Welcome to Gaia! ::

Does it have to be a dog or a cat like why not a hamster and put it in a hamster ball and let it roll you lnow
StreetchIck123
Does it have to be a dog or a cat like why not a hamster and put it in a hamster ball and let it roll you lnow

I'd be down with a hamster. For whatever reason, she really wants a dog. I am guessing her mom never let her have a dog when she was growing up and that's the reason for it. I know her mom has 2 cats. I even said a cat would be a maybe, since they aren't as hard to deal with as a dog would be, but yea...

Sparkly Smoker

Compromise is an important part of every relationship. Compromise = Respect. Unfortunately, there are some things that are deal breakers and while breaking up because you don't agree on getting a pet or not sounds silly, it's a completely valid reason. Animals can be a very important part of our lives and asking her not to get a pet for the rest of the time you are together (which could be a very long time!) is unfair and could create resentment. With that being said, it's also unfair of her to ask you to house an animal when you are clearly uncomfortable doing so. In my opinion, this is a deal breaker. Now, you have a couple of options. You could compromise and start out with a hamster, or something of the sort so she could prove to you how well she takes care of a pet. You also have the option to volunteer at a humane society together. This could show her you're open to the idea of pets one day. You would be trying instead of outright shutting her down. You never know, you might find a dog that changes your mind! Lastly, you could chalk this up to incompatibility and break up.

With all that being said, if your friends are asking you to terminate the relationship, their might be larger problems at hand. Maybe you should re-evaluate.

Also, as an animal lover, if someone I loved told me they would be okay with letting an animal right out the door to fend for itself and most likely die a painful death by starvation, disease, getting run over or what have you, I would be offended and probably call them a name as well. I feel, if you knew how she felt about animals, saying something like that to her was callous and cold-hearted, no matter how honest you were trying to be. You knew exactly what kind of reaction you were going to get. That was not a smart thing to say, in my opinion.

Big Duck

Have you considered seeing some kind of therapist for your issues with pets, esp. dogs? If you can get past your personal issues and compromise that way, that could work. However, it seems easier for your girlfriend to just get over her desire for a dog (since she has no deep-seated issues like you do) and get something else you will be able to tolerate. Yes, you're both being stubborn, but does she really have a better reason to be stubborn and not compromise in your favor?
Edit: Even though it seems easier for her to compromise for you, it will probably be wisest for both of you to compromise equally. For example: Both of you move in together, you work out your issues, and she waits to get a dog until you're ready for one. And in the meantime she could even own a different kind of pet.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
Personally, it sounds like she is picking a fight with you over it, hoping to guilt you into letting her have one. The thing is, if it did happen, and you did decide to let the dog out, because of spite. You are allowing an animal, that has no choice in being put in that situation, to possibly get hurt/killed. The dog has no choice being there, so don't punish it.

With that being said, it sounds like a pretty toxic relationship, since there is absolutely no compromise. I know that you stated you hate dogs, because of the way your parents looked after them as you grew up with them. But that is blaming an entire species on the lack of training two people had. It might be a good idea to seek therapy over that, because it sounds like something that is going to make you really miss out on something that could be a good experience for you.

But, as far as I have read from the posts/OP, I don't think the relationship will last. It sounds like both of you are rocks, not willing to budge when shoved on an issue. I doubt that this will be the only issue you two will ever face.
le iggy
Compromise is an important part of every relationship. Compromise = Respect. Unfortunately, there are some things that are deal breakers and while breaking up because you don't agree on getting a pet or not sounds silly, it's a completely valid reason. Animals can be a very important part of our lives and asking her not to get a pet for the rest of the time you are together (which could be a very long time!) is unfair and could create resentment. With that being said, it's also unfair of her to ask you to house an animal when you are clearly uncomfortable doing so. In my opinion, this is a deal breaker. Now, you have a couple of options. You could compromise and start out with a hamster, or something of the sort so she could prove to you how well she takes care of a pet. You also have the option to volunteer at a humane society together. This could show her you're open to the idea of pets one day. You would be trying instead of outright shutting her down. You never know, you might find a dog that changes your mind! Lastly, you could chalk this up to incompatibility and break up.

With all that being said, if your friends are asking you to terminate the relationship, their might be larger problems at hand. Maybe you should re-evaluate.

Also, as an animal lover, if someone I loved told me they would be okay with letting an animal right out the door to fend for itself and most likely die a painful death by starvation, disease, getting run over or what have you, I would be offended and probably call them a name as well. I feel, if you knew how she felt about animals, saying something like that to her was callous and cold-hearted, no matter how honest you were trying to be. You knew exactly what kind of reaction you were going to get. That was not a smart thing to say, in my opinion.

Agreed about the compromising bit. I'm willing to go the hamster route, or even potentially being ok with a cat, but not sure if she is willing to do so. I'll ask her tomorrow, as I'm really not in the mood to touch the subject with her again tonight. As per the volunteering bit, if I had the time, I'd consider it, but sadly, my job has me working from the early mornings to the evenings, and considering how much running around I do, I'm generally a zombie by the end of the day. I'd rather avoid the last option altogether if possible.

I didn't want to get into the larger problems, but a major problem recently was her jealousy of my having female friends. I don't quite know if we came to a resolution on it, but it hasn't been an issue lately, and well, yea, would rather not light that fire razz

Perhaps it wasn't a smart thing to say, but my being nice about it wasn't sinking in.

Parasynthetic
Have you considered seeing some kind of therapist for your issues with pets, esp. dogs? If you can get past your personal issues and compromise that way, that could work. However, it seems easier for your girlfriend to just get over her desire for a dog (since she has no deep-seated issues like you do) and get something else you will be able to tolerate. Yes, you're both being stubborn, but does she really have a better reason to be stubborn and not compromise in your favor?
Edit: Even though it seems easier for her to compromise for you, it will probably be wisest for both of you to compromise equally. For example: Both of you move in together, you work out your issues, and she waits to get a dog until you're ready for one. And in the meantime she could even own a different kind of pet.

I likely need to see a therapist for a number of things, but I have my own reasons I'd rather not explain as to why I haven't. Her and I both likely need therapy, for different reasons, but it's currently not an option for either of us. Again, not something I want to get into.

Yea, I mean, I'm not opposed to the idea forever. Currently, yes, very opposed to it, but my thoughts could always change. It's always possible that a few years without a dog will help me be more open to getting one in the future. That's a good point and something I never mentioned to her, so I definitely should when her and I next talk. Thanks.

quayla666
Personally, it sounds like she is picking a fight with you over it, hoping to guilt you into letting her have one. The thing is, if it did happen, and you did decide to let the dog out, because of spite. You are allowing an animal, that has no choice in being put in that situation, to possibly get hurt/killed. The dog has no choice being there, so don't punish it.

With that being said, it sounds like a pretty toxic relationship, since there is absolutely no compromise. I know that you stated you hate dogs, because of the way your parents looked after them as you grew up with them. But that is blaming an entire species on the lack of training two people had. It might be a good idea to seek therapy over that, because it sounds like something that is going to make you really miss out on something that could be a good experience for you.

But, as far as I have read from the posts/OP, I don't think the relationship will last. It sounds like both of you are rocks, not willing to budge when shoved on an issue. I doubt that this will be the only issue you two will ever face.

Doing something and thinking about it are very different. Much harder to actually do something like that b/c despite what it may look like, I do have a conscious...conscience?...I don't remember the spelling for how I wish to use the word.

It's not the first issue, and I'm sure not the last, but every relationship has issues.

:Edit:
Heading to bed now. Thanks for replies at all.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
There are some things you cannot compromise on. Pets are one of them (cuz they are pretty much the same as children, just shorter lifespans and you have to clean up after them their entire lives instead of for a decade+). You are 100% against, she is 100% for. Neither of you can respect each others desires on this. You can't change her mind because it's something she truly wants. She can't change your mind because you've had enough experience with shitty pet owners to not want to end up being the person taking care of HER pet, which considering she can't have one right now because she can't take care of one on her own says it's VERY likely to happen.

This s**t, like marriage and kids, is a huge deal breaker. The minute you two start living together, she's gonna push, and then she's just gonna go out and get one anyway because she's an adult and can do that. Then you get stuck because she cannot and will not see things from your perspective. You really need to end it. And think about it, if your friends are telling you s**t ain't right for other reasons, are you sure you'd want to get to the living together stage with someone who is setting off everyone else's alarm bells, who even you are saying "well I'd end it, but we've been together for so long..."? Just because this relationship is the longest one you've had does not make it the best one for you. And 15 months, in the grand scheme of things, is not that long a time. Don't date a person just because you fear being lonely. It's the shittiest reason to stay with someone, especially when they make it clear they do not respect your opinion and point of view (this doesn't mean they agree with it, it means that they aren't sitting there saying they are so charming they can change it. That implies you aren't entitled to your opinion in their mind, which is a big red flag, Changing your opinion based on logic and facts, okay. Based on the wiles of your partner? No. Not okay. Not good grounds for a change of opinion.).

And yes, the comment about letting the dogs out was very assholish. The animals shouldn't have to suffer because you are tired of them and their owners are s**t. If you don't like the animal situation and there is neglect occurring, report the owners. I understand you are tired of taking care of your parents dogs and putting up with them being irresponsible. Sit them down and talk to them about it. Report them if you have to to animal control. But don't make the animals suffer for the poor decisions of their owners, okay? It only makes you as shitty as the owners that can't be arsed to take care of their own pets.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
ni-pah kawaii

Doing something and thinking about it are very different. Much harder to actually do something like that b/c despite what it may look like, I do have a conscious...conscience?...I don't remember the spelling for how I wish to use the word.

It's not the first issue, and I'm sure not the last, but every relationship has issues.

:Edit:
Heading to bed now. Thanks for replies at all.

Thinking about it is the first step to taking action over it. I say this, because my downstairs neighbor did it himself, for the same reason. Hated dogs, didn't want it, she made him buy it, he let it loose.. It ended up attacking me, causing me many stitches, bruises, and could have killed me. He always threatened to do it, but then later said that he would never actually go through it. Well, he had enough of cleaning up after the dog, dealing with it, and let it go to die in the ice rain. You could end up doing the same thing, and something could happen from it that can change lives... Just saying. sweatdrop

No worries on the spelling, I totally do not remember how to spell it right now myself. xd

Relationships do have issues, struggles, etc. But relationships have COMPROMISE in those cases. If you two cannot see eye-to-eye over something like this, then how many more arguments will end like this? Saying spiteful things to pick at each other? Does that sound like a good relationship? What if she decided to not get the dog, then you come home, one day, and there it is? Then what? It sounds like it is something that could easily happen.

Hope that you have a good night. Sometimes it takes a night to clear the head. heart

Tipsy Hunter

You two have to come to some kind of compromise on this. I think the bigger issue is that neither of you is willing to budge. You should have a serious discussion about this. Not a "I don't want a dog" discussion, but a "we need to respect each others wants and needs" discussion.

With the pet issue, it sounds pretty alarming that she wouldn't be able to care for it herself. That sounds like it would end up in you doing all the caring for while she does all the playing with. That's what you're the most worried about it sounds like.

Maybe you should discuss starting with a different pet. Something lower maintenance that's easier to look after. Maybe if you two can come to a compromise on that, then you can become more comfortable with making a compromise on a pet like a dog. Remind her that having a dog is a huge commitment and a lot of work. People seem to think having a dog is just feeding it and taking it for a walk, but it's much much more than that, especially if you want to train it. If she won't budge, then she is not being fair to you and she needs to realize that this is a deal breaker for you.

I think the real question to ask yourself is: is this whole pet issue really worth ending the relationship over? If you don't think it is, then try to work with her with this. This isn't an impossible issue to fix, you're just going to need to work at it.

Sparkly Smoker

ni-pah kawaii

Humane societies are often open on weekends and volunteering would only require an hour of your time or less, but alas, it all depends on how willing you are to fix the issue. Many animals there are already spayed/neutered, house broken and well-tempered so many of the obstacles are already taken care of, if you do decide to adopt.

I do agree that maybe a couple of years without pets would be good for you. You obviously resent your parents' dogs and being without them may help clear your head. Though, I don't advise you to lead your girlfriend on if you tell her this, just to shut her up. Make sure she understands that its an if, not a when.

I hope you two figure things out. If your relationship means more to you than whether or not you have a pet, you should come to a compromise eventually.
You're being very pig headed, and insensitive about this. She wants a dog, this would bring her happiness, why are you so against that? You admit that your opinion of owning a pet is based off of bad past experiences. You seem intelligent enough to know that one bad experience shouldn't shape your whole outlook on something. Dogs, when trained properly, are amazing animals and can really enrich a person's life. She even said she'd do all the work. Is your happiness more important than hers, even when you have next to nothing to lose in compromising?

My advice to you is to do some research on dog ownership, dog training techniques, dog breeds, etc. Immerse yourself in the topic. Visit local shelters, or spend some time with friends who own dogs.Try to overcome the bad experiences you've had before. Once you feel you've had enough information, then make an educated decision with your girlfriend. If you still feel like you can't handle having a dog, then so be it. Don't move in together. Problem solved.

The comment you made about one day leaving the door open and letting the dog out was pretty sick though. Surely you must know that. It concerns me how much vitriol and disdain you have against these creatures who have done nothing to you.

Spoopy Kitten

What you said was, on some level, sickening. If you did that, you have a high risk of getting the dog/dogs killed. She may have taken it as you saying "i dont care if our future dog/pets die by my fault", which is also sickening to hear as someone who loves animals

This looks like a deal breaker situation to me. If you dont get a pet, you will be happy but she will resent you. If you do get a pet, she will be happy but you will resent her. One of you needs to give in and hope for the best, or you two need to sit down and talk about if this is a deal breaker situation for the both of you

Inquisitive Rogue

15,525 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Threadmaster 200
She can get a pet if she wants to.. just tell her that you won't be able to move in with her.

Feral Bibliophile

13,750 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Breaking up is probably the best route. If I were her, I wouldn't trust someone who hates dogs with my dog at all, especially if they were going to be alone with them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff