Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am happy with my life because I know exactly what I want to go to school for. I am unhappy that I don't have a job, but I keep applying. Something good will come up for me.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Yes and no.
23 and nothing to show for it. However I know where I want to go to school now and what for. Something I couldn't even say last month.
However getting there is the difficult part with mixing school and work. If I can get grants and loans and scholarships to cover all school costs plus living costs then I'll love my life.

Timid Vampire

10,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Streaker 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User ImageI'll be twenty in two months and though I never thought I would be married at this age or even able to maintain a relationship.
I'm very happy with that aspect <3

I wish I had been able to leave the town I live in currently, though, since it's the buckle of the bible belt and I hate it here.
We're going to move. Eventually.

ravenna13
Nanami.x.Yuki
This is more aimed towards the 20-somethings. Are you guys happy with where what you have made of your life? Is it what you imagined?

I'm currently in college and I did not envision myself being where I am now. In highschool I was so confident and when I came to college I just fell down. I never knew what exactly I wanted to do with my life but I was simply confident I would be great...but I lost my motivation under the strain of having to pick a major and a specific career path and now I kinda dislike my major but it's too late to switch it w/o having to stay more than 4 years. I feel lost and like I'm setting myself up for failure but I'm trying to be pragmatic and stay where I am and pick a career that is practical. I am so scared of when I have to graduate in a year and face the real world.

I know exactly where you're coming from - I'm going to be graduating in a year as well, and it still seems surreal that I'll be out in the 'real world' in that short amount of time. I can say that I am very happy with where I am now, although how exactly I got to where I am today I wasn't expecting (went through a lot of s**t my first year at my college after I transferred, withdrew from the first quarter because of a super controlling/abusive relationship I was involved with, and ended up living back at home and doing my classes for the following 2 quarters) but I'm back on campus, with good professors, good roommates, and an awesome boyfriend now, and I know I'm a stronger person for having made it through all of that.

My advice to you would be this: don't panic about your degree! A degree is a degree, not a life-sentence to one career path/job. I'm at a wonderful art school now, and several of my classmates have transferred/are getting a new degree because they want a different job (some of them former computer-engineer majors now working on video games, lol). Do your best. If the 4-year limit is really hanging over your head (which it is for me too, because my mom said she'd help me out for my first 4 years of college, but after that I'd be on my own) then make the best of the major you're in now, network and make connections so that you can get a good job after you graduate, and you can always work on your actual passions in your down time, or persue them in getting another degree after you've worked a while in your current field. However, do not use the 'practical-ness' of your career as an excuse to not do something you enjoy. If I was really doing something completely 'practical' I would be working on an engineering degree - I'm great at math, and I enjoy science. However, I love and enjoy creating art, and now I'm working on getting a degree in Visual Effects, which lets me combine both.

Thinking of graduating is really scary, but you can do it! Remember, degree does not equal the end of your choices. It is only the beginning =)

Thanks for the kind reply! I'm really happy that everything is working out for you. The 4 year period is not necessarily a must but that is when the money for most of my scholarships will run out so I would like to finish.
I don't mean to make excuses but my biggest problem is that I don't really know what I like. But you have given me an idea--I think I may try to do random things until I find something I like? ^^
seal pup tirade
Nanami.x.Yuki
This is more aimed towards the 20-somethings. Are you guys happy with where what you have made of your life? Is it what you imagined?

I'm currently in college and I did not envision myself being where I am now. In highschool I was so confident and when I came to college I just fell down. I never knew what exactly I wanted to do with my life but I was simply confident I would be great...but I lost my motivation under the strain of having to pick a major and a specific career path and now I kinda dislike my major but it's too late to switch it w/o having to stay more than 4 years. I feel lost and like I'm setting myself up for failure but I'm trying to be pragmatic and stay where I am and pick a career that is practical. I am so scared of when I have to graduate in a year and face the real world.

keep at it so you can make money.
what was your major?

I am a Biological Sciences major with my concentration in Genetics---I want to go into the medical field. But I'm just not sure and the career options for my major are so narrow. crying

King Cutie-Pie

x
            Sometimes I wish that I did a little more or worked a little harder in school, but overall, yes, I'm very happy where I am right now.

Adored Admirer

Jars of Sand
I am happy with my life because I know exactly what I want to go to school for. I am unhappy that I don't have a job, but I keep applying. Something good will come up for me.

Good to see you're optimistic. 3nodding

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Err..I haven't really ended up anywhere but ask me in a couple of years, I'm sure I'll have an answer

Tricky Shapeshifter

12,200 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
On one hand, I am trying to do what I love. Which is writing fiction novels.

On the other hand, the only way I can support my family at all with my thin sheet of work experience and my lack of a vehicle is to give part of my social security to my mother so she can keep up the house and pay bills.

I could go to college and get an Teacher's degree, but I haven't been able to find an emotionally reason to go into college and go into dept with student loans for something I want to do. About the only thing I like to do is make candles.

Also I need to talk to a psychologist about my persistent disdain for my father. I am an adult and I shouldn't look at my father like he scraped s**t over my computer for his past actions.

So I wish it could be better, but it's looking mediocre right now.

Friendly Friend

Honestly, Im not sure if I'm happy with my life yet. My love life is great, yet my schooling hasn't been the best, and I hate my job.
I graduated 9th in my class from high school last year and was given so many opportunities to go to great schools. Instead, I was afraid to get too far away from school and was afraid of the debt I would end up in. I've never been 100% certain on a major but I am 100% sure I want a career in the medical career. I ended up in a community college and miserable. I plan to transfer to a different college in the fall though to get my BSN in nursing.
Now though, I have been really thinking things over and seriously considering joining the National Guard. My only fear is being deployed. It isn't too common for the National Guard to deploy overseas but it is always possible - at least that is what I've heard. But at least I would get to do the thing I love most - helping people in times of crisis and need.
I don't know… I'm so indecisive and just plain lost on how my life will turn out.
Nanami.x.Yuki

Thanks for the kind reply! I'm really happy that everything is working out for you. The 4 year period is not necessarily a must but that is when the money for most of my scholarships will run out so I would like to finish.
I don't mean to make excuses but my biggest problem is that I don't really know what I like. But you have given me an idea--I think I may try to do random things until I find something I like? ^^

Don't worry - it took me 3 years (two of them getting my Associate of Arts degree at a local college, and the first year at my current college) to actually figure out the name of what it was I wanted to do ^^; 3 changes of major later, I finally found mine. You'll get there - and doing random things until you find something you like is actually a pretty good idea, as long as you're continuing to move forward! I wish you the best of luck, and I know everything will work itself out in the end =)

Profitable Businesswoman

8,400 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I'm 25 and I'm pretty much where i wanted to be.
I wish I had finished highschool.
But i have my husband and kid. That is all I wanted out of life.

Tipsy Codger

Am I happy with my life? Where I am and where I've been and where I've come from?

No. Not so much.

I am 27. I've been employed since I was 15. I have nothing to show for that. I sort of want to go to school, but for what I have no idea. I don't think it would matter all that much if I did. I worry about that being a huge waste of time and money, putting forth effort to work in a field I probably wouldn't get into thanks to s**t economy and general lack of jobs. I'm living with my ex's parents and working for my ex's dad. I've never really been good at anything in particular as a profession, with possibly the exception of mindless grunt work general labor bullshit. Very little I do brings me any real lasting enjoyment, except for spending time with my now ex and riding my motorcycle.

Lately I've been a bit of a wreck and have had a problem with depression. I get so bad sometimes that I refuse to eat for about a day at a time, no matter how bad a headache I get from that.

Then I worry about if I'm going to be financially stable when I'm older, and then I realize I probably won't live to see old age.

But then, it could be worse, right? Kids are starving in Africa.

Enduring Phantom

That's why I planned ahead: People say that your calling in life is just going to fall into your lap one day. It doesn't. For me it took a lot of self discovery, revising, and editing to find what I really wanted to do.

Just two years ago I knew I wanted something involving archaeology, but the only thing I knew was that I didn't want to go into something that already hat a lot of work done in it, i.e. Egyptology or Classics. In those two years, however, I fell head over heels in love with Greco-Roman antiquity and couldn't live with myself if I didn't have a strong focus in Classics.

I suppose you could say things very well did change, and now I'm going into a field I never saw myself going into before, but...I honestly couldn't be happier. In Roman culture so far I've found a home away form home, a society that I would probably understand and get along with better than our own in many respects.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff