Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey fellow Canadians,

I was just wondering, what are our traditions? In my German class we were talking about traditional German foods and clothes and when she asked the Canadians in the class we couldn't really think of anything that everyone could agree on.

So What's your Canadian traditions?
User Imagei am not canandian!!!! woot woot!
Well, Quebec has Poutine...

Honestly, Canada is an exception to the whole "traditional whatever" idea - as a colony, New France was subject to the fashion and culture of France. When the British acquired the Colony in 1763, it was then subject to their fashion and culture.

Traditional clothes don't exist, really. I don't see people wearing 18th century garb to la St-Jean. Which is unfortunate because that would be awesome.
Well... We have the "police-montée" (policeman on the horse dressed in red)

It's true, we do not really have all of the big traditions here... I'm trying to think about something but... lulz I can't find...

I'm from Quebec so I can tell about some traditionnal food except poutine xD
Pâté-chinois, tourtière and blueberry pie xD
We ride polar bears to school! mrgreen

Friendly Gaian

Caeleste
Well, Quebec has Poutine...

Honestly, Canada is an exception to the whole "traditional whatever" idea - as a colony, New France was subject to the fashion and culture of France. When the British acquired the Colony in 1763, it was then subject to their fashion and culture.

Traditional clothes don't exist, really. I don't see people wearing 18th century garb to la St-Jean. Which is unfortunate because that would be awesome.

Canada has PoutineD: I only lived in Quebec for 2 weeks, but I had had it way before thenD:
I live in the USA now, and I would have to say I miss:
Milk in a bag
Loons
People who find it morally wrong to litter
Lack of daily racism(I have never heard a racist thing in Canada, but maybe it was just where I lived)
Naked News
Drinking age
OPP's
Forests
Water being cleaned before put in the tap (soft water)
Being able to leave without locking my door
Never seeing anyone who owned a gun that was not for hunting, but in case someone robbed their home
Tim Horton's
Harvey's
Clear lake water
Lay's Ketchup Chips
Flakies
Smarties(In America, "Rockets" are called smarties....it is terribly gross)
etc etc. But I think America has some of these things, just not where I am
i know how to say canada in sign

burn
I'm not Canadian, but wouldn't the popularity of hockey be a bit of a Canadian tradition. Not that other places don't like hockey, but as someone who isn't Canadian, when I think of things related to Canada, hockey definitely comes up.

You guys also have your own Thanksgiving as well.

3,200 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
I have yet to experience or learn or any Canadian traditions. We are a country made up of traditions brought from immigrants. As a whole we are to young to have any of our own. Hockey would certainly qualify for a tradition status. I don't know if pooh-tin would? Maybe our tradition is that we are made of a wide verity of traditions from across the world. Which have been brought here from early settlers, and immigrants. I know that First Nations have many traditions, nut most Canadians to not recognize them as national traditions.

6,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I guess hockey, but otherwise, I don't think we really have any as a nation because of how multicultural we are. Technically any traditions that the Aboriginals have would be our traditions, but as most Canadians do not consider them to be traditions, they won't count here. I mean, how much knowledge does the average Canadian have of Aboriginal culture? Not much.

OG Noob

i dont know any in saskatchewan(i live their) i wish i knew um hockey
Due to the large size of Canada, both geographically and and the number of Canadians (over 30 million of us!), there are very few distinct Canadian traditions that are consistent across all of Canada. We are known for our vast ethnic diversity, so perhaps you could call that a trait of Canada.

Canada is known for it's natural beauty though, which varies considerably across the country. We have everything from mountains, prairies, coastal beaches and bays, large urban cities, and lots of forests with a variety of animals living in each habitat. And don't forget the snow. Some parts of Canada get snow year round, where others get it for only a month or two.
I'm from Quebec, so I'd say that our tradition is to keep the suicide rate up as much as possible being something like the 2nd or 1st province with a high suicide rate. OH and abortions. >< Alas, a lot happens on St. Jean de Baptiste day...party...fireworks....hell, I live here and I don't even celebrate that day XD.

What I DO love it the poutine~ That's cheese fries and gravy for those who is wondering. XD We have milk IN A BAG =O
squrialgurl
i dont know any in Saskatchewan(i live there) i wish i knew um hockey
WHOOT. Saskatchewan! I live in the same province. I know how to play; and ref a game. ^^ Canada is made up of everyone elses. Thats what we are known for anyways. Its good and bad because we dont know Canadas identity... its everyone and their national background...
Canada is so diverse that we really don't have a certain tradition. =o The only thing I can think of is poutine and hockey. =p

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff