Welcome to Gaia! ::

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I know a woman who was drinking heavily and smoking pot regularly through her pregnancy. The child was born and looks healthy. He was sent home with mommy and daddy after a day or so. I had always assumed those substances caused complications and problems. Right now the kid just seems to get sick easily but it doesn't seem like there's any major health issues. Is it true that things like ADHD don't necessarily show up immediately at birth but can manifest themselves after a few years?

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
madatthebullys
This is a troll
Are you ********?

Rainbow Lover

The child could possibly go through withdrawal symptoms once they're born which can kill them. If that doesn't happen they're predisposed to other illness which like you said won't be obvious right away.

edit: troll calling a legit thread a troll thread. Oh the irony

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
madatthebullys
Genkai taught me well
madatthebullys
This is a troll
Are you ********] The evidence is really pilling up.
Ignored. emotion_awesome

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
HomebrewFox
The child could possibly go through withdrawal symptoms once they're born which can kill them. If that doesn't happen they're predisposed to other illness which like you said won't be obvious right away.

Her logic with the weed is that since it's "natural" it wouldn't harm the child.

Blessed Codger

Genkai taught me well
HomebrewFox

Her logic with the weed is that since it's "natural" it wouldn't harm the child.

Raw chicken and animal droppings are also natural, but I don't imagine she consumed them during her pregnancy...

Unfortunately, the potential damage is done and all her loved ones can do is be there for her in the likely event that major issues develop later. sad

Magical Seeker

3,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Once the kid is old enough to go to school - s**t will hit the fan.

Rainbow Lover

Genkai taught me well
HomebrewFox

Weed will stunt development. It's pretty selfish to put your baby in danger because you can't stop drugs. Even if it's just weed maybe treatment would be a good idea.

Kitten

Birth defects aren't always something that you can physically see. So I think it's pretty naive to say the kid is healthy just because he looks it. If I were the parents I would be taking the child to a doctor to find out for a fact if they are actually healthy. If they care anyway.

If the kid has some form of autism he's going to need parents that will be willing to educate themselves on what their childs life is going to be like and will be able to support him. If not then they probably need to find someone who will be able to give him a good life.

Lucky Star

Weed has not been proven to do any harm if used lightly throughout pregnancy.
None. At all.
Some people say it can cause problems with trouble focusing and stuff like that, but really how many kids these days are diagnosed add and adhd just cause they're kids and doctors are prescription happy?
YOU DO NOT HAVE WITHDRAWALS FROM MARIJUANA USE, it's not like crack or heroin, and is not addictive at all in that sense.
But it probably shouldn't be used heavily and only from legit sources and only for issues such as extreme "morning" sickness

***disclaimer, I stopped using drugs before my first son was even thought of***

Now alcohol use, is a big no, because babies can have withdrawal, just as any alcoholic would. And there's high risk of fetal alcohol syndrome which can manifest as a variety of disabilities.
But many obgyns do not forbid a glass of red wine occasionally during the 2nd and 3rd trimester
My friend's mom did all kinds of crap. friend is extremely chronically ill, her organs had to be kinda sorta, moved into the correct place, and she is just sick all the time, every day, constantly having surgeries and treatments. Her sisters are psychotic maniacs.

Drugs are bad m'kay?
I wonder how I would've turned out had I been born to someone who'd actually wanted me.

My birth mother did drugs (not marijuana) & I'm told when I was born I was unresponsive, & they thought I was blind 'cause my eyes wouldn't focus or follow movement. They tell me I just snapped out of it one day & started reacting to things like normal; the woman who adopted me says it was a miracle, heh. My kidneys were ******** up too, had to have surgery to fix 'em. That I do remember, unpleasant s**t.

I think the heavier s**t has a higher chance of just killing you outright, but weed & alcohol are both depressants. It won't show in a newborn, but once they start to develop, fetal alcohol syndrome kids have pretty distinct features:
User Image
And they develop slower. They're much slower at picking up/retaining information.

That baby might appear to be "fine" right now, but it's developmentally ********.

Tipsy Smoker

Mister George Kapland
I summon thee.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out