Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I had three wisdom teeth (all I had) and a fused baby tooth A baby tooth that fused to my jaw bone as I had no adult tooth to push it out. taken out last Thursday. So it's been a week and one day since.

I just got done brushing my teeth (gently) and sat done at the computer when I felt something like string in my mouth - the baby tooth that was taken out was my premolar, or the tooth behind the canines on my bottom jaw, has stitches to keep my gums close were there would be a rather large hole. Now there was already a long end of a knot of stitches that I could feel before - and see. I believe that knot has come undone as now the piece of stitch is quite longer.

What exactly should I do? I can't make it to the dentist this weekend, at least not till Monday or Tuesday and I know my mouth can't be healed yet, but I don't want to risk getting that longer stitch caught on food or on another tooth and it getting pulled (thought: OW!) and I don't want to try to cut it by myself as I'm not good doing the whole scissors + mirror + face/mouth deal.
I was told these stitches would just dissolve over time, oh and it's not bleeding or hurting like it did right after surgery, but from time to time it still hurts, though I attribute that to my other teeth starting to move to fill in it's spot.

EDIT:Oh hell, the piece of stitch and the knot just came out. gonk

Now with pictures. Of just the stitch, so I can gross you out. Sorry for the quality, it's my cell's camera.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Trite~Elegy
So I had three wisdom teeth (all I had) and a fused baby tooth A baby tooth that fused to my jaw bone as I had no adult tooth to push it out. taken out last Thursday. So it's been a week and one day since.

I just got done brushing my teeth (gently) and sat done at the computer when I felt something like string in my mouth - the baby tooth that was taken out was my premolar, or the tooth behind the canines on my bottom jaw, has stitches to keep my gums close were there would be a rather large hole. Now there was already a long end of a knot of stitches that I could feel before - and see. I believe that knot has come undone as now the piece of stitch is quite longer.

What exactly should I do? I can't make it to the dentist this weekend, at least not till Monday or Tuesday and I know my mouth can't be healed yet, but I don't want to risk getting that longer stitch caught on food or on another tooth and it getting pulled (thought: OW!) and I don't want to try to cut it by myself as I'm not good doing the whole scissors + mirror + face/mouth deal.
I was told these stitches would just dissolve over time, oh and it's not bleeding or hurting like it did right after surgery, but from time to time it still hurts, though I attribute that to my other teeth starting to move to fill in it's spot.

EDIT:Oh hell, the piece of stitch and the knot just came out. gonk

Well, I'm not sure what to do, due to the fact I didn't have any taken out. But the best thing I would do, is talk to your parents and see what they can do. If they don't know, then if you have medical insurance, then I would go see a doctor. Maybe search it online?
Is it bleeding at all?
Because if it isn't, I don't think that's really a problem. When I had my wisdom teeth out, the stitches started to come out on their own after a week or two, so I'm pretty sure what's happening to you is normal. n.n
When stitches dissolve, they don't completely disappear. So I think the part that was under the skin, in your gums, dissolved, and the part that fell out just didn't. Same thing that happened to me.
Check with your dentist as soon as you can if you're still worried, though.
Mushroom II
Is it bleeding at all?
Because if it isn't, I don't think that's really a problem. When I had my wisdom teeth out, the stitches started to come out on their own after a week or two, so I'm pretty sure what's happening to you is normal. n.n
When stitches dissolve, they don't completely disappear. So I think the part that was under the skin, in your gums, dissolved, and the part that fell out just didn't. Same thing that happened to me.
Check with your dentist as soon as you can if you're still worried, though.

Okay. I was a bit scared there for a minute that I had done something wrong and caused it to fall out. I was told that it takes about 3 weeks for actual tissue to fill the hole, and I'm terrified of developing dry socket. sweatdrop
Several of my friends as well as myself have had our wisdom teeth out and no one has had a problem.
As long as you follow the directions your dentist gave you properly, you won't get a dry socket, so try not to worry. [:
Sounds like your healing gums just forced the knot out. It's common with a lot of stitched wounds like that; as the skin heals it pushes out the obstruction (Similar concept with piercings getting forced out by the body). As long as it's not bleeding, I wouldn't worry.

1,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
its fine mine did that

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items