Welcome to Gaia! ::

Girl-Crazy Bloodsucker

What do geishas even do?

Desirable Lunatic

I wouldn't mind being a geisha for a certain somebody ONLY but my mindset runs along the lines of '******** everybody god I want to kill you all-'

So
No.
Never.
Good Lord.

Sunilu's Prince

Bachelorette

I think it's wonderful to decide on your dream and go after it no matter how difficult it can be. Congratulations to Kikuyu. That's the whole meaning of life, following your dreams.

Sunilu's Prince

Bachelorette

I Shall Give You NoMercy
What do geishas even do?

They entertain mostly male customers at parties. They dance, play instruments, serve tea, play games, and drink. I'm sure there is other stuff, they're usually skilled in an array of arts.

Rainbow Unicorn

Probably. I could very well leave the life I have behind.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Pnyuu
User Image
why the ******** would anybody want to go through that

is the pay even good

My guess is that it's not nearly as good as it was, but that there's certainly some decent pay to be made, if not at private business parties, the tourism market would be shooting fish in a barrel.

Besides, lonely people over there have alternative means of affordable company, whether it be pillows, dolls, maid cafes, male hosts, dating sim games, they have a s**t ton of stuff for people to go to to interact in instead of just saying kind things to one another, man.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I aint got the memory for it

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Not for me

Magical Star

I'd like that.
I think I could handle it if I was able to speak the language better.

Dapper Ladykiller

If I was Japanese, maybe I could see that.

Anxious Gekko

gaia_star gaia_star gaia_star

op this looks awesome! i have the doc loading now. i am very glad ppl are keeping these traditions alve. 15? wow. i dont know what i really want to do even now. but i am glad she knows herself so well.

there's a cultural thing with how men & women interact in japan that is so different. like geisha & more modern stuff like hostess bars & maid cafes. these places where guys will go just to be able to drink & flirt & be silly with women without any pressure to start a relationship or have sex.

on hand i think its kind of weird & that it like i dunno stresses that women are somehow removed & 'other' & they cant approach them unless its at a place like this. but i can also see where this also gives guys a chance to talk to women without worrying about rejection when they might be really shy or awkward. something like that might be good for countries where men & women are usally super segragated like in the mideast.

Anxious Gekko

Silly Annie

i dont think i could kneel like that without my legs falling asleep lol.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
darlene devonshire
Silly Annie

i dont think i could kneel like that without my legs falling asleep lol.

dude you get sore knees after a whole day man
like real sore
The life of a maiko or geiko is not easy. If I could devote my life to art like they do, I would. If it isn't the art you're thinking of, then you've got the wrong impression and finding out more information on being a host or hostess in Japan would give you a more modern idea of what they go through when entertaining because they have to be able to preform their art, hold their drink, keep their customers happy, etc. The host/hostess is just without the art and what misinformed people think maiko and geiko do.
In my opinion, maiko aren't as impressive as they used to be. It's not a lifelong commitment anymore and many obaa-san are afraid of offending or working them too hard because in a modern world, nothing is holding them to that lifestyle if they want to quit also hence the extremely short training time (when it used to be something like starting at 3 years old shikomi-san to a maiko and at about 15 before becoming a geiko).

@OP: Are you a member of Immortal Geisha? If you aren't, may I suggest checking out that website? It is one of the best places to learn more about the maiko/geiko culture.
Raven Winter
My only real goal in life is to become a master swordsman. I'm not interested in a fulfilling career; I don't want kids; I don't need a lot of friends; I don't care about having money or owning a house. If there weren't people I care about that I'd prefer to stay around, I might just leave and walk around the country finding ways to improve. That's the only thing I really have a strong desire to accomplish.

I assume that's relatively old-school, yeah?

Your dream is my fantasy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces