Sleep around 0.12 12.0% [ 6 ]
Set plan 0.48 48.0% [ 24 ]
I'm teh p0llwhorez option!1! 0.2 20.0% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 50 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Ghost of Sladgen
b a b y d o l l
Ghost of Sladgen
Your poll's kinda biased since it only allows answers that support going to college.

Honestly. I'm not wasting my precious money and time on that total load of crap called college. Higher learning my butt.

I'm using my skills to get me through life, I'm gonna become a Manga-ka! mrgreen

College is a good thing. It's hard work, but it's definitely worth it.

Umm... maybe a good thing for you, not for me. And my opinion of college is the only opinion that matters to me. I don't care if you go, or if anybody does, but I care if I do, and I'm not.

I get your opinion, it's hard work! But still it gives you a lot of experience! I can tell ...
Where I go, we don't actually "declare majors," we choose areas of study.
Most upper classmen go for independent learning contracts in their area of choice with their preferred faculty; it's a really hands-on way to approach the classical university education.
Ohhhhh college....
I HATE College. lol
I am in my sophmore year and I will be changing my major before I sign up for classes for the fall. I decided that my current major (German) isn't going to get me anywhere.
I am going to switch to education so I can TEACH german and english. sooo yeah. lol
German was my original plan but I am changing it, so don't worry too too much about what you declare as your first major. =] You will find out what you want to do.
If you have NO idea what you want to do start out with a basic or two (say... english and math or history) and then take a few electives that look interesting. =]
Also, if you want to join something I suggest going out for sorority recruitment. =] It is a TON of fun to even just go through recruitment. =]
heart Annie =]
I'm in Grad school. I loved Undergrad. It's a great time of learning and exploration.

That being said, I think it's a good thing to change your major if you are unhappy with it. Why spend a great deal of time and money on something you hate? If you hate it, odds are you are not going to be in that area for a very long time. And why have a job in an area you hate when one point of college is to allow some freedom in your job choice?
Major-switching seems pretty common to me, but the advantage of going in with a plan is you can pick colleges based on the quality of the specific program you're interested. Or in my case, I know what I want to do and I'm planning on going to an art school (not sure which one just yet), and I'm also applying to liberal arts colleges with good art programs.
If you're gonna keep changing majors go to a community college and get your general classes done (it's much cheaper). Normally it's good to have a plan for your major, minor and a fall back plan if you don't like you major.
Well, its best to go to college with a set plan. Knowing what you do really does help with which college to apply to.
But if you don't really know what you want to do yet, don't stress out too much.Talk to your counselor about your options. You might want to start out at a community college first. You could work on your GEDs and see what type of subject you like or are interested in.
Toasteee57
If you're gonna keep changing majors go to a community college and get your general classes done (it's much cheaper). Normally it's good to have a plan for your major, minor and a fall back plan if you don't like you major.

That's what I did. I got all of my core classes out of the way at the local community college and now I am at a major university. I figure that I probably saved around $20,000 American at least doing that.
As for my major, I'm a sociology major and have no idea what I'll be doing with it but I don't care because I'm in college because I love to learn more than anything and with that degree I can get A job even if it is not a dream job. After I get my BA I'll probably still attend college part time for fun. I'm looking into something health related or even an art degree for my next degree.
Well, for some careers, you do need to go into college with at least an idea, if not a set plan, unless you're willing to delay things a bit. I'm also a freshman in college, but I'm pre-med, and I go to a college with a strict set of core requirements. Add on top of that my interests in a field entirely unrelated to science (English), and I have to start planning right away.

I was just browsing the pre-med handbook tonight, and it just made me realize how carefully I have to plan my courses for the next two years, at the very least. Since med school and residency are expensive, longterm commitments (note: didn't mean to be misleading, I know you get paid during your residency, but the expensive part applies to med school), I don't want to delay applying to med school for too long.

Quite a few people I know don't have active plans to be doctors, but they're taking the pre-med courses anyway, just in case.

During orientation, we were told to "experiment" and take classes just for fun. Well, that's all very well and good, but it's not practical for some people. Here, if you even have an inkling that you may want to be a doctor someday, you're encouraged to take the pre-med requirements, at least until you decide that you don't want to go to med school.

We also don't declare majors and concentrations until end of sophomore year, so I have another year at the least. But I think I might major in bio anyway because all bio majors start out taking the same classes as pre-meds.
It's probably a good idea to start testing majors now.
If you don't now you'll be screwed later.
What if you end up in a major you hate and don't try to get out of it?
I'm starting out in psychology, but who knows where i'll end up.
I'm a Speech Comm major, but I started out prePharm. Funny, right? I chose my college based on a couple majors that I thought I could get into, wellroundedness, etc, and then took a wretched chem class and realized that I wanted to do something I loved instead of something that would get me a lot of money.

Have an idea, but be prepared to change it. It happens. Try internships so you really know what you're getting into. They're really the best option.
Mye Alias
Toasteee57

That's what I did. I got all of my core classes out of the way at the local community college and now I am at a major university. I figure that I probably saved around $20,000 American at least doing that.

That sometimes works, but not all universities accept transfer credits from community colleges. I know some people who went through their generals at community college, transferred to a major university, and had to take most of their generals over.

But when it works, it's great.

Quote:
As for my major, I'm a sociology major and have no idea what I'll be doing with it but I don't care because I'm in college because I love to learn more than anything and with that degree I can get A job even if it is not a dream job. After I get my BA I'll probably still attend college part time for fun. I'm looking into something health related or even an art degree for my next degree.

I'm switching to Sociology at the end of Spring Semester (I want to keep my Theatre scholarship)

I went in as a Technical Theatre major, with my back plans being Sociology, Psychology, and Anthropology (in that order). Luckily, I got a buttload of scholarships and grants, so I'm basically being paid to go to college.
Kage_no_Taren
I know exactly what I'm going to do, I have since I was 9, and I'm not changing it. Pre med and psychology (double major), then med school, then I'm going to be a pediatric psychiatrist.

Dude...that sounds kind of brutal, I have no idea what psychology is like, but I've heard that premed takes alot of memorization.
Abstract Nonsense
Kage_no_Taren
I know exactly what I'm going to do, I have since I was 9, and I'm not changing it. Pre med and psychology (double major), then med school, then I'm going to be a pediatric psychiatrist.

Dude...that sounds kind of brutal, I have no idea what psychology is like, but I've heard that premed takes alot of memorization.

It takes a lot of things. Mostly money.
well, i kinda already knew where and what i wanted to do, while i was still in high school....senior yr. so i did have a plan and such and i knew i wanted to go to the best college for what i wanted to do. my major atm is media arts and animation in The illinois institute of art - chicago. its my 3rd yr there and i really like the classes im taking dealing with my major atm; im totally specializing in 3d animation cuz im not good in modeling. so yeah, i knew what i wanted to do and planned it a bit. i knew i didnt want to waste time and money as well, so yeah planned.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff