Welcome to Gaia! ::

He obviously won't listen to reason, so just hit him with a baton in his left knee cap.
Lord Boethiah
Riviera de la Mancha
Lord Boethiah
So there is this Muslim guy in my class who is trying to convert me into Islam. I want him to leave me alone. I don't bother him with books like "The God Delusion" so why does he have to annoy me with the Qur'an. Hey Muslims of Gaia how do I get this douche bag off my back without hurting his feelings.

You could probably start by not looking at him as a douche bag for trying to spread his faith. The best answers to problems come when you stop looking at it as a problem.

Sounds hippy, but I promise, if you remember when you deal with the guy that he is doing this as a kind of love to you (whether you see it as that or not), then there will be no soreness when you tell him unequivocally and in no uncertain terms that you are not in the market for a new faith.

1. He is a douche bag from spreading his faith. I don't know if you read your history books but religious conversion has been the source of plenty of wars.

2. It is a problem because he is inconveniencing me.

3. He is not doing this out of love. He is doing this for his faith.

4. I have my personal beliefs. I don't need Muslims and other religious people poo pooing on the things I love.

Again, I suggest not choosing to interpet his actions as mal-intentioned, as it is almost certainly not. He spreads his faith because he has found a value in it and wishes to share what he has gained. That hardly constitutes malice of any kind. You conceive of faith and love as different things, when, for many people of faith, its not.

I have also read plenty of history books, and those efforts at conversion came at gun or knife point or economic sanctions. No matter how sore you feel, you don't have that. It seems to me like he is, at worst, being annoying in his process of conversion.

Welcome to being an adult- EVERYTHING at some point is an inconvenience to you. Guy in the car lane in front of you who won't turn right when there is no cross traffic? Inconvenience. Chick in the next cubicle who can't shut up about nailing some guy in the office? Inconvenience. Etc.

As I suggested, begin from a different perspective. Don't hold on to your anger and let it blind you to alternative, and much more pluasible, ways to proceed with the same goal. Here, getting the guy to stop trying to convert you without hurting his feelings and making work stressful in the process.
Sir Fharlanghn
He obviously won't listen to reason, so just hit him with a baton in his left knee cap.

Sounds good. Yep- there is no way a person of faith is going to interpret force applied ot them to get them to 'keep quiet' as violent.
Riviera de la Mancha
Sir Fharlanghn

Sounds good. Yep- there is no way a person of faith is going to interpret force applied ot them to get them to 'keep quiet' as violent.
You're cute when you try to belittle people's statements. Even if they are being sarcastic.
Sir Fharlanghn
Riviera de la Mancha
Sir Fharlanghn

You're cute when you try to belittle people's statements. Even if they are being sarcastic.

How terrible of me that I could not intuit your intent behind my computer screen. Could you evah fohguive me?!?!?!questionexclaimationmark! 4laugh

Hilarious Hunter

Riviera de la Mancha
Sir Fharlanghn
Riviera de la Mancha
Sir Fharlanghn

How terrible of me that I could not intuit your intent behind my computer screen. Could you evah fohguive me?!?!?!questionexclaimationmark! 4laugh

M'raq wonders where the other inquisitioners are.

Unless of course, you are alumbrado.

Lucky Survivor

12,750 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Lord Boethiah
So there is this Muslim guy in my class who is trying to convert me into Islam. I want him to leave me alone. I don't bother him with books like "The God Delusion" so why does he have to annoy me with the Qur'an. Hey Muslims of Gaia how do I get this douche bag off my back without hurting his feelings.

For starters, really cool avi! Secondly, you may try saying "thanks, I will give it some serious thought" then give the illusion you care, you are thinking and he did his job.

Hilarious Noob

3,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
OK first of all you gotta stop showing any interest. Secondly, you can tell him politely to stop trying to convert you and that you are content with your own personal beliefs and way of life. And if that fails, just tell him how would he feel if you did the same thing to him and tried to convert him to your faith.You may feel free to raise your voice so everyone else hears (and so does this guy). If that fails too, then just put me on a Skype chat with him and being a former Muslim myself (agnostic now) , i'll debate that religion out of him.
Riviera de la Mancha
Lord Boethiah

You could probably start by not looking at him as a douche bag for trying to spread his faith. The best answers to problems come when you stop looking at it as a problem.

Sounds hippy, but I promise, if you remember when you deal with the guy that he is doing this as a kind of love to you (whether you see it as that or not), then there will be no soreness when you tell him unequivocally and in no uncertain terms that you are not in the market for a new faith.

Here is the thing, they are a problem, a big problem.

This guy is causing the OP to want to miss class, and he goes out of his way to avoid the religious idiot. That under many school codes is bullying and or harassment.

I have tried your route many times before, with the JW's the moron Mormans, Catholics, Christians, you name it I have had it come to my door. Normally I ask nicely for them to leave and not to come back. Then they show up a month later, it got to the point I had to:

1) threaten them with tresspassing. When that didn't work I had to go to:
2) I see them coming up my drive I get my shot gun and threaten to feed them to the animals.

Did number 2 work? Yes for most and then there were the JW's and the moron Mormans who got shot with my rubber pellets because they didn't heed my warning. You are private property, you have been asked nicely to leave and don't come back, I have a right to get you off my property if that means force is needed.
Happy Kambucha
Riviera de la Mancha
Lord Boethiah

This guy is causing the OP to want to miss class, and he goes out of his way to avoid the religious idiot. That under many school codes is bullying and or harassment.

I have tried your route many times before, with the JW's the moron Mormans, Catholics, Christians, you name it I have had it come to my door. Normally I ask nicely for them to leave and not to come back. Then they show up a month later, it got to the point I had to:

2) I see them coming up my drive I get my shot gun and threaten to feed them to the animals.

Did number 2 work? Yes for most and then there were the JW's and the moron Mormans who got shot with my rubber pellets because they didn't heed my warning. You are private property, you have been asked nicely to leave and don't come back, I have a right to get you off my property if that means force is needed.

Again, his sentiments begin with his choice to see this as a problem. I have been in similar situations and did not choose to define it as such. It is ultimately his choice to be fearful of going to class and avoiding this person. And when his choice is stemming not from something much more objectively problematic, it looses its compelling elements.

There is a way of being nice without being forceful. Its a fine art, and one not suited to modern people.

Witty Sex Symbol

8,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Riviera de la Mancha
Happy Kambucha
Riviera de la Mancha
Lord Boethiah

Again, his sentiments begin with his choice to see this as a problem. I have been in similar situations and did not choose to define it as such. It is ultimately his choice to be fearful of going to class and avoiding this person. And when his choice is stemming not from something much more objectively problematic, it looses its compelling elements.

There is a way of being nice without being forceful. Its a fine art, and one not suited to modern people.

Meh. I solved my problem. I snubbed the guy. Pretty much ignored him and didn't talk to him.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff