Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Fatcat

Okay, so for background: met my roomie first day first year uni. Now in second year uni, still best friends, now living together (neither of us has ever had a roomie before).
We've been getting along great, and everything was going swell, but lately things have been a bit rocky. We used to do favours for each other a lot (i.e. one's going to the print shop so we just print out two copies), but lately she's not been doing that.
Also, we used to split the cost of groceries and just go shopping together, but if we had a weird item only one of us would eat then we'd pay for it ourselves. Now, she's suggesting we buy our own groceries because she thinks it'll be easier and she wants to eat different things. Now, I am all for eating different things and changing things up, but we have almost the exact same taste in food, so I think it's kind of pointless to buy separate groceries (on this note, she's also CRAZY about saving money - she spent $400 last month TOTAL and she freaked out because it was 'way too much').
She's also been a little more catty in day-to-day life - sarcasm is one thing, but she's been bordering on being a bit rude sometimes. I asked her a number of times if she was annoyed/angry with me (because to me the groceries thing feels a little bit like punishment of some sort) and finally she said she was a bit annoyed that we had been leaving dishes overnight - to which I said 'okay, let's do them every night then' (I had only been doing this because I had a big midterm this week to study for).
So: am I overreacting, or should I really sit down and talk to her about it?

Shameless Exhibitionist

7,350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Sounds like just workload-related stress to me. Wait until it lulls a bit deadline-wise, then see if her mood, behaviour and attitude improves.
Eh, sounds like what usually happens when two people share a living space for extended periods of time. You should count yourself lucky this is the worst of it.

I can understand the money thing. Not everyone has a lot of money to spare and not everyone likes to spend more than they really need to. I guess it would tie in with the groceries thing too. Sharing the costs might be a bit too much for her. Just buy what you need as far as groceries go from now on or just ask her if she's wanting anything from the shops when you're going out shopping and let her give you the money for it.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
Aveyerpe
Okay, so for background: met my roomie first day first year uni. Now in second year uni, still best friends, now living together (neither of us has ever had a roomie before).
We've been getting along great, and everything was going swell, but lately things have been a bit rocky. We used to do favours for each other a lot (i.e. one's going to the print shop so we just print out two copies), but lately she's not been doing that.
Also, we used to split the cost of groceries and just go shopping together, but if we had a weird item only one of us would eat then we'd pay for it ourselves. Now, she's suggesting we buy our own groceries because she thinks it'll be easier and she wants to eat different things. Now, I am all for eating different things and changing things up, but we have almost the exact same taste in food, so I think it's kind of pointless to buy separate groceries (on this note, she's also CRAZY about saving money - she spent $400 last month TOTAL and she freaked out because it was 'way too much').
She's also been a little more catty in day-to-day life - sarcasm is one thing, but she's been bordering on being a bit rude sometimes. I asked her a number of times if she was annoyed/angry with me (because to me the groceries thing feels a little bit like punishment of some sort) and finally she said she was a bit annoyed that we had been leaving dishes overnight - to which I said 'okay, let's do them every night then' (I had only been doing this because I had a big midterm this week to study for).
So: am I overreacting, or should I really sit down and talk to her about it?

Don't get on her for not splitting groceries. Just drop it and buy your own food. It doesn't matter if you guys buy the same things because you will always eat different amount of it when you guys do. You wouldn't be complaining if it was like this initially. She probably feels pressure to eat more of what you guys split because it ends up not being saved for her by being eaten up by you instead, which could make her feel anxious.

$400 is way too ******** much to spend on food for the month on oneself. That's $13.33 a day, she could eat out at a restaurant or buffet every day for that amount.

Yes you're overreacting.

Liberal Sex Symbol

You two are co-existing, you are not in a relationship yet you're treating it like it is.

If she no longer feels that splitting the groceries is in her financial interest, then that's her right to no longer do that anymore, especially since it sounds like she's trying to save some money. $400 a month to feed a single person is nuts. My wife and I spend less than that a month for both of us to not only eat organic foods and lots of cheeses, but to go out to lunch once a week,and have tea twice a week. So I imagine she's spending all that money inefficiently eating crap that she's not happy with.

Her snippy attitude is probably because of stress, just give her the space she needs and focus on doing your own thing, eventually she should calm down. Don't force the subject now or you'll really piss her off and do irreparable damage to your friendship.

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
So she wants to buy her own stuff instead of sharing a bill, that is reasonable.
So she wants to save money? Again not a big deal.
Her finances aren't your business, and she isn't being unreasonable with her requests.
If she is being catty, she's probably stressed out about something.
You need to give each other some space.

Wheezing Fatcat

Okay first off so you guys misunderstood - the $400 in a month was EVERYTHING - food, some clothes, going out to a couple movies, etc.
Second, we talked it through and figured everything out, so thank you for your help but it's all good now.

Inscriven

I don't see how we're treating it like a relationship, especially when it technically is a very close one.

Lilith_Lilium

A) I'm not complaining, I'm asking for advice based on my (although not current anymore) situation.
B) We actually eat very similar volumes of everything (in fact, certain things I never get a chance to touch but still pay for).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff