Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

5,025 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
User Image

Well, the only problem with science as a whole is that yes, there are alot of answers, but not all of them are always true. Science is being revised daily on new findings, discoveries and theories. Even math is based on simple assumptions, but they're just that, assumptions. This is coming from someone who is up to Calculus, and taking Calc 2 next year. -_-"

However, I am a firm believer in evolution. They've discovered the missing link between reptiles and mammals, and reptiles and birds. What more proof do we need that organisms change over time to better suit their environment?

But in the argument of Science vs Faith, it's silly, because even science is a faith in the people making discoveries.

Do I look like a guy with a plan?

Dapper Genius

5,025 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
AijinNoGekko
Yagermiester
I think religion is also completely ignorant of science. And believers of faith choose not to seek the truth.
Oo I like evolution....
and I like God.

Oi, but yeah, I have one friend who's uber religious (I mean, I'm religious, but she makes me look like I'm up to my eyebrows in sin all the time), and she's homeschooled. And, up on the shelves in her living room, her parents have the books The Lie: Evolution, and Evolution Debunked. And I'm all for respecting people's opinions and beliefs, but honestly I think she should be exposed to more than just that in her schooling, and I somehow doubt that she is. neutral
User Image

I'm....very sorry for your friend. Hate only begets hate, and even Jesus was Jewish with a Buddhist way of life.

ailvl33
i used to say i was christian.
but after learning about evolution and everything that had to do with science, i lost faith. science has ANSWERS. it explains why things are the way they are. i just dont get religion. im ashamed, but its the truth.

I'm not entirely religious, but maybe science is like God's laws. They are how He explains things to us. The way He acts to do things. Also, religion is a way to prevent chaos. If people believed they had one life, and there were no ulterior consequences, why not kill? wny not do anything if you won't get punished for it?

( I love religious debates. They really work my mind! 3nodding )
ailvl33
but after learning about evolution and everything that had to do with science, i lost faith. science has ANSWERS. it explains why things are the way they are. i just dont get religion. im ashamed, but its the truth.

I believe in evolution to a certain extent. I read all the theories of Darwin, and I have come to the conclusion that in the beginning of time there was one fish, one bird, one reptile, one bear, on feline, etc. which evolved into the many fish/birds/reptiles we have today, for this there is overwhelming evidence. However, there is no valid proof that fish evolved into horses and what not! Even if we did evolve from one common ancestor who created him? All the experiments of how a cell could have formed on the prehistoric each have been proved to have faulty chemicals. For example the leading experiment, which supposedly proves how life began, is the Miller and Urey experiment, however scientists have proven that the original simulations of earth atmosphere were not accurate! As for the statement that man and every other creature have evolved over time from one common ancestor has no real leading evidence. Basically scientists argue this point with to points, the fossil record and homologous body structures. However, the fossil record is incomplete and there are no real ape/human fossils. As for the homologous body structure scientist simply look at the bones in birds and try to locate similar bones in alligators. I do not think that these are very valid pieces of evidence. In fact Darwin himself manufactured one of the ape/human fossils and tried to pass it of as a fossil. I believe in Christianity because I read the Case for Christ, which backs up the claims to Christianity with logic and evidence! I suggest buying the teen edition for whoever is interested it’s about 100 pages and it’s a quick read.
turbid blue
Shouldn't this topic be Creationism v Evolution? Otherwise it's like Christianity vs gravity, or Hinduism vs law of conservation of matter.
Agreed. Because evolution can go hand in hand with Christianity.
Actually, it's "Intelligent Design" or "Creationism," not "Christianity." My friend is a Christian who believes in evolution.
I'm an atheist, and evolution absolutely plausible, unlike the other options, imho.
magefeathers
User Image

I'm....very sorry for your friend. Hate only begets hate, and even Jesus was Jewish with a Buddhist way of life.

Me too. sad
She seems to be open-minded, though, and so I don't think she's falling for the old "Evolution is a lie!" bit.
She's also an amazing violinist, but that has nothing to do with this.... confused Except that her life is surrounded by nothing but homeschooling and playing the violin. She's quite sheltered, but like I said, she appears to be rather open-minded.
What really irks me is people that believe "faith" goes hand in hand with religion. Obviously if you are a believer and follower of the "truth" in science, you have to believe and have faith that it is true. Faith is the very strength and core of any belief.

Dapper Genius

5,025 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
Yovela
What really irks me is people that believe "faith" goes hand in hand with religion. Obviously if you are a believer and follower of the "truth" in science, you have to believe and have faith that it is true. Faith is the very strength and core of any belief.
User Image

No, that's the truth! And kudos for pointing that out! -thumbs up-

Yagermiester
I think religion is also completely ignorant of science. And believers of faith choose not to seek the truth.
Historically it has been at least partially religious motives that brought about knowledge, some of which is still used today.
Religions seek a different truth than science, but most people refuse to accept that much.
And certain scientific theories are just as easily coined as beliefs since they're just something you have to accept and assume that what's given to you is proof.
Macro-evolution can't be proven without a doubt since the theory in itself would suggest that macro-evolution takes thousands to millions of years.

Dapper Genius

5,025 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
misslovelylollipop
ailvl33

I believe in evolution to a certain extent. I read all the theories of Darwin, and I have come to the conclusion that in the beginning of time there was one fish, one bird, one reptile, one bear, on feline, etc. which evolved into the many fish/birds/reptiles we have today, for this there is overwhelming evidence. However, there is no valid proof that fish evolved into horses and what not! Even if we did evolve from one common ancestor who created him? All the experiments of how a cell could have formed on the prehistoric each have been proved to have faulty chemicals. For example the leading experiment, which supposedly proves how life began, is the Miller and Urey experiment, however scientists have proven that the original simulations of earth atmosphere were not accurate! As for the statement that man and every other creature have evolved over time from one common ancestor has no real leading evidence. Basically scientists argue this point with to points, the fossil record and homologous body structures. However, the fossil record is incomplete and there are no real ape/human fossils. As for the homologous body structure scientist simply look at the bones in birds and try to locate similar bones in alligators. I do not think that these are very valid pieces of evidence. In fact Darwin himself manufactured one of the ape/human fossils and tried to pass it of as a fossil. I believe in Christianity because I read the Case for Christ, which backs up the claims to Christianity with logic and evidence! I suggest buying the teen edition for whoever is interested it’s about 100 pages and it’s a quick read.
User Image

Well, a quick read is hardly solid evidence. There's several links between fish and reptiles, many of which still exist today.

Amphibians are the link between fish and reptiles, which divided up between mammals and birds. And they have found links between both classes, which suggests all life originated from the sea.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional/part1b.html

This is a much more in depth analysis of transitions between animal kingdoms.

I refuse to think that people saying something because thats what they were told, and their teachers were told ha any merit other than popular opinion. I don't see any difference between worshipping religion gods totems idols cults etc.

I want the biological molecular thruth, not opinions or sermons.

Dapper Genius

5,025 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
Daereth
Yagermiester
Historically it has been at least partially religious motives that brought about knowledge, some of which is still used today.
Religions seek a different truth than science, but most people refuse to accept that much.
And certain scientific theories are just as easily coined as beliefs since they're just something you have to accept and assume that what's given to you is proof.
Macro-evolution can't be proven without a doubt since the theory in itself would suggest that macro-evolution takes thousands to millions of years.

User Image

And how old do you think the universe is? 2,000 years old? Life on Earth has had 600 MILLION years to perfect themselves, and we're changing everyday.

magefeathers
Daereth
Yagermiester

User Image

And how old do you think the universe is? 2,000 years old? Life on Earth has had 600 MILLION years to perfect themselves, and we're changing everyday.

I never denied the plausibility of evolution, I denied the plausibility of proof beyond a doubt, at least in the near future.
As far as I care, the current state of the theory of evolution is about as plausible as someone saying all those animals were plopped onto the planet.

Um, I believe this thread should be called CREATIONISM vs. evolution?

I'm a christian, and I believe in evolution.

Fail thread FAILS.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces