Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I've been renting my apartment for about two months now.
Everything's been sunshine and roses until the elderly mom and middle aged son moved in downstairs...
24/7 the son goes in and out of the complex slamming the doors.
He will have his male friends over and sit outside the apartment and talk loudly with 10 or so people right outside the apartment until 12am.
Lately, he's been fighting with his mother.
I went downstairs to do laundry and heard loud cussing and objects being thrown and I promptly ran up the stairs.
Today he screamed for a good 30 minutes, stormed up the steps, slammed the door 3 times and got in his car and speed out of the drive way.

Is there annnything I can do? I work at 5:30 am and I'm constantly struggling to sleep due to the CONSTANT door slamming, cussing, and yelling men outside my apartment.
In the first instance, it'd be worth asking the landlord to have a word with them about it. If they carry on, it'd be worth asking the police about it as it could be a sign of household abuse as well as being far too much noise.
A lot of apartment complexes have quiet hours, usually beginning around 10pm, so you're well within your right to make a noise complaint. I would talk to you landlord, and if it keeps happening call the police about a domestic disturbance (especially if you hear screaming and things being thrown).

If they're just being loud outside on the porch talking, it also doesn't hurt to come out and politely ask them to keep it down since they're disturbing you.

Timid Lunatic

We used to live under a loud, obnoxious family with two delinquent sons and an abusive father. When the landlord did nothing, we started calling the police every time a fight broke out. Things got a lot quieter after that happened a few times.
Just called the landlord, the jerk acted like he didn't believe me.
I'm literally scared to go outside my apartment alone because of all the cussing, fighting,and people coming in and out.
What can I do?
Panda Shammy
I'm literally scared to go outside my apartment alone because of all the cussing, fighting,and people coming in and out.
What can I do?
call the police.

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
Panda Shammy
What can I do?

Call the police emergency number because you think there's something really sketchy going on. They'll get a noise warning and that should scare them into shutting up.

With your landlord, contact the Department of Housing and Urban Development as well as the BBB. The BBB will keep a record of your complain, and the HUD actually removed my shitty landlord from her position because she refused to answer complaints.

Bashful Bookworm

Definitely call the police. They won't say who made the call and will come over to talk with them.

Spoopy Kitten

Tell the landlord. If that does work, dont be afraid to call the cops. My mom and i used to live in this wonderful place, but the people above us would abuse the crap out of one another [they were dating, and also had a 6 year old daughter living up there with them...]. So everytime we heard them fighting, slamming doors, breaking things, or hitting one another, my mom would call the cops. First time it happened, we asked the landlady what to do. She landlady here insisted she couldnt do anything about it unless the cops got involved, they decided to leave, or their lease was up. So we called the cops then and everytime after. After about 3-4 months of cops atleast once a week, they were evicted

Toothsome Elder

Yup, cops. If you feel threatened, don't be afraid to call them. Noise is one thing, being too afraid to venture downstairs is another.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff