Welcome to Gaia! ::

Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll
Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll
i had wanted to do something similar, but with achievements that you'd complete over your entire life span. i never got around to it though...

I think you should do it!
well the problem was that every time I looked at it most of the things require money
I mean what doesn't nowadays but I wanted them to be meaningful

your first post almost sounds buddhistic though and I like that

What kind of things?
things to look forward to, things to learn
museums and such
trips to places like Paris, not for fashion or whatever, but for history
aaaaand that's all I got. sweatdrop

also I think what you're doing is great. 4laugh

Gracious Hunter

littlerabbitdoll
Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll
Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll
i had wanted to do something similar, but with achievements that you'd complete over your entire life span. i never got around to it though...

well the problem was that every time I looked at it most of the things require money

What kind of things?
museums and such

Sounds interesting, I would like to see your idea fleshed out c;

Thanks, I'm doing what I can which isn't much but hopefully it will start to add up.
Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll
Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll
Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll

What kind of things?
museums and such

Thanks, I'm doing what I can which isn't much but hopefully it will start to add up.
bah. I can't even manage to clean my room, though. is there a stat for laziness? :c

Gracious Hunter

littlerabbitdoll
Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll
Knight sivou
littlerabbitdoll

What kind of things?
museums and such

bah. I can't even manage to clean my room, though. is there a stat for laziness? :c

Yeah but it takes away experience.

Fanatical Codger

I think self-improvement is really cool and admirable. Its nice to just take care of yourself at times and whatnot, often it can lead to better interactions with people and more opportunities when you manage to better yourself (eating better/improving your mental state/working harder/etc...)
Raven Winter
My idea of "bettering myself" involves adopting habits and philosophies to prepare me for death in every instant, as the role of a guardian is to die. I could at any time have to fight to protect myself or others, so I have to be prepared for that (well-rested, not drunk, in practice, etc.) at all times, and if so, I have to simply see my opponent and face them resolutely. It will simply be my "destiny", or his, to live or to die. I need to consider this and accept it every day, so that I can do it without hesitation. As a consequence, I may come to more fully appreciate living and the things we do every day, like... having the ability to sit and have coffee or tea, quietly, and alive.
Bettering myself means learning how to use every weapon I come across and focusing daily on my death. And in life, taking responsibility for the things I do and say, and what I become.

I am not the person this describes, although I decided that I would be as a child and have come somewhat closer since.

So I'm "bettering myself" in a sense, but it's not the sense people tend to throw around.

That sounds pretty interesting, looking at life as constant preparation. Doesn't it become a bit tiring after a while though? The perpetual state of awareness, acknowledging everything(or at least trying), blah.
Chartreusethewaterdemon
I think self-improvement is really cool and admirable. Its nice to just take care of yourself at times and whatnot, often it can lead to better interactions with people and more opportunities when you manage to better yourself (eating better/improving your mental state/working harder/etc...)

I agree, but what I often witness is someone trying to do many tasks at once or for the wrong reasons. I made that error plenty of times, giving myself a plethora of new responsibilities without understanding that failure is fine. I wanted to exercise more often, eat healthier, better my social skills, etc. These were great aspirations, though my initial inflexibility kept me from succeeding well. My accomplishments were also related to receiving praise from others; I kept on envisioning my peers extolling me for all of the fantastic things I was doing, and that was wrong. I now try to improve myself as a personal endeavor, doing something new little by little. Sometimes I make mistakes, but I know that it's not important overall. Unfortunately a few of my friends are having a similar problem; they want to act not out of innate motivation, but external validation. They want to do so much perfectly, without appreciating the things in which they succeed.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Prodigalboy
Raven Winter
My idea of "bettering myself" involves adopting habits and philosophies to prepare me for death in every instant, as the role of a guardian is to die. I could at any time have to fight to protect myself or others, so I have to be prepared for that (well-rested, not drunk, in practice, etc.) at all times, and if so, I have to simply see my opponent and face them resolutely. It will simply be my "destiny", or his, to live or to die. I need to consider this and accept it every day, so that I can do it without hesitation. As a consequence, I may come to more fully appreciate living and the things we do every day, like... having the ability to sit and have coffee or tea, quietly, and alive.
Bettering myself means learning how to use every weapon I come across and focusing daily on my death. And in life, taking responsibility for the things I do and say, and what I become.

I am not the person this describes, although I decided that I would be as a child and have come somewhat closer since.

So I'm "bettering myself" in a sense, but it's not the sense people tend to throw around.

That sounds pretty interesting, looking at life as constant preparation. Doesn't it become a bit tiring after a while though? The perpetual state of awareness, acknowledging everything(or at least trying), blah.

No, I've kind of always done it. It was a result of my upbringing. I decided to never dance because it would leave me tired without accomplishing anything (contrarily, I've recently decided to learn because it might allow me I approach a person without drawing attention). Only ate until I wasn't hungry because being full makes you slow. Pick seats in restaurants that allow me to watch the door and other tables. Be mindful of places I can't see.. Et cetera. It's really easier than you might think, too.

Gracious Hunter

Raven Winter
Prodigalboy
Raven Winter

No, I've kind of always done it. It was a result of my upbringing. I decided to never dance because it would leave me tired without accomplishing anything (contrarily, I've recently decided to learn because it might allow me I approach a person without drawing attention). Only ate until I wasn't hungry because being full makes you slow. Pick seats in restaurants that allow me to watch the door and other tables. Be mindful of places I can't see.. Et cetera. It's really easier than you might think, too.

Exact, the awareness starts to become second nature. If you were to use the chart it would be more like stepping stones or training wheels that you can eventually ditch.

Playing strategic/puzzle games helps your fluid memory and reaction time which can translate into the real world as, but not limited to, wit and the ability to keep yourself out of harms way. It has to be coupled with various aspects of memory and motor skills in order for the effects to flourish but once your brain starts to work like it was meant to work you will be able to the world how a "genius" would see it. Overwhelming at first but you get used to to it. I see it as improving intelligence (not knowledge).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff