Welcome to Gaia! ::

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I'm having a dilemma...
I'm 24 and my gf is 22.
But me and her really love dressing up for Halloween. But we, and me personally, are terrible around social situations. I get seriously freaked out, and we don't know anyone here really. We don't act like normal adults around here. We don't drink, well, sometimes she does. But I don't drink at all.
So I want to go out and trick or treat, not because I really want candy, but because we want to do something for Halloween.
We don't really have any kids to take so we figured we'd go out by ourselves.
Because our neighborhood is actually kind of dangerous we were going to go to my mom's, and I have a lot of bladder problems so I need to be somewhere near a house I can go into.
But my mom told me she was going to lock us out of the house if we even thought about doing it...
So I'm not sure what to do.
We both look really young.
I mean, not young like children but teenagers. No one's gonna know how old we are...
edit:
I don't feel like responding to half of the people in this thread.
But this is the situation now, and this is how it is going to be, and no amount of replies from here on out are going to matter, because we have already made our decision.
Any of the people telling me to go to parties, or the mall, or etc etc; that doesn't work for us at all. It doesn't appeal to any of us. It has nothing to do with 'growing up' or being an 'adult'.
And there are no Halloween events here, other than maybe, idk, going to a ******** bar, which we do not want to do.
People telling me to hand out candy:
Not gonna work, because while my mom's house may be close to where we are going to, to trick or treat, no one ever COMES there. No one ever comes to my dad's, either. It's several blocks away where I plan to go.
Halloween is only acceptable here if you're A. handing out candy, B. trick or treating, or C. getting drunk, and the first 2 don't work.
Also, I have one friend in this town. One. My gf has none. And we don't have any money to throw party. We don't even like partying. We have two couches and a tiny upstairs apartment. That just doesn't work.
The thing about it being a social thing? The thing is, I'm there for only a few minutes at each people's house. So I can just leave, unlike the mall, or etc, and go on.
The reasons I don't respond to half of you is because I don't feel like arguing.
I'm not disregarding it. I'm just not gonna do it.
But I have thought about the UNICEF thing...
Anyway I talked to my mom
She still doesn't like it and she's still ridiculously controlling
But tbh, I have a key, and a pocket! Oh glory. She's not going to call the cops on me, and even if she does, how long do you think it's gonna take me to pee and get out?
And you think the cops are really gonna care enough to stay there in case I come back?
And you may think this is disrespectful but to be honest, I don't really care, because I'm not really paying attention to this thread anymore or answering anymore responses.
And it's really not any of your business anymore
Because we've already decided what we are doing
And we're still going to do it.
So, have a good day, LI.
My sister made me join her doing this into my twenties. I wanted to stop around my teens. I finally told my mom to tell her no a couple of years ago. I don't want to stop celebrating Halloween, so I've been looking for something else to do. You could always celebrate it differently too. You could host a costume party if you want, even if it's only you and her. You could tell ghost stories, make various types of pies or desserts, play Halloween themed charades, watch Halloween themed movies (which don't all have to be scary adult horror films), or whatever you want to do. You can make it a special date day with her too. wink

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Jaenie
My sister made me join her doing this into my twenties. I wanted to stop around my teens. I finally told my mom to tell her no a couple of years ago. I don't want to stop celebrating Halloween, so I've been looking for something else to do. You could always celebrate it differently too. You could host a costume party if you want, even if it's only you and her. You could tell ghost stories, make various types of pies or desserts, play Halloween themed charades, watch Halloween themed movies (which don't all have to be scary adult horror films), or whatever you want to do. You can make it a special date day with her too. wink

But we can't really host a costume party because we don't know anyone, and I'm terrible with strangers, and this isn't my house ):
I mean we WANT to go trick or treating
but is it really so bad if we do?
The thing is we want to dress up and go out in our costumes because it's just useless if you get into costume and sit around and no one sees all your hard work you put into it
Misha Collinz
Jaenie

But we can't really host a costume party because we don't know anyone, and I'm terrible with strangers, and this isn't my house ):
I mean we WANT to go trick or treating
but is it really so bad if we do?
The thing is we want to dress up and go out in our costumes because it's just useless if you get into costume and sit around and no one sees all your hard work you put into it

You will be seeing each other. Maybe take a picture and show family members? You could treat it as a Halloween themed date night. It's not horrible if you do decide to go, but you don't have to.

Tipsy Hunter

Is there no way at all possible you can attend a costume party? Do you have coworkers or friends, or even acquaintances that might have a party? Any clubs in your city that are throwing a party? Or maybe a party thrown by the community center in your area?

Trick or treating at your age isn't so terrible, but it's going to be seen as pretty weird and creepy by most of the parents/adults. People are most likely gonna be able to tell how old you are. Since you said it's not about getting candy, but more about the costumes, why not try and find a costume party? Or maybe an event you can participate in, like a haunted house or something. They're really not that hard to come across, most Halloween costume stores have advertisements for local parties and events. If nothing else, do either of you have a niece/cousin or a family friend with a kid that you could take trick or treating with you?
Get creative with some new ideas then! Either you have a huge halloween party with friends or family, or you can make a makeshift halloween haunted house for the younger kids!

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Atomic Bride
Is there no way at all possible you can attend a costume party? Do you have coworkers or friends, or even acquaintances that might have a party? Any clubs in your city that are throwing a party? Or maybe a party thrown by the community center in your area?

Trick or treating at your age isn't so terrible, but it's going to be seen as pretty weird and creepy by most of the parents/adults. People are most likely gonna be able to tell how old you are. Since you said it's not about getting candy, but more about the costumes, why not try and find a costume party? Or maybe an event you can participate in, like a haunted house or something. They're really not that hard to come across, most Halloween costume stores have advertisements for local parties and events. If nothing else, do either of you have a niece/cousin or a family friend with a kid that you could take trick or treating with you?

Like I said, I know no one. I don't have a job because I'm really disabled.
My problem with parties is I have schizotypal. I can't handle being around people for too long that I haven't known for a long time.
We would like to take a kid out but we're not sure if we can find one. We know like, three. And the problem with that is, because I am really disabled, I have to stop and sit a lot, and I know how little kids are. So impatient and not ever wanting to stop...

Widow

Tipsy Dog

Why do you need to ask this? It seems already have an answer in mind anyway. You don't want to listen to us. You're way too old. Trick or treating is for children. People buy candy specifically to pass out to children, it's like stealing candy from babies. What the ********.

Bashful Bookworm

Theres nothing wrong with going trick or treating at that age, people will be more stingy on the candy though.
To pull it off you need to have a really well done costume. If you don't put any time into it they're going to think it's just for the free candy, and they'll snuff you and give you attitude. (not all houses, but enough to be noticeable).

If you can't go trick or treating in a safe area of town and be near somewhere with a washroom for your bladder, don't go.
Curing a little bit of boredom is not worth putting your or your girlfriends life in danger.

Dapper Gaian

1,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Timid 100
  • Full closet 200
Kuroko and the Lamb
Why do you need to ask this? It seems already have an answer in mind anyway. You don't want to listen to us. You're way too old. Trick or treating is for children. People buy candy specifically to pass out to children, it's like stealing candy from babies. What the ********]

^This, kinda.

See, you're stuck, you want to go out and dress up for the sake of "somebody to see you" if you just wanted to dress up, you could do that without trick or treating, but you don't want the social-ness of talking to people. So basically, the equivalent of a selfie or tumblr post.

Why don't you just deck out your moms house in a super sick halloween-ish way and scare children instead of taking candy from them.

Part of being in your twenties comes with responsibility trade offs, sorry.
No you can't go trick or treating.
Yes, you can go to a super market on Nov 1st and buy more candy than a child could dream of, with no one to stop you.

See? Trades.
No, you can't go trick or treating, but why not go with a niece/nephew/cousin/family friend/toddler kid/orphan community.

Stop being uncreative.

Here's what you can do.
Go buy some candy of your own. Find really well done Halloween houses.
Knock on their doors, and give them candy.
Tell them, "This is a thank you for making Halloween great! It helps make the community stronger, and creates a great atmosphere of fun for the kids."
95% Same procedure, except everyone feels great.

Feral Autobiographer

I personally am 24 and I wouldn't go trick or treating. However I would dress up in something amazing and go out to dinner with my hubby! Hooters is our Halloween favorite. The girls at our local one are a blast and super sweet. I love going out to the mall and dinner and wherever we go that day all dressed up.

You could also volunteer to take younger cousins or siblings trick or treating. There are loads of options that other people have supplied. I'm sure you guys will think of something. Also not all kids are impatient. When I was a kid I had to go at the pace of the slowest adult I was with. That was just the way the cookie crumbled. I still had a blast even when my grandma would take me.

Irregular Gatekeeper

22,965 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Headstrong Believer 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
I really like ShadowSkies' suggestions. As an alternative is to go to the mall dressed up that way you can show off your costumes and buy candy or window shop, etc. Cashiers may give you candy just because your costume is so great.
Go be a real adult and do other stuff? Halloween isnt about getting the candy and you already know that you dont look that young. You are both in your 20s and likely LOOK like you are at least in your older teens, which people already start getting out of it.

Grow the ******** up. You seem to really have an issue on this point overall.

Dangerous Friend

19,400 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
If you're asking if it's okay to trick or treat in your 20s, I think it's okay c: As long as effort is put in it and you don't come across as candy moochers. One Halloween there was this one boy, looked early teens, he threw on a cowboy hat and that was his costume :l He didn't even put on a good personally or character to at least sell the "costume." So yeah, I'm happy giving candy to nice costumes, it doesn't have to be expensive, just as long as you put some thought in it. I would if I had anyone who would do it with me. If you two are nervous about it because people might think your "old" then what you can do is take a UICEF trick or treat donation box http://schools.trickortreatforunicef.org/ ask for small change and they'll give you candy too as "extra" wink
Or you could try the mall or a library, ours hold Halloween parties for people to attend. Being the mall and library there aren't any rowdy people or alcohol so it usually a safe place to hang.

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Trainer Aurora Rain
I really like ShadowSkies' suggestions. As an alternative is to go to the mall dressed up that way you can show off your costumes and buy candy or window shop, etc. Cashiers may give you candy just because your costume is so great.

Can't go to the mall, unfortunately. It's MILES away and the only place my gf knows how to drive is this city.
She doesn't even know how to drive in the city. She just knows how to get to certain places.
The other problem with that is my gf's going to have a glassgow mouth and I'm going to be covered in blood and black goo and other weird s**t
Halloween is the only chance I get to cosplay because I'm too scared to go to cons.
I was supposed to cosplay at another place but other people showed up there and I chickened out.
At least with trick or treating I'm not forced to stay with people in a situation I can't get out of where I'll probably be stared at for being dressed like that, even if it is Halloween. It's at least acceptable to look like that going around the streets, and maybe the halloween parties, but I'm in a whitetrash town and I know no one. And I have serious problems with parties, and so does my gf if she doesn't know anyone, which she won't.
It's a really judgemental town full of whores and douchebags that look at you weird if you're dressed weird where you're not supposed to be.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff