Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jazin Kay
ManicShadow
I've only held one job in my life and that was a summer job where I sold Cutco knives.
Well, here's 2 problems right here. No job experience, and experience with Cutco; many good employers don't even consider Cutco as experience anymore.

Well, that bums me out emo

How am I supposed to get job experience, with no job?
Non-profit organizations can provide you with job experience. Meanwhile, you can be a temp as well.

Working at a non-profit and temping for a few months would be very good job experience, while giving you something to stay out of the house for. Also: start your own bank account and when you get payed you should immediately put your money there. Do not tell your family how much you make, and if you do, lie about it. (Smaller than you actually do make or say that it's going completely toward other things).

If you have friends who live in apartments, you can ask them if you can move in with them. Ask to sleep on the couch or sleep in a room with one of them if they'd be open to having a bunk bed. It makes their cost of rent cheaper, you to have your own home away from your family, and puts more distance between you and the danger that you'll be hoodwinked again by them.

After half a year, I would suggest applying for other jobs as well. Part time or full time doesn't really matter; if you really need more hours, then find a 2nd job. [is working 2 jobs right now herself]

It should be easier, since you've been saving up, to go to college the next year after your major life change. You should alert the college that you have problems/uncertainties in being able to pay your tuition all at once, and I think that they'll work with you on that. Pay as much as you can, and try to get a grant or scholarship (since you are an independent and do not make enough money to survive and go to school on your own). Do not get more loans. It is perfectly acceptable to take 3 classes instead of the 4 or 5 that you've planned on taking. It is, instead, an opportunity to work more hours either on paid work or homework from school.
When applying for jobs be open minded, consider getting a job that requires manual labour or something challenging other than a retail job. Also if you need more work experience volunteer at a local animal shelter or hospital, it looks the best. Do not just hand in a resume if you are serious about getting a job, accompany a cover letter.

Interesting Regular

7,250 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
ManicShadow
scream

So, basically I'm 25 years old. I've only held one job in my life and that was a summer job where I sold Cutco knives. I've been to college twice and had to drop out twice because my parents lied to me twice about paying my tuition. Now I'm about $40,000+ in debt, and I only have one more year to defer my student loans. I want to go back to school, but I have no money to do so. I've applied for jobs non-stop for that last two years and I've been completely unable to find anything, or anyone who wants to hire me. I'm at the end of my rope. And to top it off my mom treats me like I'm a failure, when 75% of my situation is her fault.

What the ******** can I do?!

Try Temp services. Temporary agencies will ALWAYS find you a job, and different jobs, and sometimes depending on where you work the different places you work for will actually hire you full time employee. Just turn in a resume and call them up, there are plenty of them out there and you normally get paid the same day you work. Good luck. There are options.
ManicShadow
scream

So, basically I'm 25 years old. I've only held one job in my life and that was a summer job where I sold Cutco knives. I've been to college twice and had to drop out twice because my parents lied to me twice about paying my tuition. Now I'm about $40,000+ in debt, and I only have one more year to defer my student loans. I want to go back to school, but I have no money to do so. I've applied for jobs non-stop for that last two years and I've been completely unable to find anything, or anyone who wants to hire me. I'm at the end of my rope. And to top it off my mom treats me like I'm a failure, when 75% of my situation is her fault.

What the ******** can I do?!

Out of curiosity, what have you been doing for the past 7 years or so?

Is Job Corps an option? Are there other job-finding aids in your area, especially from state or city government?

The only other option I can think of would be to find a volunteer organization to work at for six months. Then you'll have some recent work experience, you'll have a couple of professional references, and you may meet someone through volunteering who's able to get you a better job. It won't get you a job, but it'll increase your chances of getting one.
Pegathia
There are loads of people finding it hard to find employment, employers are just being ultra picky with who they pick. Just keep your head high and eventually someone will employ you, good luck with your situation.

The economy is bad, so a lot of recent grads are applying for retail and serving jobs, which usually go to students or people without college or high school diplomas. Almost all my friends who graduated from college are working retail right now, myself included. The economy just sucks.

Go into stores in person and ask the manager if they're hiring. I had zero retail experience until I got my current job a few weeks ago, and I got all of two hit backs on about a million applications I had submitted online. As soon as I started asking in person, I got much better responses because they were able to see I was a friendly and personable individual who could easily interact with customers. It helped me to make a good impression, so they could put a name with a face when my application came across their desk.

Other than that, just be persistent. Keep apply, keep asking. I know it sucks, but it's just what you gotta do.
You're just unfortunately in a shitty situation right now. You have next to no experience, no degree, no certifications. My best advice at this point would be to apply EVERYWHERE even if if's 20 miles away and part time. As long as you can get there when you're supposed to and you'll be making enough money to make the commute worth it. Call up friends who have jobs, ask if they know of anything open and if they'll put a good word in for you. Once you have a job, in your downtime (especially if it's just a part time job) check out volunteer opportunities in your area to help boost your resume so you can get a better job. Make sure your resume is well-written and free of any spelling or grammatical errors. Make sure your objective and cover letter are specific to the position you're applying for.

Good luck!

Questionable Poster

little aishi chan
ManicShadow
The Color of Death Spiral
maybe the people you're applying to for jobs pick up on the fact that you're a whiny person with a misplaced sense of entitlement and a lack of personal responsibility? sad

I doubt it. Also, reported for trolling.

User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You might want to delete that reported part, because you can be reported I think for spamming or something. I don't know, I just know you;'re not suppose to tell someone you are reporting them.

But anyways! You can go to a community college and have your fasa pay for it. Where I go the fasa has certain certificate programs they pay for and with a certificate you can get a nice paying job.

As for looking for a job now, have you tried snag-a-job.com? That is where employers advertise new job positions. Maybe one of the reason you aren't getting hired or interviews is because you might not have enough experience. Jobs are easier to get if you know someone working for a company because they can put in a word for you and that alone gives you advantage over people who simply have more experience because you have a connection in the workplace.

It falls under harassment I think...but yeah, snagajob.com has done wonders for me and has gotten me some positive results.
Suck it up and apply to part-time/seasonal places like Target, Walmart, McDonalds, Chipotle, Dollar Stores... anywhere until you can find something better. Get some freakin experience! Apply like crazy, go to interviews looking appropriate, and trust me... someone will hire you for things like that. You gotta start at the bottom of the food chain first, hon.
maybe u live in the united states and the last three presidents dug a hole for u?

Salyana's Wife

Loving Lover

What does your cover letters/resumes look like?
How far can you commute?
Who is under your references on job applications?
Where are you applying and are these places that are for sure hiring?

Blessed Gawker

5,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
I'm also having a hard time finding a job. Technically the economy is bad and everyone is having a hard time finding a job. One of my friends just graduated college and for the past 5 months she's applied to lots of jobs and heard nothing. Its a hard time and also when people hire they want someone who's available at any time, I know this because one of the reasons I can't find a job is due to college classes and an internship which takes up most of my time.

Shameless Exhibitionist

10,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Personally, were I in your position I would walk into a McDonald's, preferably on one of their career days, and start working. They actually pay a good wage follow government enforced policies for breaks, overtime and holidays - and they'll give you in income while putting experience on your resume. Could you do better than McDonald's? Probably. But at this point you're 7 years without working and swimming in debt. I'd just bite the bullet and do it.

I've had to do this before. It's not fun. But sometimes it's necessary.

Playful Kitten

Think outside the box, for your resume.

Okay, so you haven't had a job. Have you done any volunteer work? You can list that as experience. Have you done any private jobs that you could get references from.

24 and only 1 job is leaving a really bad impression.

You seem like you already have, but if I would aim low. People are deterred by your age + lack of experience (the combination looks bad because they simply don't know your story, and wont take the time to learn it). Flip burgers, bus tables.. anything. You should also include a cover letter HIGHLIGHTING the college education you have received, and explain that you'd like to go back and finish. That will catch employer's attention, and explain the resume gaps.

The debts coming up is a big concern. I think if I was in your shoes I would immediately look into volunteer work to at least build my resume up, while still keeping an eye out for a paying job. (anything, fast food, shopping centers, etc. anything.)
It helps alot to know someone working for a company. And when you apply, you need to keep calling back day to day to see if they have looked over your resume. annoy them, show them you really want it. And if calling alot fails, go in person

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff