Welcome to Gaia! ::

My favourite passage from the Bible [Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth] is Matthew 18 19, Mark 9 10, Luke 9 18.

It reads as follows...
Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

I also love this one....
Mark 9:42
"And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones, it is better for them that a millstone were hanged about their neck, and they were cast into the sea".

What do you think of the above passages? How do you interpret them?
What are your favourite passages from the Bible?

I'm really looking forward to hearing your views. Thank you so much.

Tipsy Kitten

frost why are you using different accounts to post in the same thread.

Tipsy Kitten

Verenicruz the comeback
Toki Bird
frost why are you using different accounts to post in the same thread.
I'm not

I get it

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
"Happy shall he be that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Timid Seeker

Raven Winter

Context matters:
Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
“Tear it down,” they cried,
“tear it down to its foundations!”
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.
- Psalm 137

That's a personal prayer of the psalmist for God to repay the Babylonians for what they've done to Jerusalem when they sacked it. It's interpreted that the Babylonians had killed the children in the city, dashing them upon rocks, and when this was composed the psalmist is wishing that the same would happen to the Babylonians when they fall.
K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a
Raven Winter

Context matters:
- Psalm 137

That's a personal prayer of the psalmist for God to repay the Babylonians for what they've done to Jerusalem when they sacked it. It's interpreted that the Babylonians had killed the children in the city, dashing them upon rocks, and when this was composed the psalmist is wishing that the same would happen to the Babylonians when they fall.

Thank you K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a for putting that in perspective. smile
I just like the words that Jesus spoke.

What are your favourite words that Jesus spoke?

Indulgent Partner

While the Israelites were camped at Acacia, some of the men defiled themselves by sleeping with the local Moabite women. These women invited them to attend sacrifices to their gods, and soon the Israelites were feasting with them and worshiping the gods of Moab. Before long Israel was joining in the worship of Baal of Peor, causing the LORD's anger to blaze against his people. The LORD issued the following command to Moses: "Seize all the ringleaders and execute them before the LORD in broad daylight, so his fierce anger will turn away from the people of Israel." So Moses ordered Israel's judges to execute everyone who had joined in worshiping Baal of Peor. Just then one of the Israelite men brought a Midianite woman into the camp, right before the eyes of Moses and all the people, as they were weeping at the entrance of the Tabernacle. When Phinehas son of Eleazar and grandson of Aaron the priest saw this, he jumped up and left the assembly. Then he took a spear and rushed after the man into his tent. Phinehas thrust the spear all the way through the man's body and into the woman's stomach. So the plague against the Israelites was stopped, but not before 24,000 people had died. (Numbers 25:1-9 NLT)
I wonder does God feel disappointed? God gave life but yet we, as humans, seem to be obsessed with destroying it.
I wonder does God sometimes think that the whole thing was a bit of a fail?

Timid Seeker

My favorite chapter in the gospels is Matthew 13. Jesus teaches in parables; the parable of the sower and the parable of the hidden treasure are my favorites.

"Parable of the Sower"

“A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

"Parable of the Hidden Treasure"

44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

Looking over it, I actually really enjoy this one as well:
52 He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.”

It's part of the parable of the net.

Also:
34 “I will open my mouth in parables,
I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”
The parable of the sower is really nice. Very uplifting. I'm familiar with it. I'm not sure of the others
K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a, I'm still reading and learning.

I also like The Rich Young Man, I'm sure you know that one smile

Thank you for sharing your favourites K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a smile

Also:
34 “I will open my mouth in parables,
I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”

The Bible is a very good read, it can be very uplifting, sad and very mysterious.

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Omg one of my favorite scriptures is Romans 10:13 "For whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved." And it means a lot 2 me because God is perfect and no matter what situation I find myself in he saves me, Every time I asked God for help he comes right on time smile

Sugary Cat

Hats off for this bible verse:
Quote:
Proverbs 21:19 (New Living Translation)
It is better to live alone in the desert than with a crabby, complaining wife.

This one should be turned in a philosophy lol

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a
Raven Winter

Context matters:
- Psalm 137

So what are you trying to convey? What's the importance of that distinction?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff