Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Lover

Hello Gaia! I am here to ask you a very...small question.

So, I moved to South Carolina from Florida in December. Has I have been told several times, I have to wait a year to become a resident.

1. Does this still make me a Florida resident then?

The reason I am asking is that I am taking my schooling online from my old college in Florida, and this spring I didn't tell them I moved until my teachers inquired of it for proctored testing.
So, if I am still a resident of Florida, I still get in state tuition and my scholarship still, until I become a South Carolina resident, am i correct?
I just need some help to figure out what to do..
I donno. I'd talk to the staff at the Florida university. I think states vary. It might be that, or it might be by semester or quarter or half a year to a year. However I think that there may be a period in which you drop out of the discount area. I'd look for a job to bide time.

Beloved Nerd

I agree with the person above me; I think it varies per state.

I know the information you were given is correct in terms of current residency for college after a move -- with most states (your's included) you need to wait one year before you're considered a resident of that state in their eyes, and only then will you receive the in-state tuition price. Some states, I've found, require a two year wait.. which I think is dumb. emotion_donotwant

Anyway! I'm not sure about "reverse residency," so you should definitely speak to your college in Florida. Call up either admissions, bursar's office, or financial aid.. one of those should be able to let you know. Some places "sever" contact with people who move out of state, so if your college in Florida is one of them, you may be caught in limbo for a year, until you can begin classes in South Carolina. Good luck, though!

Eloquent Lover

RegretMule
i are plushie

I know the information you were given is correct in terms of current residency for college after a move -- with most states (your's included) you need to wait one year before you're considered a resident of that state in their eyes, and only then will you receive the in-state tuition price. Some states, I've found, require a two year wait.. which I think is dumb. emotion_donotwant

Anyway! I'm not sure about "reverse residency," so you should definitely speak to your college in Florida. Call up either admissions, bursar's office, or financial aid.. one of those should be able to let you know. Some places "sever" contact with people who move out of state, so if your college in Florida is one of them, you may be caught in limbo for a year, until you can begin classes in South Carolina. Good luck, though!

c**t

Reported you immature idiot.

Eloquent Lover

RegretMule
XxXxInfernoxXxX
RegretMule
i are plushie

c**t

Reported you immature idiot.

Reported you for reporting me, a*****e.

Kk. Not gonna care :/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items