Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I'm finally getting my first wisdom tooth extraction. I have a question for some people here about the recovery process.

I'm getting one tooth removed. It's already grown in for the most part, but it's pressing up against the tooth next to it and causing a lot of pain, so it's getting a basic extraction I guess? The dentist didn't discuss much with me or his assistant, he just said extraction and sent me along my way, so I'm just going to assume it's going to be a simple pull.

I hear a mix of recover stories and I guess this varies per person and per procedure as some are more strenuous than others.

My extraction is scheduled for May 6, and the problem I have is that that is the week of my birthday, and that weekend I was planning on going to visit my boyfriend who lives a few hours away. I've been looking forward to that weekend for awhile now and I couldn't schedule the appointment any other day because it interfered with my class and work schedule.

I'm wondering if I should just plan for potential recovery and reschedule my visit, or if I should go ahead and stick with my plans. The appointment is on the 6th and I was planning on leaving the 9th.

I'm sure I'll be okay to an extent, I'm just worried about being a burden and having certain limitation while visiting, like what I can eat.

Any opinions and stories are appreciated.

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
It's painful and then sore for a while afterwards so you'll want to take some kind of pain medication afterwards. I had all my wisdom teeth removed at one time without any anesthesia and couldn't eat solid food for maybe a couple of days. I was on pain meds for a few days afterwards too and also they made me dizzy and drowsy, plus swelling from the extraction. I tried to answer the phone and fell down because of being dizzy. So do be aware of any side affects from drugs. It was disruptive but not too bad, it was about like being sick for a few days.
apiyo
It's painful and then sore for a while afterwards so you'll want to take some kind of pain medication afterwards. I had all my wisdom teeth removed at one time without any anesthesia and couldn't eat solid food for maybe a couple of days. I was on pain meds for a few days afterwards too and also they made me dizzy and drowsy, plus swelling from the extraction. I tried to answer the phone and fell down because of being dizzy. So do be aware of any side affects from drugs. It was disruptive but not too bad, it was about like being sick for a few days.

Yeah I know having the surgery or having all 4 removed can be hell. Just kind of curious how it'll be just for one tooth.
Wee Little
apiyo

Yeah I know having the surgery or having all 4 removed can be hell. Just kind of curious how it'll be just for one tooth.

One can be pretty painful since it's your first time. But when I had all four of mine pulled (at a very young age and I literally kicked the dentist for it... ******** stuck the numbness on the wrong side!) I find that strong pain meds and just having some jello was helpful. (Not too cold like ice cream and not enough for you to have to chew) I'm sure by the time your birthday is around the pain will be minimal next to barely there if you keep up with the pain meds smile So enjoy the birthday!~

Dapper Shapeshifter

I think if it's just a basic pull you should be okay. I had all four taken out. 2 were already up and just had to be pulled out and 2 had to be surgically removed. 3 days later, only one surgically removed one was giving me trouble, the other 3 were perfectly fine. Just had to stick to pudding and pain meds for a while. So I wasn't up and about because of the one tooth, but I think I would have been if it wasn't for that.

I'd see how you're feeling later that day before you make your choice, though.

Dapper Dabbler

I had two of my wisdom teeth surgically extracted last month. I thought it was going to be awful. The first day was the worst but I was eating solid food the next day no problem. If it is not even a surgical extraction, it should be perfectly fine because there should not be any extraction sites to have to worry too much about keeping clean and the pain goes away pretty quickly.

It does all depend on the person and the situation of course but I would say you will be fine by your scheduled date.

Romantic Nerd

15,325 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Magical Girl 50
I got two wisdom teeth taken out two years ago. It wasn't too bad at all. They basically gave me some basic rules to follow which I did to the letter so I wouldn't have to worry about any pain. Also they gave me some medication encase I needed it. Here are some things for you to know that you can follow to make it as easy as possible

1. No soda or fizzy drinks until you go for your follow-up appointment
2. Do not drink out of a straw either until your follow-up because if you do you will cause yourself to get dry sockets which from what I heard is very painful thankfully I followed this one as well
3. Make sure to have chocolate milk & fruit juice to drink while you recover so you can have some yummy things to enjoy.
4. Also make sure to have mashed potatoes, french fries, Popsicles, pudding any flavor you want & jello. Also soup would be another good choice as well
5. Make sure every night to gargle with salt water so you can get the food particles taken care off and it helps you to heal as well.
6. Make sure to ask for some pain medication so you will have something to help you if you need it.
7. The last thing is when you go for your follow-up someone will take you back and use a plastic syringe to clean the hole in your mouth. It is normal to feel a little bit of pain because food particles can sometimes get trapped in there so don't fret if there is a little bit of blood after you spit. Also they will tell you to use the syringe after you eat to keep the hole clean and taken care of. Hope this helps.
From what I personally know, there are two different types of extractions. If your wisdom teeth have crowned (raised above the surface) and are need of removal, they first numb the area. I am not sure when in history has getting a shot in the gum ever felt good. Some doctors may even give you a feel good gas to help. Then the dentist cracks the tooth, which you will feel, but not in a painful way. Then they take out the fragments of the tooth. My mother's best friend is a dentist and he told me about this option when my friend was about to get his taken out. He said he was sore, and he had a headache. However, he returned to work pretty quickly.

For me on the other hand. I got mine removed around the time I was 16. I had gotten my braces finally removed and decided to have them pulled so they wouldn't jack my teeth up later (I have a small mouth). Mine were impacted (under the gums). For my procedure, I walked in and sat down in the chair. An anesthesiologist came in and hooked up an IV in my arm, to sedate me. Then they put a gas mask over my face and told me to count back from 10. I remember saying 10, that's it. I was out like a rock. They numbed my mouth, and cut into my gums and pulled the teeth out. Then they stitched me up.

I woke up a little while later, with a bunch of gauze in my mouth, which was still tingly and numb. My doctor had waken me up to quickly and I started having a panic attack. He had to put me back under and go for round 2.They told me I needed to eat. I tried eating a shake and mac n cheese (something soft). Couldn't do it and just started throwing up for the rest of the day. Sorry, about the graphic image. I felt like I got hit by a truck. I actually had some bruising as well. I was in recovery for over a week, and it took almost two weeks for me to be back to normal. I had random numbed spots for days.

In the end, from what my dentist has told me and a lot of my friends, having a wisdom tooth that has crowned makes life easier for removal. It's just a shot, crack, pull, and there you go. Most are back to work in 2 to 3 days. Some sooner - like my older brother.

Pain killers help, but watch out on taking medications with blood thinners like Ibuprofen. Oh, and I try to eat something even if you don't feel like it. Stock up on soft stuffs!

I hope you have a great birthday hun & good luck! heart
I'd say that for one tooth, you'll be fine with pain meds and soft food. No major reason to alter your plans. I was ready to go back to work the day after I got two of mine removed and they were inside my gums. Alternating your vicodin with ibuprofen will also help to reduce the effects of the stronger pain meds.
I got mine taken out in 2009, all four. They were still in the gums. My mom said she felt like she just sat down when they were done with me. My mouth was numb and I had cotton in my mouth to stop the bleeding. I wasn't in any pain though, but I still had pain meds just in case. I remember only having to eat soft foods for maybe two-three days, can't say for sure since it was so long ago.

Demonic Regular

7,150 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Bookworm 100
Honestly, I was OUT for the full day after getting my three wisdom teeth taken out, and I started working again on my third recovery day. Mind, I probably shouldn't have been working, but it wasn't horrible.

My best friend was pretty much down and out for a week and a half. It really does depends on the person.

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
The pain depends on your tooth. If it's out of the gum and straight, it will not hurt a bit during or after.

I had 4 wisdom teeth, all out of gum and straight, I had local anesthesia, which is numbing the mouth while I'm awake and pulling the teeth out still awake. I only had 1 Ibuprofen because I thought I would be in pain. I was wrong. I needed absolutely no pain medications, and didn't feel a thing but pressure during the teeth being pulled. Stick with your plans, go get them pulled. After a week you should be healing up nicely but be cautious they're not completely healed yet.

All in all, getting my teeth pulled was the best $1000 of my life. The pain before was so bad I stayed up for hours upon hours crying from pain, and I even over dosed on pain medications because nothing was helping the pain.
you might be okay for the 9th. maybe a little swollen.

i had all four out at once and was miserable/high as a kite for the week following, but i don't think just one would be too bad..

Quotable Sex Symbol

6,025 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I've had wisdom teeth taken out one at a time. It's not so bad, you'll be sore for a few days and maybe your cheek will be a little swollen but it should start to heal pretty quickly. Not sure what kind of dentist moonlight_peach12 went to, I've never heard a dentist say not to drink fizzy drinks or use a straw until a follow up appointment, I never had any follow ups. But I'm pretty much a pro at this by now so here are the rules:

1. When they pack the gauze in after they remove the tooth, keep biting pressure on it for 40 minutes to an hour. If it is still bleeding more than just a little oozing bite down on more gauze for 20 minutes, repeat with new gauze as necessary. You shouldn't need to change gauze more than twice but if you need to do it continually the first day that's fine nothing to be scared of.

2.Absolutely no smoking, drinking from a straw, rinsing, or spitting for at least 24 hours. The suction of any of these things could cause you to lose your clot and develop dry socket, which I've heard is horrible. They say you can brush your teeth the same day but with the no rinsing rule I never did and haven't had a problem. Just remember that when you do brush your teeth, avoid the extraction area.

3. After 24 hours they will tell you to start rinsing with salt water (usually 1/4 tsp or 1/2 tsp, your dentist will tell you which) every 4ish hours and especially after you eat. Be gentle while rinsing, don't try and swish too much. For the first two or three days I would try to avoid spitting the salt water out with too much force. I normally rinse with salt water for a whole week.

4. No hot or cold beverages or food for at least the first 24 hours.

5. No carbonated drinks or alcohol for the first two or three days.

6. For at least the first 24 hours you should sleep with your head propped up on pillows. As long as your head is higher up than your feet you should be fine.

7. No bending over for the first few days. Especially the first 24 hours because that can cause your clot to dislodge. After dentists say it's okay but I've learned that it creates this weird pressurized suction feeling and I think it is safer to err on the side of caution.

8. Keep to eating soft foods the first day, never chew on the side the extraction was done on. I got a tooth out over a month ago and I'm still chewing on the other side.

A clot should only take about 24 hours to form. It is advisable to follow all of these rules for at least two or three days just to be on the safe side. In the event of your clot dislodging stuff a dampened tea bag in the extraction site like you would with gauze, bite down and call your dentist. You shouldn't have too much of a problem healing and I think you'll be able to enjoy your birthday just fine!

Super Cyclops

Had one of me wisdom teeth pulled and it was a sinch. Got a shot in me gums and tooth was just pulled no problem (I worried cos it was cracked but it went okay), nothing complicated. And it was ugly as hell wink . Didn't hurt later or anything, just didn't eat with "that side" for the day, and healed nicely. In fact I was surprised it went this easy.

Got one more that I need pulled but it grows sideways towards the neighbouring tooth somehow and isn't entirely out so that'd be a tad more complicated but I can't get around to it. Doesn't hurt or anything (tho I tend to get food stuck in there) so no rush I guess...

BTW, I'm 34 and have just 3 wisdom teeth (though the 3rd one isn't really comming out, just cut me gum and that's it), no sign of the 4th even considering coming out. Is it just me or does anyone else's take their time too?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff