Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is more aimed towards the 20-somethings. Are you guys happy with where what you have made of your life? Is it what you imagined?

I'm currently in college and I did not envision myself being where I am now. In highschool I was so confident and when I came to college I just fell down. I never knew what exactly I wanted to do with my life but I was simply confident I would be great...but I lost my motivation under the strain of having to pick a major and a specific career path and now I kinda dislike my major but it's too late to switch it w/o having to stay more than 4 years. I feel lost and like I'm setting myself up for failure but I'm trying to be pragmatic and stay where I am and pick a career that is practical. I am so scared of when I have to graduate in a year and face the real world.
I'm turning 19 this month and I'm not happy with where I am in life at all. sad
I am reasonably happy with where I ended up, Going to a language school, married and living in Japan.
Nanami.x.Yuki
This is more aimed towards the 20-somethings. Are you guys happy with where what you have made of your life? Is it what you imagined?

I'm currently in college and I did not envision myself being where I am now. In highschool I was so confident and when I came to college I just fell down. I never knew what exactly I wanted to do with my life but I was simply confident I would be great...but I lost my motivation under the strain of having to pick a major and a specific career path and now I kinda dislike my major but it's too late to switch it w/o having to stay more than 4 years. I feel lost and like I'm setting myself up for failure but I'm trying to be pragmatic and stay where I am and pick a career that is practical. I am so scared of when I have to graduate in a year and face the real world.

I know exactly where you're coming from - I'm going to be graduating in a year as well, and it still seems surreal that I'll be out in the 'real world' in that short amount of time. I can say that I am very happy with where I am now, although how exactly I got to where I am today I wasn't expecting (went through a lot of s**t my first year at my college after I transferred, withdrew from the first quarter because of a super controlling/abusive relationship I was involved with, and ended up living back at home and doing my classes for the following 2 quarters) but I'm back on campus, with good professors, good roommates, and an awesome boyfriend now, and I know I'm a stronger person for having made it through all of that.

My advice to you would be this: don't panic about your degree! A degree is a degree, not a life-sentence to one career path/job. I'm at a wonderful art school now, and several of my classmates have transferred/are getting a new degree because they want a different job (some of them former computer-engineer majors now working on video games, lol). Do your best. If the 4-year limit is really hanging over your head (which it is for me too, because my mom said she'd help me out for my first 4 years of college, but after that I'd be on my own) then make the best of the major you're in now, network and make connections so that you can get a good job after you graduate, and you can always work on your actual passions in your down time, or persue them in getting another degree after you've worked a while in your current field. However, do not use the 'practical-ness' of your career as an excuse to not do something you enjoy. If I was really doing something completely 'practical' I would be working on an engineering degree - I'm great at math, and I enjoy science. However, I love and enjoy creating art, and now I'm working on getting a degree in Visual Effects, which lets me combine both.

Thinking of graduating is really scary, but you can do it! Remember, degree does not equal the end of your choices. It is only the beginning =)
Given what I had to work with, I'm doing excellent.
I have to say my high school self wouldn't believe or want to major what I'm actually majoring in.
I'm happy with it.
I'm 26 and fairly happy with how everything has turned out (won't be able to say for sure until March though). I'm married to my best friend, made it through college with a double major, and about to graduate from medical school. But there definitely have been things that happened that I'm not happy with. I just try to focus on the positive for now.

Greedy Receiver

• My family and I are doing fantastic and it can only continue going up from here.

Invisible Member

User ImageUser Image
Sometimes I think I'm in a dream, I'm so happy with where I am right now, but I'm worried that it wont stay this way much longer.
I enlisted in the military, and have been able to keep up with it so far, but medically it seems I'm unfit for this job. I don't know if I can tough it out much longer here, before they kick me out.
On another note, though, being in the military has made me see that schooling and being independent are really important. I didn't much care for either of those when I got out of high school in 2009. Now I actually want to do things myself, and go back to school. ♥
User ImageUser Image

Lonely Saint

I haven't ended up anywhere yet, ask me again in 20 years. Much too early to say anything at 22.
Plus, if this was as good as it gets, then roflmao and ******** life. I'm still fighting a crippling mental illness with no professional help and I refuse to believe it'll be forever.

Hilarious Prophet

Life would be simpler if I wasn't born.

Adorable Fisher

I'm happy with some aspects of my life, and highly disappointed with others. I did not choose to be chronically ill and unable to take care of myself at the age of 26. I should have been able to finish business school, I should have owned my own business for four years by now. Why did my liver have to fail in college, and why did they have to find this disease? Why do I have to have this disease?

Shameless Bloodsucker

career: I can't be the independent, career driven person I wanted to be. It's hard to get over that. Circumstances way beyond my control though, so I have to work on letting go and building the courage to go after my new dream. It's a tough one, but never give up, never surrender. I also have to learn to be at peace with the fact that I will always need support due to my health.

hobby: I am very passionate about my hobbies, and they keep me (relatively) sane.

family: Very happy, don't know what I'd do without them.

priya yume's Senpai

Dapper Phantom

14,025 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Conventioneer 300
I am 21 and i am ok with my life right now. Always try and do new things cuz the world is a big place!
I also had the same experience when i first went to collage; had no idea what i wanted to do with my life. I was lost on what to do so i took some courses that sounded interesting.A few semesters ago i took a film workshop course and i loved it so i took more class`s on it and now i am still taking more class`s and making films and now getting thousands of dollor`s each month. I so love what i do but i never imagined myself in film but i somehow ended in it. My friend changed her major after working on hers for 4 years so its NEVER to late to change if you really want to. You can do anything you want just try to do things YOU love to do not what makes the most money.Confucius said "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Tipsy Prophet

Ten years ago, he'll, even five! I'd say where I am now wasn't necessarily where I would want to be. I did not imagine myself with a kid and a career slump like this five years ago. I am content with where I am now, though. I love my son and husband very very much and find myself to be very lucky to have them. My job right now isn't a forever job, I don't think, but I enjoy it for now. I had hoped to be further along in my piercing career at this point, but a rocky start, situations beyond my control, and some poor choices have made it what it is. I'm working on that now, though, and am networking like crazy. Have already made some headway in that department and who knows, maybe in a year I'll be where I should have been two years ago. All good things come with time, hard work, and a little heartache. If this path were not as difficult as it is, I wouldn't be able to appreciate the fruits of my labor when it does come time to harvest.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff