Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Nerd

like, i don't know what i'm going to do with my life really.
but i'm putting down a major and looking for schools specialized for that major
so i kind of feel like i'm missing out on some schools
and the apps are due in november and the last SAT test is in november
and i'm just kind of freaking out.

how different is college really from highschool?
i mean in my highschool i'm one of about 5 gays in the school.
but unlike the others in my school, i don't date every other gay boy there.
so i'm of course anticipating college to be different and full of opportunities, but is it really that much bigger and different than highschool?
There's still going to be bigots and stuff i'm sure.
but is it overall just a better environment?

this is getting long
i'm sorry

Desirable Nerd

Desirable Nerd

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
In some ways it's different, in others it's not. For example, you will meet people who act like they're still in high school, but at the same time, you'll also meet some intelligent people there. And unlike high school where you start and end your school day at certain times, in college, you get to choose your classes and schedule when you want to take them. So if you're a night owl and hate having to get up in the mornings, you can take all afternoon classes if you want (though if a particular class you need to take for your major is only offered in the mornings, you have no choice but to take that morning class).

Desirable Nerd

Sakura Latte

Is it a difficult time adjusting to the new people?
I've gotten really close with a lot of people the past couple years, who i've had those intellectual and non-highschool type conversations with.
Is it hard to find new people? Or do you meet people you have even more in common with?

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
DIGI7AL
Sakura Latte

I've gotten really close with a lot of people the past couple years, who i've had those intellectual and non-highschool type conversations with.
Is it hard to find new people? Or do you meet people you have even more in common with?

Depends on you as a person.

I had a hard time meeting new people, but that's because I'm a shy person with some social anxiety. Although I did join some clubs of interest, I hardly interacted much with the other club members because I was too shy to talk to them.

Desirable Nerd

Sakura Latte
I really want to meet new people and have a good time and all, but i also want to like focus on my study. Is it difficult juggling both friends and school and everything else?

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
DIGI7AL
Sakura Latte

The new people aren't that hard to get used to--when you're a freshman, you're in freshmen-level classes, so there's no need to worry about interacting with upperclassmen if you're scared to interact with them. And unless they're one of those overconfident ones, all freshmen will be in the same boat as you--scared and wondering WTF to do.

And it's not hard to find new people, especially if you join clubs. Even in your classes, you'll sit next to a new person everyday unless the people next to you are the ones who always insist on sitting in the same seat all the time.

I graduated college this past spring, but when I was an undergrad, I joined clubs relevant to my interests and goals to meet people who also shared my interests and goals. I'm not sure what clubs at the colleges you applied to will be like, but where I went, there were different types of clubs. There were social clubs, there were ethnic-based clubs, there were community service clubs (Circle K is the biggest one), and there were professions-based club (there's 2 different pre-vet clubs, a pre-dental club, a pre-optometry club, and a pre-med club at my university). You could even join a frat or sorority if you want, and not all sororities are the stereotypical ones you hear about, either. For example, at my university, there are community service-based sororities, and they're not part of the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC). Additionally, all chapters of a sorority or fraternity differs from one another, so what you hear about about a sorority/fraternity chapter at one university may not apply to the ones you applied to. I never joined a sorority, not even a community service-based one, when I was an undergrad, both because it was too costly and I needed to focus on my academics. Speaking of academics, there are also professional sororities/fraternities that require you to have a certain GPA to even be eligible for the interview process. So they're even stricter than the other sororities/fraternities.

Desirable Nerd

Teabo Milk Tea
DIGI7AL
Sakura Latte

The new people aren't that hard to get used to--when you're a freshman, you're in freshmen-level classes, so there's no need to worry about interacting with upperclassmen if you're scared to interact with them. And unless they're one of those overconfident ones, all freshmen will be in the same boat as you--scared and wondering WTF to do.

And it's not hard to find new people, especially if you join clubs. Even in your classes, you'll sit next to a new person everyday unless the people next to you are the ones who always insist on sitting in the same seat all the time.

I graduated college this past spring, but when I was an undergrad, I joined clubs relevant to my interests and goals to meet people who also shared my interests and goals. I'm not sure what clubs at the colleges you applied to will be like, but where I went, there were different types of clubs. There were social clubs, there were ethnic-based clubs, there were community service clubs (Circle K is the biggest one), and there were professions-based club (there's 2 different pre-vet clubs, a pre-dental club, a pre-optometry club, and a pre-med club at my university). You could even join a frat or sorority if you want, and not all sororities are the stereotypical ones you hear about, either. For example, at my university, there are community service-based sororities, and they're not part of the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC). Additionally, all chapters of a sorority or fraternity differs from one another, so what you hear about about a sorority/fraternity chapter at one university may not apply to the ones you applied to. I never joined a sorority, not even a community service-based one, when I was an undergrad, both because it was too costly and I needed to focus on my academics. Speaking of academics, there are also professional sororities/fraternities that require you to have a certain GPA to even be eligible for the interview process. So they're even stricter than the other sororities/fraternities.
Wow wow wow. This is all really great information thank you thank you thank you. I've been wondering how you really meet people other than just living in the dorms and such, but I think the clubs are going to be really beneficial. If i go into college with enough credits to be considered a sophomore, would i have classes with some upperclassmen, or would i still be with purely freshmen?

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
DIGI7AL
Sakura Latte
I really want to meet new people and have a good time and all, but i also want to like focus on my study. Is it difficult juggling both friends and school and everything else?

How good were you at managing your time back in high school? Were you able to balance both your studies and hanging out with friends? If you were, then you shouldn't have any difficulties juggling both in college.
Jesus ******** are there a lot of gays at my university. It's like there's some sort of convention on. Either that, or there's a lot of "straight" boys going through their experimental phase all at once.
Judging by the way they dress, though, I'm inclined to think they're just faggots.

Desirable Nerd

Sakura Latte
DIGI7AL
Sakura Latte

How good were you at managing your time back in high school? Were you able to balance both your studies and hanging out with friends? If you were, then you shouldn't have any difficulties juggling both in college.
well i mean at school there's designated times for socializing. like break and lunch and stuff, but it's different in college when you don't have a set schedule. idk i think i'm probably worrying about this all too much.

Desirable Nerd

Faux-Nom
Jesus ******** are there a lot of gays at my university. It's like there's some sort of convention on. Either that, or there's a lot of "straight" boys going through their experimental phase all at once.
Judging by the way they dress, though, I'm inclined to think they're just faggots.
where do u go. i need to know where they gather.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
DIGI7AL
Teabo Milk Tea
DIGI7AL
Sakura Latte

Wow wow wow. This is all really great information thank you thank you thank you. I've been wondering how you really meet people other than just living in the dorms and such, but I think the clubs are going to be really beneficial. If i go into college with enough credits to be considered a sophomore, would i have classes with some upperclassmen, or would i still be with purely freshmen?

Some upperclassmen will take freshmen-level courses, especially if they decide to change majors, but if you get enough credits to be considered a sophomore, sadly, you still won't be eligible to take upper-level courses. Of course, if you show proficiency in a subject, you could possibly see if you could ask your professor for permission to take an upper-level course, but most of the time, unless you are at junior standing, you won't be able to take the upper courses. For example, at my university, if a freshman or sophomore tried to register for upper level courses, but had less than 60 quarter units (my university runs on a 10 week quarter system, and we have three quarters: fall, winter, and spring), the system would prevent them from registering for those courses. Also, I'm not sure how strict the universities you applied to are when it comes to prereqs. Where I went, with some exceptions, a lot of the classes that required all these prereq courses didn't even bother to check if you completed the prereqs at all.

Desirable Nerd

Teabo Milk Tea
DIGI7AL
Teabo Milk Tea
DIGI7AL
Sakura Latte

Some upperclassmen will take freshmen-level courses, especially if they decide to change majors, but if you get enough credits to be considered a sophomore, sadly, you still won't be eligible to take upper-level courses. Of course, if you show proficiency in a subject, you could possibly see if you could ask your professor for permission to take an upper-level course, but most of the time, unless you are at junior standing, you won't be able to take the upper courses. For example, at my university, if a freshman or sophomore tried to register for upper level courses, but had less than 60 quarter units (my university runs on a 10 week quarter system, and we have three quarters: fall, winter, and spring), the system would prevent them from registering for those courses. Also, I'm not sure how strict the universities you applied to are when it comes to prereqs. Where I went, with some exceptions, a lot of the classes that required all these prereq courses didn't even bother to check if you completed the prereqs at all.

well like this year i'm taking calculus D, which is around junior level college calculus, so i just didn't know if when i went into college i'd have to go down to like freshman calculus or if i could continue on if i need to do more calculus for my degree.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff