Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Cutie-Pie

13,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
XxAmourLaArtsxX
Thank you very much!, I was just so frustrated that there aren't really any children s book focused on this subject..So I decided "hey I'm a writer and an Illustrator so I'll just make one myself!" hopefully this will be good enough to publish sweatdrop (not professionally but oh well gotta start somehow) 3nodding

Miss Ruckus
XxAmourLaArtsxX

яυcкυs sαчs...

I would BUY that book
good on you for wanting to do that for him and for others
you rock!

яυcкυs sαчs...

You never know, you are right
there aren't a lot of books for the more special needs marketplace
that are not too instructional for a child to enjoy smile
You never know a small publishing house may want to pick it up, never hurts to try
Keep me in mind when you've got it all finished

Dangerous Gaian

12,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'm autistic and proud smile (Aspergers Syndrome)

Nice thread.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
My cousin has autism and I pretty much grew up alongside him. He's 19 now, I'm 23. I was afraid of him a lot when we were young because he was totally violent and a lot bigger than me. And he had to watch his shows all day until a certain time, then have his certain lunch, then play video games with his brother. If anything didn't happen right in that routine (say, ******** rain, and the satellite went out) s**t really hit the fan.

The school he went to wanted him on ADHD medication, but when my aunt put him on it, it turned him into a total zombie and he lost a ton of weight, and she decided she wasn't going to do that with him. Well, the school said he could attend there anymore because they couldn't handle him, so she had to find him a new school. It was really hard for her to do all that. Eventually she did, and the new school was really great, and worked with the kids and did other exercises when he got restless. Stuff like jumping jacks and hopping down the hall with his feet together, instead of just telling him to be quiet and do his homework or whatever. He graduates high school this spring, it's really exciting biggrin I'm not sure what he's going to do after, though. He's really crazy smart, he just has trouble socially and behaviorally and everything. But when you talk to him, you can tell, he's sharp as a tack.

Good luck to you with your son, I know it can be hard, I watched my aunt do it for years. But autistic kids have their own gifts, too heart

Fuzzy Member

Boxer Rob

Nice thread.
I never understood this.
Being unashamed and unapologetic is fine, sure. Can't help what you are.
But what's there to be proud of? What, did you achieve your autism or something?

Dangerous Gaian

12,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob

Nice thread.
I never understood this.
But what's there to be proud of? What, did you achieve your autism or something?

Took up a sport called Boxing 3 years ago (met many people with similar interest and met some awesome people I consider friends), led me into a great life so far being big, strong, fast and confident enough to step into a ring with 100's of people watching to engage in one to one combat with another human being.

IMO if it wasn't for the way I am I may not have gotten addicted to it and might not of been able to be as great as I am.

Has shown me a great new interest in life and now training to become a personal trainer.

I have many drawbacks in life with my Aspergers but soon as it comes to anything fitness related now (especially gym/boxing related) then I'm in the zone and nothing can hold me back.

Take it as you will, I don't care. smile

Fuzzy Member

Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob

Nice thread.
I never understood this.

Took up a sport called Boxing 3 years ago (met many people with similar interest and met some awesome people I consider friends), led me into a great life so far being big, strong, fast and confident enough to step into a ring with 100's of people watching to engage in one to one combat with another human being.

IMO if it wasn't for the way I am I may not have gotten addicted to it and might not of been able to be as great as I am.

Has shown me a great new interest in life and now training to become a personal trainer.

I have many drawbacks in life with my Aspergers but soon as it comes to anything fitness related now (especially gym/boxing related) then I'm in the zone and nothing can hold me back.

And you attribute this to your autism?
Alright.

Even so, why pride?

Dangerous Gaian

12,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob

Nice thread.
I never understood this.

Alright.

Even so, why pride?

Yep.

Why not.

Fuzzy Member

Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob

Nice thread.
I never understood this.

Alright.

Even so, why pride?

Yep.

Why not.
Because it is not something you have achieved? Your autism was an accident of your birth, not something you managed to attain by your own deeds? And especially when it's something arguably negative in nature?

Dangerous Gaian

12,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob

Nice thread.
I never understood this.

Alright.

Even so, why pride?

Yep.

Why not.
Because it is not something you have achieved? Your autism was an accident of your birth, not something you managed to attain by your own deeds? And especially when it's something arguably negative in nature?

Call it what you will but I believe everything is predetermined in life, when we die illnesses etc.

My Autism wasn't an accident, it's just how I am and it was how I was meant to be and because of this gift I can use it to focus on something and become the best I can be at it.

I spent all teenage life being bullied for being "different" and I can now stick my middle finger up to them all and say ******** you.

Fuzzy Member

Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob

Alright.

Even so, why pride?

Yep.

Why not.

Call it what you will but I believe everything is predetermined in life, when we die illnesses etc.

My Autism wasn't an accident, it's just how I am and it was how I was meant to be and because of this gift I can use it to focus on something and become the best I can be at it.

I spent all teenage life being bullied for being "different" and I can now stick my middle finger up to them all and say ******** you.
Ah
Fatalism

Fatalism also stands against you having any reason to feel proud. Your acclomplishments are pre-determined, you did not achieve anything yourself, you were merely fated to succeed in this and fail in that.

So agian, why pride?

Dangerous Gaian

12,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob
Wigwam the Dodo
Boxer Rob

Alright.

Even so, why pride?

Yep.

Why not.

Ah
Fatalism

Fatalism also stands against you having any reason to feel proud. Your acclomplishments are pre-determined, you did not achieve anything yourself, you were merely fated to succeed in this and fail in that.

So agian, why pride?

,,l,, Troll /end
XxAmourLaArtsxX
My youngest Nephew has autism, his parents take him to this special school for kids with autism, I don;t really see him that much so I don't really have a story (wish I did) I actually have learning Disability, and I'm trying to make a Children book for kids with disability's, this book is dedicated to him... heart it's called "Color My Voice" and focuses on children who have disability's in the school setting, though i'm still working on it...It actually very hard to be honest, BUT i'm gonna try my best!

DO IT!!!!

This is what Kickstarter and other crowd-funding places were made for...seriously!!!!! xd

Weirdly appropriate Captcha #2,341: "Make my day"!

Spoopy Kitten

I was supposed to be diagnosed with autism when i was four/five. Reason being, i never understood social ques or how to react when someone told me something i didnt like. When my friends got mad at me for being blunt, id cry because i couldnt understand why they were mad. I never lied, so if they asked me something bad, i gave a blunt honest answer. More than often, it got me into a lot of trouble. My mom would try to sit and explain to me after i calmed down what i did wrong and how i could prevent it next time. It never helped. Well it did, but it took years. Not only did i not understand people socially, i hated the feelings of a lot of things. I have a very high sensitivity to light, sound, and touch. The best example i can give of this, is when i was around the same age, i would fling myself against walls and scream if i was wearing something i didnt like. Such as wool or tight clothing. I also hated dresses and skirts because i didnt like the way the air felt. I didnt know how to react and i just wanted the clothes off of me. Id try to rip them off when the wall didnt help. This was the biggest clue for my mom about my then possible autism. One last clue, was subjects in school. I couldnt read. At all. I could BS my way through learning to write, but i could not read for the life of me. But math, my gods did i love math. I was learning it at the speed of light with the help of my mom and by myself using a calculator

Now, i said i was supposed to be diagnosed. I never really was. When my parents took me in for the test when i was younger, i passed/failed depending on how you think of it. I was 99% autistic. But the doc said he would not label/diagnose me as autistic for the simple fact i could look him in the eyes. Yep, even with all my seemingly autistic actions and emotions, he would not give me a diagnosis because i could look him in the eyes while we talked. To this day, my therapists do not understand why that would be the lone deciding factor of whether or not i was autistic

Before i started therapy, it was just me and my mom, really. My dad was there but could not help me as i was too frustrating to deal with when it came to school and homework. I finally started to understand reading in about 3rd grade. I was still very below where i was supposed to be with my reading level, so i was put into a special class with about 5 other kids in it. It was just for reading, and i went every day for an hour for about a year and a half. I was still awesome in math. I was teaching myself algebra and geometry between 2nd and 3rd grade because i liked the challenge. I didnt know what either were called way back then, my mom would give me small equations and would let me figure them out. By the start of high school, my math level was in the mid college math degree range. My reading level however, was still barely on par. I stopped my special reading classes in middle school, and was put in one for one semester in high school. Best reading class i ever had was the special one in high school. I wish they wouldve let me stay in it

I started therapy when i was 16, i think. It might have been 17. It helped me more than i thought it was. I learned to cope with my high anxiety and panic disorder. My therapist thens name was Shane. He was the first one to bring up possible aspergers since i was fiveish. My mom was excited that he thought so as well after a few months of talking with me. When i turned 18, i needed an adult therapist so i was given a new one. She brought it up as well once or twice, but i didnt see her often due to how far out she was from where i lived. Starting this year, i had/have a new therapist, his name is Micheal. He too thinks im on the spectrum and has offered to help me find someone to do a real diagnosis for me, but said it would cost a fair lot of money and time. I would like to get tested one day, but i dont think it would be any time soon

So yea, thats where im at on this journey XD I probly have a lot of stories i could tell, but im about to hit the hay for the night

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff