Welcome to Gaia! ::

I go to many anime conventions just for the fun. I honestly haven't seen a good anime in years. Maybe its the "Narutard" and "Dethnote" Trend or maybe I've just grown up.

I see these kids who attempt to speak Japanese and who carry around "Yaoi" Paddles and it makes me wonder. Are we mocking Japanese culture and completely bashing it for what it really is?

I have people who truly try to get into Japanese culture. They take actual language classes. They don't Google "Japanese terms" after they watch three hours of anime at 5:30 in the morning.

So when does a hobby turn into an unhealthy obsession both for the person and culture they're attempting to fit into?
It becomes abnormal and unhealthy when it sisrupts their lifestyle.

I personally enjoy anime. I look at the some of the fad anime and disect the characters a bit. If I were you, I would go back and look at some of the anime you used to watch when you were a kid and rewatch them as if it were the first time you ever saw it. Try and find deeper meanings and all that sort of stuff you would have over looked when you were younger.
I would if I could find it.

In my original post I should've used "Disrespect" Sorry. Had a brain fart. >< I sound so little saying that.
razz I don't know, the kids with their Yaoi paddles and their signs saying "will glomp 4 food" never bothered me as much as most people. I certainly wouldn't hold one, but their are worse things than eating too much candy and shouting "Kawaii! Yata yata!" in a crowded convention hall while wearing a catscratch hat and a Naruto T-shirt.
I really adore the con scene. smile Ever since I got into college I've been going to whatever lengths I can to get to more conventions, and I've grown kinda fond of the middle-school-fangirls. They make a good backdrop to more serious "mature" fandom. smile
It bothers me because they don't even attempt to understand that there's life outside of Inuyasha in Japan.

I love cons as well but man, it miffs me some days.
Mystic Toad
razz I don't know, the kids with their Yaoi paddles and their signs saying "will glomp 4 food" never bothered me as much as most people. I certainly wouldn't hold one, but their are worse things than eating too much candy and shouting "Kawaii! Yata yata!" in a crowded convention hall while wearing a catscratch hat and a Naruto T-shirt.
I really adore the con scene. smile Ever since I got into college I've been going to whatever lengths I can to get to more conventions, and I've grown kinda fond of the middle-school-fangirls. They make a good backdrop to more serious "mature" fandom. smile

lol... I want to go into a convention dressed up as an anime character... It would be fun... And I so want to actually have a decent discusion instead of fan girls screaming "I want SasUKE rape Naruto XD"
Gaara_Baby_Eater
lol... I want to go into a convention dressed up as an anime character... It would be fun... And I so want to actually have a decent discusion instead of fan girls screaming "I want SasUKE rape Naruto XD"

I think you can have both. I mean, if nothing else, at least the fangirls have passion. I can't blame them too much for not getting into real Japanese culture, because real Japanese culture is turning into fake American culture. So, we might as well keep it even. ^^; Good Anime doesn't need a cultural backdrop. Revolutionary Girl Utena is a great drama because it is a great drama. Naruto is a half decent action soap-opera because it's a half decent action soap opera. Japan is just a place the happens to make a lot of quality cartoons. So, I think it's good to have passion for this stuff weather or not you take Japan too seriously, because that's what you're supposed to do with good cartoons.
Now, Yaoi con is a place where you get a good mix of fangirling and maturity. It's 18+, and there are real inteligent people there, but you also get Naruto and Sasuke making out in the halls. razz People really respond to that stuff. wink
Father Latour
I think you can have both. I mean, if nothing else, at least the fangirls have passion. I can't blame them too much for not getting into real Japanese culture, because real Japanese culture is turning into fake American culture. So, we might as well keep it even. ^^; Good Anime doesn't need a cultural backdrop. Revolutionary Girl Utena is a great drama because it is a great drama. Naruto is a half decent action soap-opera because it's a half decent action soap opera. Japan is just a place the happens to make a lot of quality cartoons. So, I think it's good to have passion for this stuff weather or not you take Japan too seriously, because that's what you're supposed to do with good cartoons.
Now, Yaoi con is a place where you get a good mix of fangirling and maturity. It's 18+, and there are real inteligent people there, but you also get Naruto and Sasuke making out in the halls. razz People really respond to that stuff. wink
Hey, I was at Yaoi con this last year. razz You're talking about the wedding? That was hot, I tell you. wink

2,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
there are a lot of these people out there. the only thing you can do is find others like you that truely respect the culture and want to learn all they can about it. i have a friend whos really interested in the culture and is learning to speak japaneses and plans to move there who doesnt follow all of this. people like this are rare but their out there.
The extremest of anime fans are the reason I've stopped Animax and started to pick up on American dramas on YouTube.
I'm thinking it's because they're so attacted to it and can't find another hobby. I was so close to getting myself into that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff