Welcome to Gaia! ::

I never had issues making friends in the past until I got into my first relationship with my ex-boyfriend.

I have become so socially awkward beyond repair, I can't make friends in real life and even online, it's difficult.

My new boyfriend makes fun of my coping mechanisms such as going on web forums like this one or EP.

I feel ashamed to be me. I feel so lame, like such a freaking* loser. What should I do?

Divine Sage

Eczema
I never had issues making friends in the past until I got into my first relationship with my ex-boyfriend.

I have become so socially awkward beyond repair, I can't make friends in real life and even online, it's difficult.

My new boyfriend makes fun of my coping mechanisms such as going on web forums like this one or EP.

I feel ashamed to be me. I feel so lame, like such a freaking* loser. What should I do?

Looks like your ex gave you some emotional scars. Perhaps you should get to the roots of those experiences.

That aside, socially awkward how? Are you sure you are not just being silly and prejudice against yourself?
Eczema

OK step 1: You need to have a serious talk with your current boyfriend. Tell him what he's doing when he makes fun of you is not OK and makes you feel awful, and if he cares about you at all he'll try to help you rather than hurt you, as he's only making the problem worse with his current behavior. If he laughs, shrugs it off, or refuses to stop, LEAVE HIM immediately.
Step 2: Depending on the outcome of your attempt to talk to him, stop dating for a while - a long while. If you have low self-confidence, it'll make you easy prey for abusive relationships, making things continually worse and well...we don't want to know where that might lead. You need to work on building yourself up and gaining confidence in yourself. Start small, make a couple friends, learn when people's behavior towards you is not OK.

I'm not sure what your ex did to you but it must have been really bad. You might want to consider getting some professional help, too. You're never beyond repair, and you're not lame, so don't tell yourself that, lest it become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Lastly, if you need friends, don't be afraid to message people here, including myself. Online is a relatively safe place, just remember though - if messages turn manipulative or mean, stop talking to that person.

Timid Star

11,075 Points
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100
Your current bf sounds pretty toxic. If you don't want to leave him suddenly, at least sit down and talk to him first about how his mocking makes you feel, and why you cope in the ways you do. If he doesn't respect how you have to cope with things that upset, you he's not worth staying with.

You're not a loser. Lots of people have issues socializing with others, including myself. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with you, but if you feel like you have a problem you'd like to fix, there's always therapy. Talk to a professional who can give you tips on how to deal with social anxiety and hopefully one day you'll get better at making friends and talking to people. However, if you don't feel like anything is wrong, you could just be introverted, and that's fine. Not everyone benefits from having a lot of friends and socializing all the time. You'll just have to put yourself in situations that make you feel more comfortable, like maybe small get-togethers.

Clocksys's Princess

Fanatical Partygoer

11,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
If your current boyfriend is making fun of you on how you cope with things. That isn't a really ideal BF.

It sounds like you self esteem issues from your past ex (?)
Don't ever be ashamed of yourself, just get "you" time. Do things you love to do, or find something you enjoy to do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff