Welcome to Gaia! ::

My mom kept her last time and added my dad's last name after hers. This is a topic that I have some conflict with. My boyfriends last name is "Park", and I'm hispanic with a rather very long first name, middle name and last names once they are compiled together which I actually like.

I would go from very long to a rather very short "Maria Park" and adding my middle name would just make it sound even weirder. lol

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Would you take your partners last name, or would you like your partner to take it? Why?
I would take my partner's. It's traditional, and his is shorter and easier to write out xd

Would you name your children after whose last name?
His, if we're married (and I'm not having kids until I'm married, so that solves that). If I was to have a child with someone random and was unmarried, I'd give the child my last name.

Do you like your last name?
Not particularly. It's very long, and not very pretty.

Do you like pizza?
Eh, sometimes. It's not my first choice of food.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
My Little Spider Friend
Lets talk about names. It's a common tradition to change your last name after marriage, however it's not always needed. My art teacher didn't change her last name after marriage, and I know some teachers who just added the name on. Personally, I have a really nice, traditional last name. I'd like to keep it after marriage, but add on my husbands last name. Hopefully, when I have children, I have more than one boy. One boy I'd like to give his last name, and the other boy I'd like to give mine. That way both of our names will hopefully be carried on.

Discuss:
Would you take your partners last name, or would you like your partner to take it? Why?
Do you like pizza?

I changed mine. I liked the idea. I really can't explain why. I think it is a person choice tho

Last name of kids will be his/ours. I have considered naming a child middle or first name my former last name

I do like both names

Sometimes I like pizza but I'm allergic to milk so I can't eat it often.

Shy Fairy

8,300 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Quote:

I would take my partner's last name; I already do so in the context of historical reenactment, so to me it would make no significant difference doing so with my name otherwise. I do prefer his Roman name to his ordinary last name however.

Quote:

Ours. Or depending on how I feel at the time, we might double-barrel it to keep my side of the family going. We both have an interest in genealogy and history, so it would not be entirely problematic. If anyone asked why, I would give the aforementioned history reason. I have seen family lines and names die out before, and have no desire for mine/ours to do the same.

Quote:

No. I actually prefer my mother's maiden name.

Quote:
Do you like pizza?

Yes, regretfully. I miss the pizza I had in Roma, nothing has been the same since!
Well I'd take after my husband's last name. Just because he would be the head of the household.
Call me "old fashioned" but I don't care. I do believe that men are suppose to be the stronghold of the house if I were to get married. (Thankfully, I am not married.. still single and enjoying it.. sometimes..lol)

Lavish Loiterer

I think I'll just hyphenate my last name to my significant others.
They can take his last name.
My last name is fine.
I love pizza emotion_drool
Whiskey Grey
Eh, I believe if you're serious enough to get married to someone, you're starting a family and you should have a family name. Personally I would question how serious someone would be if they didn't want everyone in the family to have the same family name. Would feel like they've got their foot between the door just in case.
so, assuming you're a straight male, would you be willing to take your wife's last name?
I would only take my bf's last name if I liked it better than mine, which I don't.
He can take mine if he likes. If not, that's fine.
Our kids will have hyphenated names until they're old enough to choose which one they like better.

Blah blah blah not supporting patriarchy.
I would want my husbands last name, and for our children to have his name as well. I honestly do not care about "only his name carrying on." thing, why marry in the first place then if that is going to be a big deal?

Should be more about families and being a healthy safe place for everyone.

Sadly divorces are becoming so common, none of it is starting to matter. It's sad really.

Greedy Giver

I have one child and I'm not planing on having any more. She came at the beginning of my relationship and she has my husband's last name, never even crossed my mind to give her my last name, if it had the outcome would still be the same.
After several years of being engaged, I grew into an adult and a mother and his wife with the last name I've always had, so when it came to getting married I kept my last name. Actually tying the knot didn't change anything as far as how we live our lives, so why should I change my name over it? My name is my own, I don't belong to him anymore than he belongs to me (that bit was even in our vows)

Not changing my name did save me on some paperwork, although I mostly kept it just because I felt that was-and is- my identity. I'm still Mrs. >husband's last name< particularly being the mother of a child with his last name, people often just make this assumption and I don't mind that anymore than I minded people assuming we were married before we officially were. However, if I'm asked if that's my name, then I'm not going to lie... this has led to me pissing a few people off, actually.
ex:

Hubby talked to a company for house insurance, they had to come and check out the house, he told the guy "I'm working out of state but my wife is home, please call her and set up a time tonight to come out" and when the dude called and asked if I was Mrs >hubby's last name< I didn't want to say NO because I knew what he was getting at but I couldn't honestly say YES either, so I said KINDA and he didn't like that too much and got all pissy with me on the phone... till he came out and I explained I have a different last name (and that my hubb's job doesn't allow him to talk on the phone which is why he couldn't answer his calls or get back to him right away because its a big safety concern cuz I think that pissed the guy off too lol)

and it has added some complications to having both our names on some bills, like when I added him to the electric co-op account and they were all confused why I wasn't changing my name on the application too and then all of the sudden they needed a copy of the marriage license as well (I wonder about if we were brother and sister or otherwise coincidentally had the same last name, they probably wouldn't have even asked)
and the way our names appear on the trash bill is super-weird... "Mrs. >my first name<>his last name<>my last name<>half of his first name//cutoff"

but ya know, other than stupid s**t with stupid people we have to pay bills to, there hasn't been any issues with me keeping my last name lol

Noob

7,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
Would you take your partners last name, or would you like your partner to take it? Why? I want my partners last name. My family name is the last name my great great grandparents were given when we were slaves so I'd love to change it.

Would you name your children after whose last name? They are going to have his last name.

Do you like your last name? I hate my last name. I can't wait to take his.

Do you like pizza? Yes! With a crunchy bottom and tons of black olives!
My mother wanted to keep her own name and give her name to her children when she got married. At that time, this wasn't allowed. She had to take her husband's last name and we also got his.
I want to take my future husband's last name. Why? In my own country, my last name is really plain and boring. In English speaking countries, they pronounce it as something vulgar. They pronounce my first name as ''Married'' and then my last name as something among the lines of ''c**t'' -of course I used an example here due to privacy reasons-. Great for my international career! So a pseudonym or name change it is.
I would take my partners last name because it's the normal thing to do. My mom has my dad's last name.
Would you name your children after whose last name? Partner's.
Do you like your last name? Yes.
Do you like pizza? No.
I changed my name after I got divorced... oh wait, the question was after getting married wasn't it?
Well then I changed my name twice, there was arguing too. I didn't want to change my last name when I was about to be married, and I felt like I had to get my maiden name back when I got divorced to really do my own thing on my own again.

So I'm the new me, or the me I am today with my old last name- however that works out.
- Nah. I'll keep my last name... If I ever decide to get married, that is

- Ew, I don't like children.

- Yeah. It's super uncommon. My full name is totally one of a kind.

- I ******** love pizza.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces