Welcome to Gaia! ::

An Epic No Less's Husband

Kawaii Lunatic

18,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
HKpanda
You can always apply to college for different terms (fall, winter, spring, and even summer!)

If you consider a gap year, make sure you either work, travel, or figure out what you really want to study in college. Save some money for college.

Looking at your stats, you can always try!
You never know! Do not underestimate yourself! Have confidence!

If it doesn't work out, you can always consider community colleges and transfer to a 4 year (cheaper and saves tons of money)

Oh, I was considering Spring of 2016 if I didn't make it into Fall 2015.
I'd probably end up working, seeing as I come from a pretty poor family.

Kawaii Lunatic

18,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Lilith_Lilium
Eilley
So, I'm in trouble guys.
I'm graduating in 3 months and have yet to apply to any colleges.
My grades sort of stink (I had a 3.0 GPA at semester) and I'm not sure if any college would want to accept me.
I scored a 21 on the ACT, which is accepted as the minimum for a lot of colleges.
I'm so insanely unprepared it's not even funny.
Due to the amount of homework I receive and the constant flow of my after school activities, I have not found time to write any essays.
I was reading up on gap years and why they can be helpful but also harmful.
I'm not too certain about them, and need some help deciding on whether it's a good idea or not to wait another semester and apply in the Spring instead (my last resort is next Fall...)
I don't really like the idea of waiting, but I also don't like the idea of doing everything (applying to 6 schools) at the last minute.

thanks in advance.

Here's the thing with gap years- do volunteer work and travel. This can be a time to think about what you want to major in and prepare you to do good in college and not be burned out.

I know exactly what I want to major in, but there aren't a lot of volunteer opportunities around here (if that's what you were referring to) that relate to what I want to do at all.
I'd love to travel, but I lack money and resources, so I think I'll just work for a few months to save up money.

Kawaii Lunatic

18,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Kodai no Hoshi
Just apply now. There's 6 schools you said, right? At least one of them is bound to accept you. I don't know how it works nowadays since it's been awhile since I graduated high school, but I think you're supposed to say what extracurricular activities you do. They may take that into consideration if you to a lot of stuff outside school. If you don't get accepted, then no big deal. Take a gap year and just work really hard and apply later. You can take that time to decide what you wanna do and what field you want to enter.
Be warned though, gap years can make it a little harder to go back to school since you get used to it, but if you have the focus and ambition to go back, then it's nothing to worry about.
Good luck! biggrin

One of them maybe. I hope, at least.I think that's one thing you list, but most of them just want transcripts and letters of recommendation along with a personal essay.
I think I definitely have the focus, but thinking about the gap year (or even skipping a semester) makes me worry.
thank you!

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eilley
Lilith_Lilium
Eilley
So, I'm in trouble guys.
My grades sort of stink (I had a 3.0 GPA at semester) and I'm not sure if any college would want to accept me.
I scored a 21 on the ACT, which is accepted as the minimum for a lot of colleges.
Due to the amount of homework I receive and the constant flow of my after school activities, I have not found time to write any essays.
I'm not too certain about them, and need some help deciding on whether it's a good idea or not to wait another semester and apply in the Spring instead (my last resort is next Fall...)
I don't really like the idea of waiting, but I also don't like the idea of doing everything (applying to 6 schools) at the last minute.

thanks in advance.

Here's the thing with gap years- do volunteer work and travel. This can be a time to think about what you want to major in and prepare you to do good in college and not be burned out.

I know exactly what I want to major in, but there aren't a lot of volunteer opportunities around here (if that's what you were referring to) that relate to what I want to do at all.
I'd love to travel, but I lack money and resources, so I think I'll just work for a few months to save up money.

If you work, you miss out on scholarships because of your new income. They want to give out money to those who never worked. Volunteering doesn't have to be towards your field of study at all, it's just supposed to look good on a resume when you apply for college. There's always volunteer work to do like painting fire hydrants, picking up trash, packaging food at your local food bank, etc. You could also join the peace corps or the military for free college.

Kawaii Lunatic

18,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
kizoi
Are you just worried you'll be rejected?

Because there's really no good reason for you not to apply to colleges. It sounds like you're busy...but can you really not make time? Can you not find out your best assets and learn how to present them? Won't it be useful to get feedback from schools, whether you decide to go or not?

If you attend a new place mid-year, keep in mind that many people will already be settled into routines and friend groups. For that reason, I'd recommend starting school in the fall if / when you do.

Oh, definitely afraid I'll get rejected-- especially if I try and apply to CalArts.
I'm currently trying to figure out a time when I'm free to do these things without being bugged by friends or family.
I'll apply to 3 of the 6 colleges I was considering and see if any accept me... or maybe just all 6. idk.
Thank you for that bit of advice at the end about the friend groups. Never been a new kid, so I don't know how hard that is.

Kawaii Lunatic

18,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Lilith_Lilium
Eilley
Lilith_Lilium
Eilley
So, I'm in trouble guys.

thanks in advance.

If you work, you miss out on scholarships because of your new income. They want to give out money to those who never worked. Volunteering doesn't have to be towards your field of study at all, it's just supposed to look good on a resume when you apply for college. There's always volunteer work to do like painting fire hydrants, picking up trash, packaging food at your local food bank, etc. You could also join the peace corps or the military for free college.

Oh man, I didn't know that. I'll definitely start doing some volunteer work.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
But really 3 months really isn't that short if you want to go to college next fall, that's plenty of time to start doing things that look good on a resume and writing an essay to apply to college. Also, you can easily get into a local community college by just enrolling and apply to university next year or after you get an associates degree. Just make sure whatever classes you take can be transferred to any university you want to go to so you don't waste money.

Clocksys's Princess

Fanatical Partygoer

11,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Eilley

Hey there! I'm in the exact same situation as you!
3.0 GPA isn't that bad, it won't get you into the more competitive schools. But it'll get you into a decent school, and your ACT test score isn't bad at all! (I basically have your grades but -2 points off the act... >_>;; )
Most people stress on unprepare-ness for college, but if available talk to your counselor in your school about your stress and worries. Or talk to students within your grade that are (if available) enrolled into a post secondary education option (PSEO) classes about how different college classes are different from high school courses.

I have a friend that's considering a gap year after they graduate because they feel exactly the way you feel. They've expressed to me that they feel overwhelmed about going into college right after graduating, and that a gap year will clear their mind. And maybe you're thinking that too! I'm not here to say you should do it or not. But you have to consider what you'll do during that GAP year that'll help you decide whether you want to continue towards college or not. And worst case scenario is that when you head back to college after that gap year you'll be rusty in all the subjects. But some people need that kind of rest.

What's nice is that some colleges let you submit essays you written for other classes as your college essay. Or you can go to community college for 2 years and transfer out to a 4 year uni. to finish up your credits. Saves money for you rather than going straight into a university. Plus if you apply for a large amount of schools at least one of them will accept you. :>
Eilley
kizoi
Are you just worried you'll be rejected?

Because there's really no good reason for you not to apply to colleges. It sounds like you're busy...but can you really not make time? Can you not find out your best assets and learn how to present them? Won't it be useful to get feedback from schools, whether you decide to go or not?

If you attend a new place mid-year, keep in mind that many people will already be settled into routines and friend groups. For that reason, I'd recommend starting school in the fall if / when you do.

Oh, definitely afraid I'll get rejected-- especially if I try and apply to CalArts.
I'm currently trying to figure out a time when I'm free to do these things without being bugged by friends or family.
I'll apply to 3 of the 6 colleges I was considering and see if any accept me... or maybe just all 6. idk.
Thank you for that bit of advice at the end about the friend groups. Never been a new kid, so I don't know how hard that is.

No problem! Rejection is scary - and to be honest, I waited 'till the last minute to apply to colleges too. I think I only applied to 3 my first time around. I wish I'd applied to more, though! The more acceptances you get, the more options you will have, and the more you will have the freedom to choose the place that looks best for you.

It is great if you can ask for alone time to work on your college applications, but you can also involve your friends and family in the process. You can ask them things like, "What do you think are my best assets are, and why?" and "What kind of ideas do you have for this essay?" They might be happy to help!

I've been in and out of college for the last 7 years, and I've learned...it's not a race! Even though some people see it that way, it's not. It may be easier to fit in if you do your time consecutively (4 ish years in a row at the same place), but be open to the fact that it may take longer or happen a different way. The important thing is really just learning during the process~ Best of luck! 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff