Welcome to Gaia! ::

My brother has been having really bad anxiety to the point where he can't drive to school or even go to class. But he has been getting better. He has been taking paxil for 3 years and 5 days ago started taking an increased risk. He was fine but today all of a sudden his heart has been beating fast all day and now he went to the hospital. He says he doesnt feel anxiety and wasnt thinking about anything but just his body is doing it on its own.

Is this normal or should I be really worried? I already am worried though

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Taking paxil for 3 years until this showed up? Yeah I would be worried too. This doesn't sound like it's part of the medicine, but you can never be too sure. I'd do research on what it does molecule and cell wise (unless you know already then ignore that). But if my hunch is right, then this is unrelated to the medicine and something much more serious is going on.

I'd just accompany him at the hospital so you can get on this too. You're his sister and you've got every right to know what's goin' on with your bro.

Just hope for the best. I'm sure he will be okay. smile emotion_hug

Friendly Shapeshifter

5,000 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
I've never been hospitalised, nor have I been officially diagnosed with anxiety, but I'd see what the doctors say about what triggered it, if they know - was it subconsciously triggered, or was it medically/biologically triggered, for one question.
Maybe get him checked out... There was a class action lawsuit there a few years ago for people who had been taking Paxil and whose children were born with heart or lung(?) defects. My dad wasn't involved in the lawsuit but I was born with a hole in my heart and conceived while he was on Paxil. It could very well affect his heart. I doubt he has anything seriously wrong with him at the moment, but it's better to get it checked out before it goes any farther.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Sorry to say this but it's not normal. He could possibly be having a panic attack or anxiety attack. I have severe anxiety and have anxiety attacks all the time. The difference is with a panic attack, you don't know why you are freaking out. With an anxiety attack, you are paranoid and freaking out on a specific thing and getting too worked up over it. Sending him to the hospital is the best thing. He can get professional help now. You should probably be there to. For him and for you to understand him better. Just give him all your support and tell him that you love him. Tell him that you just want the best for him.

I am sorry your brother is going through this, it's not fun. I hope he gets better soon, Best of luck.
He may need a new anti-depressant or a higher dose. People typically get on a new anti-depressant every 5-10 years because it becomes ineffective after taking it for so long.

Dapper Ladykiller

It does sound a little abnormal.

You are a very caring sister, BTW. smile
Reiko Iwamaru
Taking paxil for 3 years until this showed up? Yeah I would be worried too. This doesn't sound like it's part of the medicine, but you can never be too sure. I'd do research on what it does molecule and cell wise (unless you know already then ignore that). But if my hunch is right, then this is unrelated to the medicine and something much more serious is going on.

I'd just accompany him at the hospital so you can get on this too. You're his sister and you've got every right to know what's goin' on with your bro.

Well the doctor that prescribed the medicine said it isn't that but the therapist said it might be. He has been taking 20 then all of a sudden increased to 30. So now he's taking 25

At the ER, he was there for 7 hours, took x ray and everything and the doctor said nothing is worng with his heart and that he was just having panic attacks. He has been feeling better except occasional discomfort and dizziness the past few days also has a lack of energy

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru

Well the doctor that prescribed the medicine said it isn't that but the therapist said it might be. He has been taking 20 then all of a sudden increased to 30. So now he's taking 25

At the ER, he was there for 7 hours, took x ray and everything and the doctor said nothing is worng with his heart and that he was just having panic attacks. He has been feeling better except occasional discomfort and dizziness the past few days also has a lack of energy

Hmm.....Discomfort, dizziness and lack of energy....are those the symptoms for new dosage of medicine he's taking right now? If not, then it's something else and that's what scares me. Maybe set up a doctor's appointment and see if it's something else. If it's not something wrong with his heart, then maybe it's the other two primaries---brain and stomach.
The best thing you can do is what you are doing right now smile
You are a loving and strong sister and that is what he needs most of all.

Soldier on, love. He WILL get through this <3
Reiko Iwamaru
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru

Hmm.....Discomfort, dizziness and lack of energy....are those the symptoms for new dosage of medicine he's taking right now? If not, then it's something else and that's what scares me. Maybe set up a doctor's appointment and see if it's something else. If it's not something wrong with his heart, then maybe it's the other two primaries---brain and stomach.

I mean they seem like side affects but who knows

None of the doctors here are any good

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru

Ahh I see. I don't mean to ask like such a thing, but where do you live? (continent/country wise)
Asking because medical fields differ I think in different areas.

Anxious Lunatic

Just be there for him. It could be that the anxiety is coming back, only this time worse. Relapse is common with anxiety and stress. No matter what happens, just let him know that you've got his back.
Reiko Iwamaru
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru

Ahh I see. I don't mean to ask like such a thing, but where do you live? (continent/country wise)

LA, CA, USA

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru
nothingagainst
Reiko Iwamaru

LA, CA, USA

Ahh I see. The medical field there in Cali are much different. Have you researched other clinics in Cali. It doesn't have to be too far from where you live, but just good enough to reach your brother and visit him and obviously make sure he is doing well in that clinic. Search up some and check them out. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff