Welcome to Gaia! ::

My sister claimed that when she turns 18, she's going to adopt me and move to England with me.
However, if that is even legal?
If not, could it be counted as kidnapping if she took me with her without our parents consent?
It's legal if the parents or legal guardians are seen as unfit to be caregivers.

1,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
If your other parent/guardian figure is deceased and/or unable to take proper care of you, and a judge sees that she is fit to do so, then yes, she very well could.
It is legal but your sister has to get guardianship of you and to do that your parents would have to give up guardianship.
She's probably going have to get a lawyer and file for a legal adoption, rather than just taking you to England without your parents' consent. If your parents are unfit to take care of you, and see that your sister seems to be financially stable and be able to support herself and you, then it could be granted. There are so much more factors involved though.
Hm
I strongly doubt my parents will ever be willing to give up custody of me to anyone, espically her.

So the other question:
Can they arrest her for kidnapping, or me for running away, if we run off somewhere.
Running away is not illegal, and a child cannot be brought back without consent.
I think it is legal.
i took guardianship of my sister as our parents were deemed unfit. it's not easy to do, but can be done. depending on your age and hers, kidnapping may be seen as an issue, though with background story and whys and all that, it could probably be gotten past.
HistoryWak
It is legal but your sister has to get guardianship of you and to do that your parents would have to give up guardianship.

What he said.
Tsuah
Running away is not illegal, and a child cannot be brought back without consent.
In what country? In the United States YES running away IS illegal, and a child most certainly will be "brought back without consent." A runaway child is considered a missing person and anyone harboring a runaway can be arrested as accessory to kidnapping, EVEN in the child stayed willingly, as a minor is still under the direction of her legal guardian.

(the Moral of this story, do NOT take your legal advise from an teenager on an anime website)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff