Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Reveler

It doesn't always mean that, but it sure can. Usually coffee is coffee, sometimes coffee is a thinly veiled sexual advance given by someone who doesn't want to use more direct language. As long as you can figure out which is which, you're golden.

I went for coffee with someone once, it turned out later on that they only had tea, but it was nice anyway.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
If I ask for coffee, I want a coffee. That's it. If I want sex, I'll ask for sex. cat_talk2hand There's really no hidden meaning behind what I say or do.

Bashful Bookworm

"lets grab / go out for coffee" isn't asking for sex. It's asking for coffee.
"Would you like to come in for some coffee" at the end of a date later in the evening often implies sex. It express the want to continue spending time with said date and most people wouldn't expect to drink or offer caffeine so late at night. Its just an excuse to spend more time, though they could always generalize it as a drink instead of coffee.

Though I'm sure there has been many awkward conversations where one thought coffee and one thought sex.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Depends on the people involved and the situation. Personally, I wouldn't make assumptions. I think it's not direct code for 'wanna bang?', but is just an excuse to make an intimate situation where you might. Or they just want to share a cup of coffee with you...or show off their new coffee maker, or get your opinion on some fancy a** coffee they bought. As I said, it really depends on the people and the situation.

Eloquent Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
... For some reason, everyone who asked me to grab a coffee with them proceeds to ask to meet them at Starbucks in 15 minutes. Either EVERY man and woman who wanted to meet me for coffee REALLY likes to bone in public places or the person who believes grab a coffee directly means sex also believes there is no such thing as rape. WORD GAMES!

Magical Tree

Oh.. You mean "Wanna come back to my place for coffee?" is an open invitation for sex?
Yeah. I've heard that. Sex is implied.. but not promised or offered. It's a way to get a girl to stay with you longer, in the hopes of persuading her to do more (because you're in a more intimate setting(that is in your own house)).

I was thinking about dabangs here. ... It's the underbelly of Korean society. They look like coffee shops (well, shady ones with blinds down and lights low) but they have "special service" and you can even get delivery.
I'm serious.
Delivery.
A girl will be dropped off at your place, and she will make you coffee/tea... whatever... and even wash the dishes after.
Stephnananana

"lets grab / go out for coffee" isn't asking for sex. It's asking for coffee.
"Would you like to come in for some coffee" at the end of a date later in the evening often implies sex. It express the want to continue spending time with said date and most people wouldn't expect to drink or offer caffeine so late at night. Its just an excuse to spend more time, though they could always generalize it as a drink instead of coffee.

Though I'm sure there has been many awkward conversations where one thought coffee and one thought sex.

Hahaha I was like that before.

"Want to come in for some... cofee?"
"Aw sweet I love coffee!"

And then I drank all her coffee and left, really buzzed.

Fashionable Shopper

Coffee means coffee when you go out and meet x for an informal date. It's informal like a lunch date. Asking someone inside after a date usually implies they may want more or want to see where things lead from there. Sometimes coffee is offered or it may be more general like a drink. While dating I simply asked whether he wanted to come in....

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
Coffee is just to chat and catch up. Going for drinks means sex.
i thought this thread was going to be about someone asking you to get them coffee. i was going to make a joke about how i was a moody teen and ran away for less.

i've met friends at coffee shops, but not for anything other than a drink.

Visionary

is this asking someone out to coffee or asking someone to come back to your place for coffee? The way you phrased "Does asking to come back for coffee means asking to ********?" is confusing.

but anyhow as far as I know you don't ask someone out to coffee to ******** them. typically that's the first stage in getting to know them. and I've never had someone ask me to come back to their place for coffee. so needless to say if that is the case, I don't really think it's widely known.

Friendly Conversationalist

7,950 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I've been told by girls that if a nice guy (like me) compliments them it's not creepy, they know I'm just being nice again. smile
If it's a jerk then they think you're asking for it. Yeah, "it." neutral
Yup. Its code. Though its probably best to just be blunt. But not to forward. Heh
I think it depends on the person, but it is better to be clear when people are asking. Is it coffee or a date to get coffee? There can be a weird subtle difference.

For example, I don't mind hanging out with people and getting to know them before maybe doing something but... I don't really drink coffee. So people asking me to go out for "coffee" would get a "No thank you, I prefer tea or hot chocolate response". But people need to be pretty blunt with me, I'm naïve.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff