Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Ivee Clover
I'd recommend going to a doctor first, eating an orange, including the peel. and the things you listed are good too. I've tried honey, it just takes away some of the throat symptoms(the problem is still there, might as well take a cough drop.)

If I'm still this sick in a few more days, I'll go to the doctor. If its just a cold, or even the flu, there's not a lot they can do. But I get bronchitis like it's going out of style, and I'm already wheezing. But I'll give it a few more days.

And ewww orange peel...
The honey was awesome, but yeah, no more effective than the bag of cough drops I have.
I'm not sick right now, but I do have a slight cough. Regardless, I'm keeping note of this thread in case it turns to anything. :p

Snow Chil

22,350 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Distrustul Officer 50
If you've got gunk clogging up your lungs, you need an expectorant like mucinex.

Hot things like soup and tea are your best friend.

Honey really does stop a cough, but not for long.

One of my favorite things to do is make a cup of hot tea (green or black), put in 1~2 teaspoons of honey and squeeze in a slice of lemon (let the rind steep in there a few minutes too). This helps a lot. It helps even more if you can put a shot of whiskey in. 3nodding (whiskey is good for coughs)

Also... load up on vitamin C. Hot peppers have vitamin C and will open your sinuses. Mmmm. (usually i get hot salsa and chips).

AVOID dairy. All milk and milk things will do is make you make more phlegm!

Familiar Poster

Sprite and chicken noodle soup.

Hygienic Genius

Feel better soon~
in case nobody else has said it... Echinacea Tea! biggrin
Bubble Shark
Though, I think it's the flu, not a cold, I AM REALLY SICK.

So, I'm here to talk cold/flu remedies, and other stuff about being sick.

1. first of all~ bed rest. I've been in bed for two, going on three, days. It's not working for me. Work for you?

2. Nyquil (or your chosen off-brand equal)~ just makes me sleepy. If I take it for too long it starts to give me violent nightmares, though, so I think I'm going without tonight.

3. Honey? ~ anyone tried this? I have a cough that won't stop, but it's not because of throat irritation, it's because of the junk gucked up in my lungs. But it's giving me a headache, and my chest hurts from coughing.

4. Hot tea~ looking forward to snagging some. Not sure how good it is for sickness, though.

5. Chicken noodle soup~ ******** delicious. I love love love it, but I'm not sure if it helped me at all. But it was good.

That's all I got.
Anyone else sick as s**t right now?
What are you doing about it?

You won't have influenza unless your temperature is 38'C or above; that's the discriminator we use in hospitals to distinguish between that and a cold.

There is no quick fix for a cold/ flu but you can treat your symptoms and as long as you look after yourself, you'll be back to normal soon enough.

Drink hot drinks, as hot as you can just about sip them down - tea or cordial with boiling water will do the trick! Inhaling stream also helps clear your sinuses.

Keep your throat wrapped up when going outside - use a scarf and use a warm hat too (If it's cold I may add! Don't want to look like a numpty with a scarf on at the height of summer! But I guess it could get chilly at night.)

You can also take various cold and flu tablets. Don't take many at once, pick one type and go for that. If you don't have anything branded as a cold and flu remedy, take paracetamol (acetaminophen) - it's usually the primary active ingredient in cold and flu tablets - and a decongestant (ask your local pharmacist for one). If you don't have paracetamol to hand, you could take ibuprofen instead.

NOTE: With all medication taken - BE SURE TO CHECK WHETHER:

1. You are allergic to it.
2. It won't interfere with anything you may already be taking.
3. You haven't already been told by a doctor to avoid the drug - eg. in the case of paracetamol (acetaminophen); if you suffer from a severe liver disease. Or in the case of ibuprofen; if you suffer from a severe liver disease, severe heart failure, a history of peptic ulcers and hypersensitivity to other NSAIDs (eg. aspirin).

And stick to the recommended dose - please refer to the drug information leaflet for that and any other information required. Don't take any more than what is recommended and make sure your parents know, if that's applicable to you.

Eat well, stay hydrated, avoid stress, have plenty of rest and you'll feel right as rain in no time.

Get well soon.

EDIT: Oh and if you have a persistent sore throat that lasts three to four weeks, go to your family doctor (GP), who may refer you for further tests. This is because your sore throat may be a symptom of a more serious condition. But don't worry, it's likely to be just due to a cold and you shouldn't need to seek any medical attention at this stage.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
MegaTurkey
Bubble Shark

1. first of all~ bed rest. I've been in bed for two, going on three, days. It's not working for me. Work for you?

2. Nyquil (or your chosen off-brand equal)~ just makes me sleepy. If I take it for too long it starts to give me violent nightmares, though, so I think I'm going without tonight.

3. Honey? ~ anyone tried this? I have a cough that won't stop, but it's not because of throat irritation, it's because of the junk gucked up in my lungs. But it's giving me a headache, and my chest hurts from coughing.

4. Hot tea~ looking forward to snagging some. Not sure how good it is for sickness, though.

5. Chicken noodle soup~ ******** delicious. I love love love it, but I'm not sure if it helped me at all. But it was good.

That's all I got.

You won't have influenza unless your temperature is 38'C or above; that's the discriminator we use in hospitals to distinguish between that and a cold.

There is no quick fix for a cold/ flu but you can treat your symptoms and as long as you look after yourself, you'll be back to normal soon enough.

Drink hot drinks, as hot as you can just about sip them down - tea or cordial with boiling water will do the trick! Inhaling stream also helps clear your sinuses.

Keep your throat wrapped up when going outside - use a scarf and use a warm hat too (If it's cold I may add! Don't want to look like a numpty with a scarf on at the height of summer! But I guess it could get chilly at night.)

You can also take various cold and flu tablets. Don't take many at once, pick one type and go for that. If you don't have anything branded as a cold and flu remedy, take paracetamol (acetaminophen) - it's usually the primary active ingredient in cold and flu tablets - and a decongestant (ask your local pharmacist for one). If you don't have paracetamol to hand, you could take ibuprofen instead.

3. You haven't already been told by a doctor to avoid the drug - eg. in the case of paracetamol (acetaminophen); if you suffer from a severe liver disease. Or in the case of ibuprofen; if you suffer from a severe liver disease, severe heart failure, a history of peptic ulcers and hypersensitivity to other NSAIDs (eg. aspirin).

And stick to the recommended dose - please refer to the drug information leaflet for that and any other information required. Don't take any more than what is recommended and make sure your parents know, if that's applicable to you.

Eat well, stay hydrated, avoid stress, have plenty of rest and you'll feel right as rain in no time.

Get well soon.

EDIT: Oh and if you have a persistent sore throat that lasts three to four weeks, go to your family doctor (GP), who may refer you for further tests. This is because your sore throat may be a symptom of a more serious condition. But don't worry, it's likely to be just due to a cold and you shouldn't need to seek any medical attention at this stage.

Sources: I'm a medical student.

xd I'm a nurse, so it's awesome to see someone else in the medical field.

Around here, they've actually done blood tests for the flu, and I don't even know what my temperature is. Never went out and bought a thermometer. But I'm giving it a few more days before I go to the doctor, though even for the flu, there's really nothing they can do. The wheezing in my lungs has me a little worried, but I'll wait it out a little longer.

Awesome tips, thanks biggrin
Bubble Shark
MegaTurkey
Bubble Shark

That's all I got.

Get well soon.

Around here, they've actually done blood tests for the flu, and I don't even know what my temperature is. Never went out and bought a thermometer. But I'm giving it a few more days before I go to the doctor, though even for the flu, there's really nothing they can do. The wheezing in my lungs has me a little worried, but I'll wait it out a little longer.

Nice! biggrin Blood tests are a too time consuming and pricy in a pandemic/ seasonal epidemic situation; taking a simple temperature reading does the job nicely enough.

What's your sputum like? Cloudy? Clear? Green? Brown? More of a chesty cough than a dry one?

King Cutie-Pie

x
            I think too much honey at once is icky. I don't like the taste. emotion_puke

Bahh, I just caught a cold last night and I only had enough Nyquil for half a dose. I think I shed a tear. emo

Noob

Neo citrin, or boil water and put some lemon in it.
Remember to drown those bitches in sugar and drink it while it's hot.
Tablespoon of each: lemon juice and honey. Then mix in a juice glass with hot water and drink. Do this on an empty stomach. It works

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
MegaTurkey
Bubble Shark
MegaTurkey
Bubble Shark

That's all I got.

Get well soon.

Nice! biggrin Blood tests are a too time consuming and pricy in a pandemic/ seasonal epidemic situation; taking a simple temperature reading does the job nicely enough.

What's your sputum like? Cloudy? Clear? Green? Brown? More of a chesty cough than a dry one?

Clear, productive cough from the chest, not a dry cough.

I need to take my temperature, but I'd have to go out to my mom's house to use her thermometer, and it's cold outside, so I think I'll just stay warm in bed and skip it. Besides, I've been taking the max dose of Tylenol for like 3 days, and there's not much more I can do, so I'll be alright.
If you are sick, sleep.
Sleep a lot! You need it. If you are very sick, it might be that just three days is not enough. The last time I was sick, I slept for a full week (but I also had a 40 degrees celsius fever).
And get the vitamins you need. Drink a lot of fresh fruit juice.

Also, the tea with honey actually does help. The tea (and other drinks, like the juice) does help against irritation, and it is important to stay hydrated. The honey has antibacterial components in it, which can help fighting against a bacterial infection you have or might catch. It is very likely that you just have a virus, but it is quite common that people who had a flu or cold get a bacterial infection afterwards, which you can recognize by the colour of everything you sneeze out or cough up. Plus, the honey also soothens, although you might not need it.

If you are very sick, you might not feel the need to eat a lot. But make sure you do get some energy. Don't drink water, but as I said, drink juices or tea with honey. The soup you ate also is good. But fresh soups are always better.
Awww, I hope you get well soon, dear!

When I suffer from a cold, I usually just try to sleep it off and use the granny-tricks. (I'm not too keen on taking medicin for anything I feel my body should be able to fight off by its own.) In my experience, drinking hot tea mixed with one or two theesponns of honey helps soothe a sore throat. And before going to bed (or if I have to go out in public) I like to clean my nose with a combo of lukewarm water and a bit of salt, so that I can breathe throuh it again. You could use a neti-pot or a nose-shower (unsure if this is what they are really called) for this, but simply using a spoon might already work.
And of course, eating well (and healthy, avoid sugary or greasy food) and staying warm.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff