Welcome to Gaia! ::

Forthe remainder of my highschool education (1 year)
I'm not worried about losing connection with my fRiends and I know I'm fully capable of makin it work but I'm worried about keeping contact with te outside world in general. I don't want to be one of those socially akward homeschool kids who have no idea how to socialize (because I plan on attending college after my last year of highschool).

Any tips or advice?

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
                  I'm sure you'll do fine, lol.
                  Just stay in contact with your friends, and you'll be fine.
                  If you hang out with them, you won't "lose contact with the outside world."

User Image
Welcome to a new kind of tension.
Before you know it, you're struck down.
That's a false stereotype. The only case I've seen a home schooled kid be socially awkward was when bible thumpers were involved that wouldn't let him interact with anyone in the outside, including at church because they self taught at home with religion as well. You won't become socially awkward in a year's time alone. That kind of thing either takes years without interaction or mental disorders (I hate using the word disorder, because it's not really. They just think differently, and in some cases it makes social situations more difficult).

3,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
You said you have friends. So I don't think you will turn out to be one of those socially awkward kids. You're worrying too much.

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
I dont think you will have trouble because it is only one year. The awkward homeschool kids tend to be the ones who were never or barely in teh public system who never had any other chance of socialization. So as long as you are going to keep up with friends and hang out and such you will be okay. It will be a tad hard because you will feel like you are missing out because things that all your friends will talk about you will be like what? Since you werent there.
._. It isnt THAT bad as your making it out to be..Was Homeschooled all my life and I can talk to people normally.
princess_pillow
._. It isnt THAT bad as your making it out to be..Was Homeschooled all my life and I can talk to people normally.

I don't mean it like offensively '._. thoUgh t sounds hat way. I just go by stereotypes
Narcissistic Admiration
That's a false stereotype. The only case I've seen a home schooled kid be socially awkward was when bible thumpers were involved that wouldn't let him interact with anyone in the outside, including at church because they self taught at home with religion as well. You won't become socially awkward in a year's time alone. That kind of thing either takes years without interaction or mental disorders (I hate using the word disorder, because it's not really. They just think differently, and in some cases it makes social situations more difficult).

Mental disorders and a different thought process are mainly why I'm going out of public school heh
Inoguchi
princess_pillow

I don't mean it like offensively '._. thoUgh t sounds hat way. I just go by stereotypes

Some stereotypes are true.. But this, your blowing way out of preportion.
angel_259236102
I dont think you will have trouble because it is only one year. The awkward homeschool kids tend to be the ones who were never or barely in teh public system who never had any other chance of socialization. So as long as you are going to keep up with friends and hang out and such you will be okay. It will be a tad hard because you will feel like you are missing out because things that all your friends will talk about you will be like what? Since you werent there.

That's the part I'll be the saddest about : < though I'm glad most of my friends inside jokes originate on tumblr lol
I think the ability to socialize is something that comes (or doesn't come) naturally. If you're not worried about losing contact with friends then it probably won't make a difference that your home schooled-- it's not like you're going to forget how to hang out after one year. This is coming from someone who was home schooled for three years in elementary school. I was extremely unsocial before and after I was homeschooled, so I don't think that's what made the difference xp

Party Member

Actually, I was socially awkward. Then, it's actually one of the reasons I became homeschooled to begin with (I was bullied).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff