Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi :)

:D 1 100.0% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 7 ]
1 2 >

Beloved Inquisitor

Some girl in my history class today... Holy crap. emotion_facepalm

My teacher wanted us to have a discussion about the Sandy Hook massacre... So this girl took this as her opportunity to rant to the class about how Aspergers Syndrome is a dangerous disorder which makes mass murderers... Are you ******** kidding me? Apparently you know nothing about any of the autism spectrum disorders? They have nothing to do with having violent tendencies or just being violent in general. If anything they just make for really awkward people...

I wish people would just stop talking out their asses. Seriously, learn about a disorder before you preach about how everyone with it is a freak and will go on to kill people. Adam Lanza clearly had more than Aspergers...

Discuss... Anything pertaining to this topic.
While autism may not cause violence and anger, they often do go hand in hand. I've known plenty of kids who simply didn't understand that hitting someone wasn't a game and honestly didn't know their own strength. And their tantrums were a lot more severe than those of an 'average' child.
That being said, autism doesn't make you a sociopath. I have never met someone with autism or aspergers that had a bad bone in them.

Rainbow Smoker

There are plenty of kids on the autism spectrum that are violent/aggressive. My mom's an OT who specializes in autistic children/teens so I would know. She's been attacked plenty of times, usually when they're in the middle of a meltdown. She also had a former student that stalked her and was going to go to our house and kill her because he blamed her for ruining his life by diagnosing him when he was a kid. He was a high functioning Aspie. It's very possible he would have done it if his mom hadn't called the police. Later on he tried to kill himself. neutral

I haven't read much about this shooter guy but I'm just saying that it's definitely possible there was a correlation between his actions and his condition. It sounds like you've only been around a certain kind of autistic person. I've been around them since I was a little kid, and some of them are adorable while some of them scare the ******** out of me.

Smitten Wench

10,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Generous 100

I don't know very much about aspergers or other autism-spectrum disorders, except for what I learned when I lived with my son's father. He has a twenty two year old brother who is autistic. He doesn't speak, he lines his m&m's up to look like Brail, and has been known to be have violent outbursts. His violent outbursts were thought to be related to his stomach problems, so the dude has been eating miralax daily for the last ten years of his life but doesn't have outbursts as often. Though I do not think it's healthy to take miralax every single day (but this kids mother gives him macoroni and cheese, lets him eat the whole box and he's lactose intolerant...) so I think it's necessary to keep the cramps at bay. The dudes pretty big, and pretty powerful. When he does have fits, he's extremely dangerous.

I believe that people with certain autistic disorders are more likely to resort to violence, but I think that has more to do with the difficulty they have understanding things like pain, so react badly to it. In this case however, I don't think his diagnoses of aspergers had much to do with what happened at that school.

Fashionable Lunatic

â„œinny says: Even so, some have less understanding of what's okay and what isn't. I had a friend who has aspergers and she killed my gerbils on accident. Then she didn't understand why I was upset about it. I didn't know she got a hold of them so I couldn't stop her. She also gave her puppy wine because she thought it was funny that it would get drunk, then she wonders why it died. She also thought it was funny to make fun of my dead cat. I understand that she doesn't fully understand because of her "condition"
but I just can't tolerate that kind of thing very easily.

I don't blame the murders on aspergers but I'm sure it didn't help.

Savage Tactician

22,040 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
Mental illness doesn't mean that someone is violent. It's that simple.

If someone is violent, that may be an indicator of a mental illness.
Of 'course being a socially inept 'tard-bucket predisposes one towards flipping their s**t in social situations.

That's why there are segregated "special needs" classes, and they ride their own special little bus; to keep them away from the rest of us.

Beloved Inquisitor

Vintage Baby Deer
There are plenty of kids on the autism spectrum that are violent/aggressive. My mom's an OT who specializes in autistic children/teens so I would know. She's been attacked plenty of times, usually when they're in the middle of a meltdown. She also had a former student that was going to go to our house and kill her because he blamed her for ruining his life by diagnosing him when he was a kid. He was a high functioning Aspie. It's very possible he would have done it if his mom hadn't called the police. Later on he tried to kill himself. neutral

I haven't read much about this shooter guy but I'm just saying that it's definitely possible there was a correlation between his actions and his condition. It sounds like you've only been around a certain kind of autistic person. I've been around them since I was a little kid, and some of them are adorable while some of them scare the ******** out of me.

Yeah, but being violent/aggressive isn't a part of the condition. So saying all people with mild autism (Aspergers) are violent is just ridiculous...

Greedy Capitalist

Yes it does.

Beloved Inquisitor

Foxydoe
Of 'course being a socially inept 'tard-bucket predisposes one towards flipping their s**t in social situations.

That's why there are segregated "special needs" classes, and they ride their own special little bus; to keep them away from the rest of us.

Please be trolling... Please, you're better than this...

Socially inept tard-bucket? Are you ******** kidding me? It is called the autism spectrum for a reason b***h. neutral There are many levels and degrees of tard-bucketry' as you like to call it. emotion_facepalm

Most people with Aspergers are not in special needs classrooms either. You're confusing them with extremely autistic people... They don't ride the short bus and sit in their own classrooms for your benefit c**t, they do it to get a better education for themselves.

Beloved Inquisitor

Republican Gynecologist
Yes it does.

Care to elaborate? neutral

Rainbow Smoker

Reevva
Vintage Baby Deer
There are plenty of kids on the autism spectrum that are violent/aggressive. My mom's an OT who specializes in autistic children/teens so I would know. She's been attacked plenty of times, usually when they're in the middle of a meltdown. She also had a former student that was going to go to our house and kill her because he blamed her for ruining his life by diagnosing him when he was a kid. He was a high functioning Aspie. It's very possible he would have done it if his mom hadn't called the police. Later on he tried to kill himself. neutral

Yeah, but being violent/aggressive isn't a part of the condition. So saying all people with mild autism (Aspergers) are violent is just ridiculous...

You'd be surprised. Of course not all of them are, I wouldn't even say most of them are. But I think there's a correlation. And for some, it is part of the condition. Have you ever seen an autistic person have a meltdown?

Greedy Capitalist

Reevva
Republican Gynecologist
Yes it does.

Care to elaborate? neutral
My response does not necessarily mean they all do, but they are definitely more prone to lashing out. Gunmen that have committed massacres all have had or have shown symptoms of an underlying mental illness. This goes not just to those afflicted with aspergers, but with many other diseases as well.

Greedy Capitalist

Vintage Baby Deer
Reevva
Vintage Baby Deer

You'd be surprised. Of course not all of them are, I wouldn't even say most of them are. But I think there's a correlation. And for some, it is part of the condition. Have you ever seen an autistic person have a meltdown?
I've seen some pretty violent down-syndrome kids.

Hellraiser

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces