Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eternal Archenemy

14,125 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
I've been feeling lonely quite a lot recently.
All of my friends say they want me around, but they all seem to have someone else they'd rather hang around with. I constantly feel like a superfluous wheel.

Aside from that, everyone my age seems to be pairing up and starting lives together.
I'm 24. I feel like maybe I should be looking for a significant other at this point, but I don't even know how I would start doing that.

How does one meet new people without social anxiety getting in the way?
I know what you mean, by feeling like the unnecessary wheel. It sucks, frankly. If people want me around at this point in my life, I think I'll just let them come to me.

You shouldn't feel pressured or stressed about finding your significant other by a certain age or deadline. That's just ridiculous. Really, there is no right or wrong time for you to do what you want to do. Especially finding that right person. Personally, I feel as if my 20's are the years where I start to make something out of myself and chase my dreams and goals like crazy. So, a relationship is the furthest thing from my mind.

If you just want to meet new people, there are steps you can take to overcome your anxiety. You can try exercising more often if you don't already do so. Moderate exercise has been proven to help many patients with anxiety or stress related problems. Running in particular can remedy anxiety. Also, consider searching up some breathing exercises. Doing a few of those when you're starting to feel your anxiety creep up, can really help you out in a pinch.

You can easily meet new people by joining a club, a volunteer group, or just changing up some of your hang out spots. Really, it's up to you how you want to go about it.

Friendly Gaian

7,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
I'm 24, and was sort of in the same boat that you are. I was always the friend my friends could call if they needed help and I would be right there. I only did it because it was the right thing to do, and to not expect anything in return. I consider myself 'too' independent, I never put myself in a situation I don't want to be in or a predicament I can't get out of on my own, unlike my friends, so rarely do I have to call upon anyone.

There have been many times where I have felt lonely and hopeless; seeing that all my friends are either married or have a significant other and I was always the third wheel. :c

Then I realized what my needs were, and looked at which areas I needed to work on in my personal life to make the necessary adjustments I needed to make myself look and feel better about being me. Everybody has their time, and their moments, and their dreams. Just breathe, and everything will eventually fall into place. Usually when you stop looking, is when what you were looking for finds you. Make the most of moments like these, we should all get to dance inside of everything we used to be sorry for.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
I feel like this everyday.

My family all say they want me around but do I actually feel worthy? No, it does the opposite. I avoid them and I told them and they don't get it but whatever.

Don't worry about looking for your significant other. Just let that person come to you, let time play here.
There's going to gyms and working it, joining clubs (always join the ones that pique your interest!), and going out places and doing up small talk.^ ^

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
Go out to places that peek your interest.

If you like anime, there are always plenty of clubs around that also share that interest. Same with tons of other things.

If you like to drink, there are always bars, and clubs as well.

Different stores even host things, like I know of a few gaming stores, here, that host tournaments, and what-not.

But you have to actively go out looking. If you let your social anxiety get in the way, then you will just stay in this situation. You need to push yourself to get out there, and make friends/meet people. They won't know you exist, unless you make yourself known.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff