Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Tree

All of those foods cause your brain to release happy chemicals. High fat and high sugar foods do this.

It's not surprising that A.) people with poorly regulated brain chemicals are craving foods that give them a quick (albeit temporary) fix. B.) These foods are now "linked" to depressed people. C.) Poor nutritional choices go hand in hand with depression.

I think it's a cyclical thing, and I wouldn't say that people who eat these foods will become depressed.

It's lifestyle and lacking chemicals and minerals that can lead to this cyclical problem.

Poor food choices are only one factor in a large complex interconnected web of things that contribute to depression.

So don't let a little sugar or fast food worry you. (but DO go out for exercise. all the good chemicals from that can easily win over the heavy food)
correlation =/= causation.
yeah i doubt it

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I eat refined grains and fast food all the time and I'm more or less normal
this... isn't really new lmao. fast food and soft drinks make you release endorphins, that's why people who are depressed eat sugary s**t or fast food. it makes you feel good and is a quick "fix".
and you shouldn't be eating those foods in excess so ya.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Try to stop me from eating fast food and drinking soda, and I'll give you a reason to be depressed real fast.

Anxious Cat

I can agree with this from personal experience. I read somewhere that eating refined grains wrecks havoc on the productions of chemicals and bacteria and the intestine which can in turn inhibit the production of chemicals like serotonin see this link here, and this link as well.

I had already cut out fast food for the most part a couple of months ago and drank diet cola instead. Two weeks ago I took the next step and cut out all refined grains period. The biggest change I've noticed so far is that I don't need to take power naps during the day anymore like I use to, and since I'm eating way more veggies, fruits, nuts, dairy and meat now, it takes way less food than it use to to fill me up. My calorie intake has gone from being 2500 to 1400 per day now.

It's also been said that when you eat refined grains that it's as bad as a chocolate bar. You get a rush, it hits the blood stream way too quick and because there's an excessive amount of energy it gets stored in your body as fat, making your blood sugar levels drop and feeling lethargic. Eating proteins and high fiber keeps the energy super consistent in your blood.

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
madatthebullys
no, my day is so much better if i can have a McDonalds soda. fast food is good to but can't eat it to much.

Why does Coke from a McDonald's fountain taste so much better than the rest?
DeviCatx
I can agree with this from personal experience. I read somewhere that eating refined grains wrecks havoc on the productions of chemicals and bacteria and the intestine which can in turn inhibit the production of chemicals like serotonin see this link here, and this link as well.

I had already cut out fast food for the most part a couple of months ago and drank diet cola instead. Two weeks ago I took the next step and cut out all refined grains period. The biggest change I've noticed so far is that I don't need to take power naps during the day anymore like I use to, and since I'm eating way more veggies, fruits, nuts, dairy and meat now, it takes way less food than it use to to fill me up. My calorie intake has gone from being 2500 to 1400 per day now.

It's also been said that when you eat refined grains that it's as bad as a chocolate bar. You get a rush, it hits the blood stream way too quick and because there's an excessive amount of energy it gets stored in your body as fat, making your blood sugar levels drop and feeling lethargic. Eating proteins and high fiber keeps the energy super consistent in your blood.

Those links didn't work for me. But yeah. That makes sense. but sounds mostly like you're just talking about it from a health standpoint. I am already aware that you those foods make me lack energy. But it does make sense that can be a contributing factor to lead to depression. like some have already said.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff