Welcome to Gaia! ::

Little Dead Soldier
Im not a hardcore feminist, like not even close. I dont really see a point of beating a dead horse. Women have equal rights and are not treated differently here in the USA. I actually dont see a point to continue movements (girls vs gamers, girls vs military,etc.) when there is no battle.
These women rights group need to help women in other countries more instead of finding something to complain about, because thats basically what they are becoming now.

I disagree, and the "women have the same rights" argument is one that really bothers me. Women may have a lot of the same rights men have, but women don't have the same privileges as men.

For example, if I were to walk down the street and get either physically or sexually assaulted, people will automatically try to figure out what I was wearing or how I was acting when it really shouldn't matter. What should matter is that someone did something terrible to me without my consent. Think it doesn't happen? Look at what is going on right now in the news. Famous women are being told they should not have taken nude pictures of themselves if they didn't want them to be shared, but you will hear next to nothing about the person who released them to the public. No one is calling that person out on what he (or she) did. To me, that is disgusting.

I'd also like to add that as a feminist myself, I strongly discourage "gender roles." I don't think men or women should be limited of what they can do with their own lives based on roles given to them by society. Little girls should not be made to play with "girl toys" if they would rather play with a Ninja Turtle action figure and little boys should not be made to play with "boy toys" if they have more fun dressing up a My Size Barbie doll. Women shouldn't feel ashamed of being physically strong and men should not feel too ashamed to cry or show any emotion when they are upset. I believe pressuring both genders to play these roles is damaging in the long run. Men who are raped will often not report it for fear of ridicule from both men or women, because they are made to believe that men are supposed to be strong and just enjoy sex that is given to them. It is also less likely that a woman will be arrested for domestic violence against a men, because of the belief that men should just be able to take a hit from a woman, because after all, women are weak flowers and men are supposed to be big and tough.
I will take this data and try to conjure up something.

Shy Fairy

19,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Timid 100
averykae

I like staying at home and love raising my daughter. I like cleaning and cooking and keeping house.
I love to throw small house parties with my family and friends and play 60s wife.
I don't want to go out and work and make money, my husband can do all that. He can be the bread winner and bring home the bacon.
I'm perfectly happy with this set up. And I don't understand why women don't?

A lot of modern feminists will most likely tell you that you aren't living to your full potential and how you must have a lot of internalized misogyny if you like to live that lifestyle.

I figure if it makes you happy and feel empowered raising your family and keeping house, then why not? Who are they to tell someone they shouldn't feel fulfilled doing something they enjoy? I thought feminists were all about feeling empowered and whatnot.

High-functioning Lunatic

I do believe its more of a 'people should be free to earn and do what the 'ruling norm' is against.'

I like doing many women hobbies, but I would also like to to earn that 22$ an hour like my coworker does, who has the same degree but less work experience but some how is being paid 2 dollars more than me. Is it because he can lift the printer paper box out of the cabinet?

I would like my brother and my possible sons to not feel restricted in creating what a gentleman is, to show doting loving gestures of endearment to someone they love without being ridiculed for being 'feminine'.

I would like to see more girls and developing females to know the joy of science and math, to be exposed to engineering toys or educational, mentally challenging toys etc at a young age, so that its part of them as they grow older and not feel like they are 'behind' in the subject, because all the boys in the room who are taking physics started started learning and researching on them when they got their first building toy. Like...what do you learn from a foot bath spa bead toy that costs you 40$ of your hard earned pay? Nothing.

I would love to no longer hear female characteristics being used as something derogatory or lesser. Because why is a 'd**k' less worst than a 'p***y'? Why is a 'slut/whore/ seductress/ she-devil' all connotated as something bad, when a 'casanova' is viewed as someone suave when he practically does the same thing?

And I would like to see people, especially males, free to enjoy the hobbies and activities that are mostly labeled for females and for females to enjoy activities and hobbies that are labeled exclusively male- and not be harassed for it.

For me feminism is defined as loosening the boundaries, so people can flow in and out of the binaries and other labels and not be ridiculed or be jilted of the benefits. Aka, being happy and comfortable with your likes, desires, emotions, and dreams, and have the freedom to pursue them. Without the fear of someone saying or thinking, "You can't do that because you're a ---"
Lydia_Shadowfire14
averykae

I like staying at home and love raising my daughter. I like cleaning and cooking and keeping house.
I love to throw small house parties with my family and friends and play 60s wife.
I don't want to go out and work and make money, my husband can do all that. He can be the bread winner and bring home the bacon.

A lot of modern feminists will most likely tell you that you aren't living to your full potential and how you must have a lot of internalized misogyny if you like to live that lifestyle.

I figure if it makes you happy and feel empowered raising your family and keeping house, then why not? Who are they to tell someone they shouldn't feel fulfilled doing something they enjoy? I thought feminists were all about feeling empowered and whatnot.

We are. emotion_eyebrow

High-functioning Lunatic

averykae

Some women like myself don't like this, because the routine you are describing, would bore us to death.

I like variety, and you take pride in your duties and see the benefits, kudos to you. I don't think you're anti feminist, because you've declare you like these duties and don't see why someone should redefine your likes and comfort zones.

To someone like me, my girlhood life had been confined to: 'be a girl, be quiet and elegant, don't speak unless spoken to, don't whistle, don't run, don't jump, don't build things, give your brother the best cuts of meat, don't get into arguments, don't be too strongly opinionated, be married by 16, have children-boys first by 18, you don't need an education. What's a high school degree for? You cant enter this sacred house of names, your period will sully the good names of the men of the family.' after many years of this, it turned to resentment and eventually a point of:

"LOL WHUT!? ******** THAT! I'll show you, I can be quiet or loud as I want, I can be elegant and sharp in this blazer, in this tie with a flower in my hair. I can do needlepoint and shoot an arrow. I can recite poetry, enjoy and dance to classical music and do science! And BAM! I graduated high school and college.

I'm 25 and I'm not even dating, I'm going straight into looking for a career that will carry my name higher than the most respected name in the House of Names! And my lady parts will bear child when I want to! And my lady parts are important too, they don't sully!

And see this expensive meat? I earned it, I bought it, I cooked it and I will eat the best parts WITH my brother, because I know he likes it best when he and I share good food.

And I will turn down every one of these 'arranged blind dates' auntie and great auntie are trying to make for me. Because the last guy who I went out with on this date, told me. "....I don't like these. I'd rather find a woman I like, myself and I would hope she is looking to find and like me too." And I told him, "tell your mom, 'no' next time she tries to hook you up."

Feminism to me is to get rid of the "Cannot do's and don't do's"

Feminism...has a different meaning for everyone.
Ta Lu
averykae

Some women like myself don't like this, because the routine you are describing, would bore us to death.

I like variety, and you take pride in your duties and see the benefits, kudos to you. I don't think you're anti feminist, because you've declare you like these duties and don't see why someone should redefine your likes and comfort zones.

To someone like me, my girlhood life had been confined to: 'be a girl, be quiet and elegant, don't speak unless spoken to, don't whistle, don't run, don't jump, don't build things, give your brother the best cuts of meat, don't get into arguments, don't be too strongly opinionated, be married by 16, have children-boys first by 18, you don't need an education. What's a high school degree for? You cant enter this sacred house of names, your period will sully the good names of the men of the family.' after many years of this, it turned to resentment and eventually a point of:

"LOL WHUT!? ******** THAT! I'll show you, I can be quiet or loud as I want, I can be elegant and sharp in this blazer, in this tie with a flower in my hair. I can do needlepoint and shoot an arrow. I can recite poetry, enjoy and dance to classical music and do science! And BAM! I graduated high school and college.

I'm 25 and I'm not even dating, I'm going straight into looking for a career that will carry my name higher than the most respected name in the House of Names! And my lady parts will bear child when I want to! And my lady parts are important too, they don't sully!

And see this expensive meat? I earned it, I bought it, I cooked it and I will eat the best parts WITH my brother, because I know he likes it best when he and I share good food.

And I will turn down every one of these 'arranged blind dates' auntie and great auntie are trying to make for me. Because the last guy who I went out with on this date, told me. "....I don't like these. I'd rather find a woman I like, myself and I would hope she is looking to find and like me too." And I told him, "tell your mom, 'no' next time she tries to hook you up."

I wish I could give you an award for this beautiful, beautiful post of yours.

Shy Fairy

19,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Timid 100
The Peppermint Bunny
Lydia_Shadowfire14
averykae

We are. emotion_eyebrow
I was referring to the feminists who feel the need to look down on someone or criticize them for choosing to live a more traditional lifestyle rather than encouraging them to live the life they please. I know not every feminist is going to be that way, but the extremists who feel the need to lecture or tear down another woman based on her choices sort of give a bad impression of what feminism is really supposed to be about.
Lydia_Shadowfire14
The Peppermint Bunny
Lydia_Shadowfire14
averykae

We are. emotion_eyebrow
I was referring to the feminists who feel the need to look down on someone or criticize them for choosing to live a more traditional lifestyle rather than encouraging them to live the life they please. I know not every feminist is going to be that way, but the extremists who feel the need to lecture or tear down another woman based on her choices sort of give a bad impression of what feminism is really supposed to be about.

I understand that and I know it's not your fault, but the generalizing annoys me.

High-functioning Lunatic

The Peppermint Bunny
Ta Lu
averykae

It sounds grand. But in reality I'm still working on the bigger achievement.

And, I've learned that all the restrictions and 'rules' hurt my brother too, in a way. Like people use to tell me not to run around and play tag or hide-and-seek, or play with his toys. That meant he would be playing by himself. Of course, having a little brother that kept saying "play with me? play with me pleeeeeeese, big sister!" made me stop listening to adults pretty early on, and got me doing my own thing. Not to mention, you're the older sister, you're suppose to take care of your brother and teach him things, what are you suppose to teach him if you can hang out with him? Everything would be "I don't know".

If anything the 'rebellious' and the 'unsettled' woman many of my family members call me, happened because of spite.

The Spite Train goes very, very far, WHOOWHOO!. Because you know...'women are spiteful'.

I also got my sarcasm because of those conservative family members. Some of them call me "foul mouthed". I'm very glad that I grew up in America, I had lots of 'individual' influence on me. biggrin

High-functioning Lunatic

The Peppermint Bunny
Lydia_Shadowfire14
The Peppermint Bunny
Lydia_Shadowfire14
averykae

We are. emotion_eyebrow

I understand that and I know it's not your fault, but the generalizing annoys me.

Its almost like Vegans right?

Some Vegans are chill and eat what they eat, and you treat dinner with them like you treat if you were having someone over with food allergies- you just don't make it.

But...some vegans make it their personal vendetta to tell the whole world why everyone should be vegan too, regardless of their dietary needs.
Ta Lu
The Peppermint Bunny
Ta Lu
averykae

It sounds grand. But in reality I'm still working on the bigger achievement.

And, I've learned that all the restrictions and 'rules' hurt my brother too, in a way. Like people use to tell me not to run around and play tag or hide-and-seek, or play with his toys. That meant he would be playing by himself. Of course, having a little brother that kept saying "play with me? play with me pleeeeeeese, big sister!" made me stop listening to adults pretty early on, and got me doing my own thing. Not to mention, you're the older sister, you're suppose to take care of your brother and teach him things, what are you suppose to teach him if you can hang out with him? Everything would be "I don't know".

If anything the 'rebellious' and the 'unsettled' woman many of my family members call me, happened because of spite.

The Spite Train goes very, very far, WHOOWHOO!. Because you know...'women are spiteful'.

I also got my sarcasm because of those conservative family members. Some of them call me "foul mouthed". I'm very glad that I grew up in America, I had lots of 'individual' influence on me. biggrin

Haha, sounds like my older brother. A few family members laughed at him because we saw an old home video of him looking as if he was playing with one of my Barbies. In reality, he was putting its shoe back on its foot, because I was crying that I couldn't keep the shoe on (sometimes those cute little shoes just didn't want to stay on the dolls's feet). He was trying to find a way to put it back on and have it stay on. He was being an awesome older brother in my opinion.
Ta Lu
The Peppermint Bunny
Lydia_Shadowfire14
The Peppermint Bunny
Lydia_Shadowfire14
averykae

We are. emotion_eyebrow

Its almost like Vegans right?

Some Vegans are chill and eat what they eat, and you treat dinner with them like you treat if you were having someone over with food allergies- you just don't make it.

But...some vegans make it their personal vendetta to tell the whole world why everyone should be vegan too, regardless of their dietary needs.

That's actually a good comparison. Another example of a vocal minority over shadowing the calm majority. sad

Shy Fairy

19,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Timid 100
The Peppermint Bunny
Lydia_Shadowfire14
The Peppermint Bunny
Lydia_Shadowfire14
averykae

We are. emotion_eyebrow

Unfortunately, with all the media attention feminism has been getting lately, mostly about the extremists, the generalizing seems more and more like it'll end up continuing. I kind of feel like the controversy around them is setting feminism back rather than helping it progress because now it gives people the idea feminists are a bunch of screeching man-haters who want women to be on a pedestal and are refusing to take the people who are fighting for equality seriously.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff