Welcome to Gaia! ::

Google failed me, I can only find the adoption process for babies/newly born. I tried googling Adopting a teen, there are numbers, but I much rather know the process and how long it'd take before seriously thinking about it.

Anyone can link me any sites or tell me the processes/how long it takes and stuff?
I'm sorry, I don't know. I don't even want to know why you want to adopt a teenager in the first place. Being a teenager, I admit that I often can be annoying and hard-headed. So if you want to adopt a teenager, it'll be a lot harder to "train" them and get them to listen to you.
primaballerxina
I'm sorry, I don't know. I don't even want to know why you want to adopt a teenager in the first place. Being a teenager, I admit that I often can be annoying and hard-headed. So if you want to adopt a teenager, it'll be a lot harder to "train" them and get them to listen to you.

Well teenagers pretty much get abandoned in foster homes since everyone wants babies. If I adopted a teenager, say what, 15? I'd tell em the rules, (like do you can do your own thing but no stealing/drugs/etc.)

Basically I just want to try to help a kid that pretty much lost the lottery. If they a teenager, they'll be able to get on their two feet faster too, and I wont have to worry about diapers xp
I looked this up and found this.

Good Luck! I'm sorry I'm not much of help.
k well i'm not really sure where it would work b/c it depends on what country you are from. over here some foster parents are given the chance to adopt kids that they are taking care of. but if you weren't a foster parent already and just wanted to adopt one of them you would have to talk to child and family services... or whatever they call the people that run the foster homes wherever you live. and the adoption is pretty much the same for an older kid as it is for a younger kid/// baby... at least that's what my mum says...
It depends on the country and in the US is depends on the state as well. Policies are different each place you go.

For one good place to start, you can try asking a family doctor that deals with prenatal care because they usually know about that because people coming in ask them about adoptions. You can ask a pediatrician near you as well.

Another good place to start would be your phone book and/or looking online for adoption agencies near you or out of the country. I had a cousin who adopted a couple Russian kids. I don't know the process he went through though.

I hope that helped.
In my city there are homeless teens left right and center...

well, at least lots in shelters.

I guess you couldn't just ask a random kid if they want a home though...
there are millions of teens out there that would love to be adopted.

my mother is a social worker. and you must do all adoptions through your state.

go to your city/town's local social work office. its probably called DCFS divistion of child and family services or something along those lines.. or just CPS child protective cervices.

umm and pretty much from there. have a nice long sit down with them. make friends with your social workers and let them know why you're there.

first of all. your home must be acceptable. no big messes. it must be clean clean. you will have social workers come out to your house and see if you are fit to take care of a child. you must have a wage that is capable of taking good care of yourself and the child you adopt. and you may even be background checked.

pretty much you need to be a fit person. so they can feel comforatable in allowing you to adopt a child. you go through licensing and such. and then you start your lovely search. or if you already have someone in mind. keep in mind though... they MUST be orphans and be in foster care or a shelter of some sort. you cant go adopting some kid you feel bad for.

good luck. adoption is an amazing thing. and i hope things work out for you.

Lonely Consumer

20,300 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
As others have said, it depends on the countries involved. About 7 years ago my American family adopted a Russian 15 year old. It took them about a year from when the process started.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff