Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Wife

Normally, I like to respond to problems and help, but it seems now I am at a breaking point and need help myself. I'm not very good with expressing myself, so if this comes out confusing please let me know.

My situation is this: I am 20, and recently went to one year of college before having to leave due to money issues. I live with my parents, and my bf moved in with us after his abusive parents eventually kicked him on the streets. He has a job, but I cannot for the life of me find one.

Why?

I have bad knees and hips, so bad that standing for even an hour hurts, and doing most physical activities is almost impossible. I need to lay down most of the day due to the pain it causes, and physical therapy didn't really.... fix it. Or relieve enough pain. I called to file for disability, but they refuse to help me until I give up looking for a job. When the woman called me back, she stated that because I was currently and actively looking for a job they would not help me by sending me money. I cannot afford to stop looking..... as I need to start repaying my loans on December 11th.

I've been trying to find online jobs, or even a pet-sitting job, but pet-sitting requires me having a permit half the time, which I don't have, or I don't get responses when I apply. As for online.... I have no idea where to start looking. Is it even feasible to get a job solely online? Am I being an idiot for trying?

I'm scared, because at this point I'll be unable to repay my loans. I also am near broke, and am getting closer to the 0 mark in my bank-account. What do I do? Does anyone have any advice?

Original Phantom

8,875 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Keep looking for employment, but search for under the table jobs. Basically things like House sitting, pet sitting, pet grooming, etc all for citizens instead of businesses. They pay by cash, you stay under the radar.

A big thing about disability, is persistence. Keep at it, no matter how many times they shut you down. It may even help to see if there's a lawyer who will work with you on the fees.

Bunny

I'm sure there are jobs you can get online but those would require certain skills and some of those skills would probably require a college education in that field. However, there are websites where you can do surveys, voice your opinion on certain subjects they ask you and you get paid for them. Most of them will email you if they find surveys relatable to you. There's also websites for instance Babble where you can write posts (be a blogger basically) and write about the subjects that they have available on the website like parenting, food, etc. and get paid for it if they like what you've written.

First, I would recommend calling your loans company. My husband & I were able to get forbearance on our loans for over a year because we couldn't afford them, even with the jobs we had. I believe we are still accumulating interest, but we pay nothing for now because of lack of finances. We have two different loan companies that we're dealing with, and they both granted us forbearance.

Second, I've been working from home for 2 years now. Admittedly, I have customer service/call-center experience, and I'm sure it's helped, but I know that there are several call-center-like jobs out there that are work-from-home and require no experience. There are also several "nest egg" type jobs that are super flexible (no/little phone work), but they're a bit harder to do.

Here's a great site that links to all kinds of legit work-at-home companies, both phone and non-phone:
http://www.wahadventures.com/

Phone jobs obviously require a super quiet work environment. That may or may not be possible for you. They also don't always require a landline phone. If you have a quiet home, you can try applying for Sitel or Teletech. I've worked with both companies, and they're definitely legit. Sitel may have some non-phone jobs available. Asurion is full-time work only, I believe, but I'm pretty positive they require zero phone/call-center experience at all.

If you need super flexibility, you can try transcribing or doing data entry. Really, check out that site I listed above because they have tons of company reviews and what they require. There's also virtual assisting (making calls for people, checking the price on things in their area)... there's not always work available & it can be a bit complicated to get in with good companies, but I was able to pull $100 a week from just FancyHands -- paid biweekly. Usually, if you're going for the flexibility, you want to work at a few different places so you can pick & choose what you want to do.

I hope that helps. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that being on disability qualifies you for forbearance anyway. I know it's not what you're hoping for, though. I also agree with Her Discord -- you may need to try contacting a lawyer if they refuse to give it to you.

I'm sorry you're going through this... Good luck.

Rune Slessiane's Husband

Fashionable Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
Yushika
Normally, I like to respond to problems and help, but it seems now I am at a breaking point and need help myself. I'm not very good with expressing myself, so if this comes out confusing please let me know.

My situation is this: I am 20, and recently went to one year of college before having to leave due to money issues. I live with my parents, and my bf moved in with us after his abusive parents eventually kicked him on the streets. He has a job, but I cannot for the life of me find one.

Why?

I have bad knees and hips, so bad that standing for even an hour hurts, and doing most physical activities is almost impossible. I need to lay down most of the day due to the pain it causes, and physical therapy didn't really.... fix it. Or relieve enough pain. I called to file for disability, but they refuse to help me until I give up looking for a job. When the woman called me back, she stated that because I was currently and actively looking for a job they would not help me by sending me money. I cannot afford to stop looking..... as I need to start repaying my loans on December 11th.

I've been trying to find online jobs, or even a pet-sitting job, but pet-sitting requires me having a permit half the time, which I don't have, or I don't get responses when I apply. As for online.... I have no idea where to start looking. Is it even feasible to get a job solely online? Am I being an idiot for trying?

I'm scared, because at this point I'll be unable to repay my loans. I also am near broke, and am getting closer to the 0 mark in my bank-account. What do I do? Does anyone have any advice?

For one, not all physical therapy is there to fix the solution. Chances are they put you on a preventative routine to keep it from getting any worse than it already is. You should definitely keep up with the exercises they taught you. I slipped a disc in my back, and where I could twist from side to side no problem, it hurts to do so. I practice yoga exercises when I get up in the morning. It keeps the inflammation down and the pain lets up--but you have to be diligent about it.

Second of all, you cannot be employed and file for disability in most jobs/companies to my knowledge. They will send you the money based on your needs so you probably don't need a job. Ask all the right questions. Ask if disability is the right thing for you and explain your situation. Ask if you can stop receiving it at any time.

You can start a GoFundMe account and see if people will donate to your cause. They have different categories of causes from loan debt to trip costs and you can share through social media to draw in more funds. It's pretty easy to set up.

The most important thing you can do is arm yourself with some knowledge of what you're considering getting yourself into.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Apply at the state MVD.
                  I work at the one in my state, and it's nothing but sitting and listening to customers all day.
                  It's very easy on the body, as long as you can handle irate customers!

As for the physical therapy, sometimes they're not supposed to take the pain away 100%.
                  The things they have you do helps prevent it from getting worse.
                  So keep trying that, and keep up with what they have showed you so far.
                  It's very important!
                  User Image

Lavish Loiterer

!d!ot Amer!ca

Apply at the state MVD.
                  I work at the one in my state, and it's nothing but sitting and listening to customers all day.

As for the physical therapy, sometimes they're not supposed to take the pain away 100%.
                  It's very important!
                  User Image

Are you in Arizona?
Just wondering because I know it's called the MVD there but here in California it's still the same ol' DMV

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
Mae Lovelyn
!d!ot Amer!ca

Apply at the state MVD.

It's very important!
                  User Image

Are you in Arizona?
Just wondering because I know it's called the MVD there but here in California it's still the same ol' DMV

New Mexico.
                  In Michigan they're the DMV, too.
                  But it's a lovely job if you can deal with people bitching all day.
                  User Image

Lavish Loiterer

!d!ot Amer!ca
Mae Lovelyn
!d!ot Amer!ca

Apply at the state MVD.

It's very important!
                  User Image

Are you in Arizona?

New Mexico.
                  In Michigan they're the DMV, too.
                  But it's a lovely job if you can deal with people bitching all day.
                  User Image

Any work environment that involves dealing with bitchy customers should be praised for having such a high tolerance for bs.

Dapper Ladykiller

Just stop looking for job and yes, they will help you.

And yes, getting financial help for your disability will help pay off your loans month by month (I myself have been at it since I left school over 10 years ago and I'm hearing impaired, BTW.)

You can also reduce the monthly payments for your loans or even postpone them for two years if necessary, though it will still take very long time to pay it all off. confused (Like about 10 years or so, depending.)

Gracious Millionaire

9,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
Yushika

When I had to start paying my loans back I was scared too. My husband is unemployed, I only have a part-time job and what I make, even though good money, barely covers regular bills. My suggestion is to see if your loan company has a financial assistance program where they deter your loans for a certain amount of time or lower your payments. I did that with mine and they were able to deter it for a year and then they gave me reduced rates after because we still can't afford them.

Aleeechu's Partner In Crime

If you're still trying towards a job, maybe you can search through a website called Glassdoor. You can search for different jobs/companies/salaries in your area. Wage varies state to state, but I find the interview stories and other reviews kind of neat.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff