARRGHH!!

And yes, I'm very cranky at the moment... hence the, er, bitchiness. *twitchtwitch*
I'm a grammar freak, trust me. Once in a while I might be a bad speller.
I when people are so lazy they don't even care how they talk. We can't understand them.
It's frieken annoying, they don't even put in periods; it's just a long run-on sentence.
I really hate ~literates~
and I deff don't see what difference spelling or grammar makes if you can still read it and comprehend it.

this is just another way to be an elitist
and elitists can smd ;]
There's only one kind of people that annoy me more than those who can't write properly.
And that's people who whine about how some people can't write properly.

I'm just gonna add a ********
"WHO HAS TIME TO CARE ABOUT S**T LIKE THIS!!!"
before I leave you all to whine some more while tearing me to pieces.
I agree as well, though I don't really mind it all that much if a person goes ballistic with errors. So long as it's vaguely english, I'm fine with it. The line is drawn at numbers for me.
Electric Leech
ShooFlea

We're the people that have to put up with seeing it. Even if we're not talking to them. It's terribly noticeable. Well, apart from the odd word. Like in that chain letter thing about "Oxford University discovered that if yuo cna raed thsi tehn yuo aer oen of blah, blah, blah..."
Anyway >.>

then scroll right past it, jesus.
good grammer a a key stepping stone to greatness

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out