Welcome to Gaia! ::

I started seeing an OBGYN in June when I found out I was pregnant. I miscarried in September, my SECOND 20-week miscarriage. Since losing the baby she has put me on medication for bacterial infections 4 times. Apparently I have BV and UTIs almost constantly. I also found a LUMP in the crook of my leg and groin, about 1cm and moves on one side when pushed, totally internal. I also have always had weight issues.

Multiple Miscarriages (Ages 20 and 24)
Irregular Menstrual Cycle
Chronic Bacterial Infections
Cyst
Carry weight around stomach
Tons of acne esp on back and shoulders
Excess hair on toes and lower abdomen (women shouldn't have Happy Trails)
Depression/Anxiety

SHE WILL NOT TEST ME FOR PCOS OR DO ANYTHING ABOUT THE CYST
I have literally 8 symptoms of PCOS but she said she won't test me.
As for the cyst, she said it "hasn't gotten bigger" so we're just going to "not worry about it".
You can always go get a 2nd opinion if you want, but stop trying to diagnose yourself. It is important to understand that being a doctor is not just knowing lists of symtpoms.
legnanellaf5
You can always go get a 2nd opinion if you want, but stop trying to diagnose yourself. It is important to understand that being a doctor is not just knowing lists of symtpoms.
I don't want to diagnose myself, I want to be tested due to the fact I have quite a lot of symptoms. Also, I have a huge ******** lump, and Cancer runs in BOTH sides of my family. My mother was diagnosed with cancer at my age and died from 3 types of cancer before she saw 40. I'm pissed that she refused to test me.

Also my doctor won't forward my medical records to a GI, but i've had digestive issues since childhood and have gotten to the point of DAILY nausea, DAILY acid reflux, weekly vomiting, and Nexium does jack s**t. I also BM about 8 times a day but only eat twice, and am 60 pounds overweight.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
If you have a lump on your groin/leg area, that's likely not PCOS related and it is best to see a regular doctor about it.

However if you have enough of the symptoms that you think you might have PCOS and want to be tested by all means get a second opinion, but many menstrual related issues can cause these symptoms.

Cysts caused by PCOS are located on the ovaries (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) and often go away on their own, and they generally don't do anything about them unless they are getting bigger or otherwise changing.

I mean I have PCOS and yeah some of our symptoms are similar but they are also similar to many other issues that could have caused them.
AngelBiscuits
If you have a lump on your groin/leg area, that's likely not PCOS related and it is best to see a regular doctor.

However if you have enough of the symptoms that you think you might have PCOS and want to be tested by all means get a second opinion, but many menstrual related issues can cause these symptoms.

Cysts caused by PCOS are located on the ovaries (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) and often go away on their own, and they generally don't do anything about them unless they are getting bigger or otherwise changing.
The regular doctor won't look at it because he's not an OBGYN.

I have had a lot of health issues my whole life but only recently was eligible for insurance, and am trying to get stuff figured out. Because the doctors start calling me a hypochondriac when he says "what is wrong" and I name about 4 things per body part, i'm trying to research on my own and just ask for diagnostic testing. Is it acid reflux or GERD or IBS or a food allergy? Who knows? Not me, but I know i'm ******** miserable and seeing a GI would help, you know?

I think I will get a second opinion, i'm gonna call my insurance. At the very damn least I can get the cyst checked out.
AngelBiscuits
-

I mean I have PCOS and yeah some of our symptoms are similar but they are also similar to many other issues that could have caused them.
I have so many symptoms and don't know what goes with what, if I use the WebMD symptom checker, half my issues aren't even included and when I click for results I get a zillion freaking results. I'm trying to get one issue worked on at a time, but it's super hard when you don't know what goes with what. All I DO know is I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Levoscoliosis. [+++] Oh and my insurance covers neither Cymbalta nor Phetanyl patches, and this Tramadol does nothing. At all. I am still unable to sit more than 10 minutes without extreme tailbone pain and my legs going numb.

Diamond Regular

Honestly, to be tested for PCOS all they'll do is ask you questions about your physical symptoms, they'll check your Androgen/Testosterone levels and they'll give you an internal ultrasound to check for cysts on your ovaries. *You do not need cysts on the ovaries to be diagnosed with PCOS however. It is actually a hormone imbalance*

I had similar symptoms as you, and others and asked to be checked for it and was indeed diagnosed with it. (Considering 1 in 10 women worldwide experience PCOS on at least a small level it's not out of the realm of possibilities.)

However the lump isn't PCOS related and I would see a doctor about it ASAP. It could be nothing, but I wouldn't risk it being something.
Golden Teaspoon
Honestly, to be tested for PCOS all they'll do is ask you questions about your physical symptoms, they'll check your Androgen/Testosterone levels and they'll give you an internal ultrasound to check for cysts on your ovaries. *You do not need cysts on the ovaries to be diagnosed with PCOS however. It is actually a hormone imbalance*

I had similar symptoms as you, and others and asked to be checked for it and was indeed diagnosed with it. (Considering 1 in 10 women worldwide experience PCOS on at least a small level it's not out of the realm of possibilities.)

However the lump isn't PCOS related and I would see a doctor about it ASAP. It could be nothing, but I wouldn't risk it being something.
Well my grandmother has said I probably have a hormone imbalance. I've had hot flashes since I was 14, that's what she based it off of I guess. Dunno what else it would effect.

Fairy

You can get a second opinion if you'd like, but it seems to me you're self-diagnosing, so don't be upset if a second opinion ends up being the same as the first. I wouldn't switch doctors unless you are uncomfortable with the service she is providing - other than the fact that she won't test you for PCOS.
Sairanie
You can get a second opinion if you'd like, but it seems to me you're self-diagnosing, so don't be upset if a second opinion ends up being the same as the first. I wouldn't switch doctors unless you are uncomfortable with the service she is providing - other than the fact that she won't test you for PCOS.
She is also refusing to test the lump even though I have cancer on both sides of my family, and my mother was diagnosed at the EXACT age I am right now. The PCOS testing is more like 30% troubling me, while the fact that all she did was feel the cyst with her fingers is 70% troubling me. How the hell can you tell if it's cancerous by just feeling?

Diamond Regular

SammyKijak
Golden Teaspoon

Well my grandmother has said I probably have a hormone imbalance. I've had hot flashes since I was 14, that's what she based it off of I guess. Dunno what else it would effect.

I've had hot flashes for a while. They suck. My doctor told me they're due to fluctuations in my hormone levels.

But I would look for a new OB purely because they aren't taking your concerns seriously and testing for concerns or at least discussing why they do or don't think you've got it.
Golden Teaspoon
SammyKijak
Golden Teaspoon

I've had hot flashes for a while. They suck. My doctor told me they're due to fluctuations in my hormone levels.

But I would look for a new OB purely because they aren't taking your concerns seriously and testing for concerns or at least discussing why they do or don't think you've got it.
Oh so i'm not the only one xD In jr. high school kids looked at me like I was nuts because out of nowhere I yanked my hoodie off and started fanning myself and breathing heavily. I didn't know what they were when I was only a young teen, so I was definitely overly-dramatic with my reactions.

Yes, she is not taking my concerns seriously. I don't see how simply testing me for PCOS and testing the lump would hurt her, and it would bring me peace of mind. If it isn't PCOS, I would have an issue crossed off the list and would throw those symptoms into my big bag o'problems with the others in hopes they will line up with something eventually.

I have had very poor health for a very long time, I can't help but to be DESPERATE to figure things out...
Just wanna vent a moment..............

Pissed as hell at doctors.

What is the point of me tracking my symptoms and trying to learn about my health and be proactive about it when all the doctors (AND OTHER PEOPLE) do is say I shouldn't "self-diagnose with internet crap".

I'm sorry, if I have 28/30 symptoms of something, I AM GOING TO WANT TO GET TESTED. Telling me not to trust online medical stuff... How the ******** else am I supposed to figure s**t out?
Maybe I should make a list of EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM I HAVE and organize it alphabetically instead of by groups of which I think goes with which, walk up to my doctor, and say "since you won't listen to what I think I should get tested for, here is all the s**t that makes me miserable on a daily basis. Have fun reading both sides of 5 sheets of paper and figuring out what goes with what. When you're ready to admit I might have a freaking clue what is wrong with my own body and are frustrated by the mile-long list, maybe you can LISTEN TO ME".

Fairy

SammyKijak

If you are really that concerned about it, I would get another opinion. You might be better off going to your family doctor or a GP for the cyst though, depending on exactly where it is.
As for her just feeling the cyst, it is odd that she didn't discuss it in greater detail with you, but perhaps she felt something characteristic of a totally different condition?
Sairanie
SammyKijak

If you are really that concerned about it, I would get another opinion. You might be better off going to your family doctor or a GP for the cyst though, depending on exactly where it is.
As for her just feeling the cyst, it is odd that she didn't discuss it in greater detail with you, but perhaps she felt something characteristic of a totally different condition?
I hope it is okay to post this as it is a bathing suit and everything is covered, this is where it is, you have to press hard to feel it under the skin, it is about the size of my thumb, moves freely on one side but attached on the other. Since it is in this area, my PCP won't do anything. He said I need an OBGYN.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Random Google Picture

She said "it is a cyst" and that it is rare to get them there. That was about it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff